Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Market for McCann

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    He isn't going to get many more years from an NL club and the money is just 3 mill per yr short

If you guys think he is going for the highest bidder so be it. I don't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    LMAO better person by what standards? Yours?
    There could be a lot of reasons he would want to play elsewhere. Money is one of them, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Your paragraph there makes you sound like a bad person, not Mac.
    By the standard of not being consumed by greed. There is more to life than getting every dollar you can. At the point your making 13 million a year its not about providing for yourself or your family, its about greed. I am not trying to make McCann out to be a bad person, I think he does give the Braves a discount the only question is if it will be enough. I would view it a lot differently if he wasnt born locally and grew up a fan of the team. For instance I despise LeBron for leaving the Cavs and he left for less money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    By the standard of not being consumed by greed. There is more to life than getting every dollar you can. At the point your making 13 million a year its not about providing for yourself or your family, its about greed. I am not trying to make McCann out to be a bad person, I think he does give the Braves a discount the only question is if it will be enough. I would view it a lot differently if he wasnt born locally and grew up a fan of the team. For instance I despise LeBron for leaving the Cavs and he left for less money.
    Most players (who are people) pursue the money, or want to get as much value as possible. That's not being "consumed by greed." It's natural to want to get what you're worth. And like I said, he could go to an AL that gives him more money for 1.the money 2. a better career situation

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...pan/index.html

Chipper reworked his contract after the 2005 season saving the team 15 million over 3 years so they could be more competitive. His loyalty to the team is part of his legacy. He was getting paid 16 million a year 10 years ago so he wasnt getting chump change but the team had more money back then too. When someone talks about the draft and the #1 overall pick you almost always hear them say that you want to draft the next Chipper Jones with that pick. People will be saying that for the next 20+ years. Teams have made trades with the Braves specifically saying they wanted a player who had played with Chipper Jones. I just want to see Brian continue the legacy of Chipper Jones. I do think people are jumping to conclusions that he will leave for more money. The reason he wasnt extended was because he was having down years so it was hard to pin down what his value was. Obviously McCann thought those years were abberations and the Braves needed to make sure of that before committing a ton of money to him.

Chipper defered money to later yrs, agreeing to take less annually, but simply spread out more. He didn't give any money back. And the players union would never, ever allow a player to give money back.

Arizona Fall Leaguer Sheffield10's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    You despise LeBron because you are a hater.

The guy took less money to be part of a dynasty and shape basketball in a different way. Instead of only thinking for himself, and his spotlight.

That's ridiculous.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Let's be realistic here.

6 months ago, the Braves gave BJ Upton $15 million a year. They gave Dan Uggla $13 million a year. Brian McCann is twice the player BJ Upton is. If I'm him, and the Braves offered me less than they gave BJ Upton, I'd be really insulted. It doesn't matter how much money he has or can lead to a comfortable life. It's that the Atlanta Braves don't value McCann more than BJ Upton.

I'd be shocked if he stayed for less than $15 million, and won't begrudge him a bit if we lowball him and he leaves.
    Basically this, though I don't agree with the BJ part. Different positions, ages, and market. But if we don't make a competitive offer and he walks, I don't see how anyone could fault him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I don't think that's very competitive.
    I think that's pretty close. About the same annual rate as his 2013 salary, but 4 guaranteed yrs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think that's pretty close. About the same annual rate as his 2013 salary, but 4 guaranteed yrs.
    4/50 is just over 12 mil a year. Someone will offer him at least 15 mil a year. Making 12 mil not competitive.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    4/50 is just over 12 mil a year. Someone will offer him at least 15 mil a year. Making 12 mil not competitive.
    Molina got 5/75 I don't think Mac will.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I don't think its a bad as your making it out to be. The braves could make up the difference in a signing Bonus paid out of the life of the contract. I am not a worried about McCann leaving as I am the braves not being able to sign Freeman or Heyward long term.

The braves have the money to sign McCann and keep most of the young guys here.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    He isn't going to get many more years from an NL club and the money is just 3 mill per yr short

If you guys think he is going for the highest bidder so be it. I don't
    Well, it depends.

I don't think he'd take 4 years, 45-50 million.

Maybe a lesser discount but not that low.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Eh, may be. Will depend how the market shakes out. Napoli only got a 3 yr 36 million offer from the BoSox I believe, before he failed his physical. While Napoli is/was mainly a DH, his bat is very similar to Macs (which is really what you're paying for) and they will be roughly the same age as Napoli was last off-season. Now Mac is obviously a better hitter than Napoli and is having a much better yr up to this point,so I'd expect him to get more than that. It certainly possible Mac could get 15 million per from someone. But I think he'll get somewhere around 4/60 give or take 5 million no where he goes, So if we offered 4/50 or 4/55, I think that would be a decent offer.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Well, it depends.

I don't think he'd take 4 years, 45-50 million.

Maybe a lesser discount but not that low.

Most he gets is an avg of 15 per year IMO

Its all about the years for the braves. They might could front load it but he isn't getting 60 million from the braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Eh, may be. Will depend how the market shakes out. Napoli only got a 3 yr 36 million offer from the BoSox I believe, before he failed his physical. While Napoli is/was mainly a DH, his bat is very similar to Macs (which is really what you're paying for) and they will be roughly the same age as Napoli was last off-season. Now Mac is obviously a better hitter than Napoli and is having a much better yr up to this point,so I'd expect him to get more than that. It certainly possible Mac could get 15 million per from someone. But I think he'll get somewhere around 4/60 give or take 5 million no where he goes, So if we offered 4/50 or 4/55, I think that would be a decent offer.
    What you said pretty much explains why Mac will get more. Napoli is a DH, Mac can legit play catcher which is much more valuable. Mac is also ~3 years younger.
    I don't see what would stop the Rangers or Yankees from offering him 4/60 or 5/75 knowing they can slide him to DH in 3-4 years. We'll see. I certainly want to keep him. His bat is really great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Molina got 5/75 I don't think Mac will.
    That was also 2012, and Molina is older (albeit a better and more in-shape catcher).
    But Mac does have a better bat (despite Yadi's high avg this year) and I personally think an AL team will be dying to have him.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    That was also 2012, and Molina is older (albeit a better and more in-shape catcher).
    But Mac does have a better bat (despite Yadi's high avg this year) and I personally think an AL team will be dying to have him.
    Molina is also a once in a generation defender and almost universally regarded as the better player.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Molina is also a once in a generation defender and almost universally regarded as the better player.
    I don't disagree.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    What you said pretty much explains why Mac will get more. Napoli is a DH, Mac can legit play catcher which is much more valuable. Mac is also ~3 years younger.
    I don't see what would stop the Rangers or Yankees from offering him 4/60 or 5/75 knowing they can slide him to DH in 3-4 years. We'll see. I certainly want to keep him. His bat is really great.
    Napoli was 31 when he signed his contract. Mac will be 29 and turning 30 before the ink dries on his new contract. Again, roughly the same age when they will have signed their respective contracts.

Question is, how much more do teams value Mac than Napoli? Is it 30 million more? I'm not so sure. Again, much of it will depend how the market shakes out this fall. It isn't an all that appealing group of free agents.
    Last edited by Carp; 08-15-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    Most he gets is an avg of 15 per year IMO

Its all about the years for the braves. They might could front load it but he isn't getting 60 million from the braves.
    Then he's playing elsewhere.

It will cost minimum 5/75 to keep him which is what Yadi got.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Napoli was 31 when he signed his contract. Mac will be 29 and turning 30 before the ink dries on his new contract. Again, roughly the same age when they will have signed their respective contracts.

Question is, how much more do teams value Mac than Napoli? Is it 30 million more? I'm not so sure. Again, much of it will depend how the market shakes out this fall. It isn't an all that appealing group of free agents.
    Well, you have to figure in that MCCann can actually catch.