Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'll be celebrating for a while if we get out of tomorrow night with Wright and Vientos.
    I'd have to think it would be more like Baz/Haseley and Vientos as I doubt Wright signs much underslot. I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the higher FOs on Vientos given Kiley and the contacts from his writing days that I have long suspected were Braves sources.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Hedging again (as always), but if the brass really thinks they can get Beck (Tristan) at #41, I really think you have to go highest-ceiling bat at #5. I watched Wright pretty closely last night, and just don't see the ceiling of a Top 5 pick - for a rebuilding franchise. Don't get me wrong, I think Wright will be successful at the MLB level, but I saw a #3/#4 starter. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think we already have a number of arms who will be at least as successful.

If the scouts are bigger believers in Lewis or Haseley and can sleep at night if they go with one of them instead of Austin Beck's ceiling, I can live with that. I just don't think I'll be happy at all if they pass on those three bats when they may well be getting a better Pitcher than Wright at #41. Bridges made it a point to mention that they're seriously considering several bats, and if the first four off the board are some combination of Greene/McKay/Wright/Gore then we SHOULD have our choice of the highest bats available (I'm guessing that talk of moving McKay to a corner OF spot is simply a smokescreen obviously).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Why does everyone think Tristan Beck will be there at #41? My guess is everyone in baseball knows his asking price and unless he is a "Braves or Else" guy, why wouldn't someone else take a flyer on him. Twins and Reds each have two picks before the Braves' 2nd-rounder. Why wouldn't they be interested?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Why does everyone think Tristan Beck will be there at #41? My guess is everyone in baseball knows his asking price and unless he is a "Braves or Else" guy, why wouldn't someone else take a flyer on him. Twins and Reds each have two picks before the Braves' 2nd-rounder. Why wouldn't they be interested?
    I'm not "sure" he will be at all. Like so many others have noted, he fits our recent profile - being unafraid to go after previously injured kids with high upsides. Thing is, that's dangerous since the Gnats aren't ever scared of those guys either and Longenhagen has them scooping Beck up at #26 in his latest mock.

I just don't see any way the Braves go hitter-hitter-hitter at the top of ANY draft, so if the first four off the board (in some order) are Greene/McKay/Wright/Gore and you think Beck will be gone when #41 comes around, you either need to pick Baz at #5 or you'd be looking at one of the previously-injured South Carolina arms in the second round (unless Brendon Little slides).

Can anyone fathom how odd it would be for this current brass to wait to take a Pitcher until the 110th overall pick?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Thing is high end pitching really isn't the strength of the draft

It looks to me to be a HS OF draft

I think the quickest way to blow a MLB draft is to pick because of a perceived need.

It's like taking a catcher high simply because you think you need someone to catch the young arms

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Just go with BPA. Whether that be Lewis or Wright if he falls. I'd be happy with either.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just go with BPA. Whether that be Lewis or Wright if he falls. I'd be happy with either.
    Yeah, it really seems that simple. One of Wright, Lewis or Gore will be there at 5. Take that guy, and don't try to be so clever you miss out on the best talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Pipeline reporting we are looking at underslot deals at 5, mentions Pratto and Lutz.

Don't do this, Braves. Come on.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Pipeline reporting we are looking at underslot deals at 5, mentions Pratto and Lutz.

Don't do this, Braves. Come on.
    Boooooooo.

Can't we for once go with BPA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If we take Pratto or Lutz somebody needs to be fired. We don't have the most money and to many teams can draft whoever and give them more money. Take BPA and be done. It's not rocket science.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If we take Pratto or Lutz somebody needs to be fired. We don't have the most money and to many teams can draft whoever and give them more money. Take BPA and be done. It's not rocket science.
    I like what they did last year, partially because I really like Ian and also because we had the extra picks to pull it off.

We don't have those extra picks this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I will kill someone. I pray we get Wright or Lewis.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Watch us do that and Pratto ends up as an elite bat.

Draft overreactions can really be amazing.

And I'm with everyone else, I want Lewis or Gore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    The night before the Draft is a time when rumors of deals can run rampant. This year appears no different, with the Rays at 4 and the Braves at 5 the teams subject to the most speculation right now. In both cases, the deal would include signing a player for well below pick value in order to use the savings to aggressively go after talent with later picks.
    Tampa is being mentioned with just one name: Bubba Thompson. Thompson, a two-sport star from the Alabama high school ranks, is No. 26 on our Top 200 Draft prospects list and will be in attendance at MLB Network on Monday night. The Rays have the third-highest Draft bonus pool at just over $12.5 million. They have a Competitive Balance Round A pick at No. 31, then their second-round selection at No. 40. There is still a very good chance they'll take the best player available, someone like Royce Lewis, but they do like Thompson's tools, and the money saved could come in handy with those next two picks.
    Atlanta appears to have many balls in the air currently. If Lewis or Vanderbilt right-hander Kyle Wright gets to the Braves at five (something that could certainly happen at this point), they could certainly go that route. But they could also decide to cut a deal, something they did at No. 3 last year with Ian Anderson, allowing them to get high school arms like Joey Wentz and Kyle Muller for above pick value. If they wanted to go the high school arm route again, Shane Baz is the name that comes up often. But there are lot of bats in play as potential money-savers. On the high school side, there's Nick Pratto, the SoCal first baseman, as well as Texas outfielder Tristen Lutz. And if a college hitter is what they're in the market for, Virginia's Adam Haseley has long been associated with this pick and the Braves have talked to Keston Hiura as well. Pratto, Lutz and Hiura all came in for workouts in Atlanta.
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/234660...icid=151437456

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Watch us do that and Pratto ends up as an elite bat.

Draft overreactions can really be amazing.

And I'm with everyone else, I want Lewis or Gore.
    The logic of it is just bad. He's a HS first baseman without power who projects to hit for average. A team that can't afford to buy superstars on the open market shouldn't be spending high picks on players like that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    The logic of it is just bad. He's a HS first baseman without power who projects to hit for average. A team that can't afford to buy superstars on the open market shouldn't be spending high picks on players like that.
    This. Hiura wouldn't be a great pick either, but he is at least justifiable as he is a legitimate middle of the order bat and has experience at multiple positions. If not for the injury, he could have been a top 5 pick anyways.

I want no part of Lutz and especially Pratto at No. 5. Hell, I'd rather have Jake Burger or Drew Ellis at 5, and both of them are still huge reaches.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Agree. I would say Lutz makes better sense. At least he profiles similar to Beck and has a more known track record. I actually like Lutz better than Beck in fact.

Having said that, I like Lewis, Gore or Baz better and would hope to get an OF at 41 as BPA should the option present itself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I am looking forward to the Braves taking some under slot guy at 5, and then reading posi-Braves defend him as BPA for the next 5 years just like they are currently doing with Anderson.

Tomorrow could really suck as a Braves fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I am looking forward to the Braves taking some under slot guy at 5, and then reading posi-Braves defend him as BPA for the next 5 years just like they are currently doing with Anderson.

Tomorrow could really suck as a Braves fan.
    Why? It's the MLB draft. Over half of first rounders never get to the show. Only like 15 percent are positive war for their careers. It's a crap shoot at best

Ppl were down on Anderson but he's been pretty dang good. Draft them again and he's not lasting long. I'm more questioning wentz and mueller than anderson.

It sounds like green is the only obvious guy. McKay might be. Everything else is in the eye of the beholder.

If anything this group deserves a pass on its drafts and trading crappy players. They've killed that so far.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Braves have drafted well under new regime, would suck to pass on a Wright, Lewis or Gore or someone else.

But the draft is a crapshoot.