Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1271

Thread: Official pre-Draft thread

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    And THAT might be where we are cooling on him.

If we have something decent lined up with say Beck and know we need a little more to make it happen, then that's basically off the table to go over slot at 5.
    The problem there is that it makes no sense to have to depend on your #1 pick to get extra money. All we would have to do is sign scrubs for 10-25 K a pop during some/all of the rounds between 4-10 and we could easily afford whoever we wanted at pick 2. Given that picks in that range have a horrible hit rate anyway, it'd be far more effective to draft BPA at 1 and do that. If we had multiple picks in the second round range and actually needed the money to sign someone that would be one thing, but we don't.
    Last edited by auyushu; 06-12-2017 at 02:25 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I think we end up with Wright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't understand your attempt at being clever. The "experts" get their info directly from scouts and front office personnel...who are informed by scouts.

The stuff we are discussing is second hand info pulled directly from the scouting community.

Cant even agree with you without an argument. Again, lets just fire the scouts to save that money and draft BPA according to BA.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Cant even agree with you without an argument. Again, lets just fire the scouts to save that money and draft BPA according to BA.
    I still don't get it. BA gets its info from the scouts you are so cleverly suggesting they fire. The entire cleverness of your comments hinges on the false conclusion that we are saying these scouts are not needed now that prospect rankings are so prevalent.

Your "jokes" can't even follow consistent logic haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I only suggested we fire our scouts. I doubt the entirety of prospect "experts" get all their info from our scouts.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    It is logical to draw the following series of conclusions:

1. Sites that post prospect rankings gather info from sources employed by many different teams, therefore....

2. Those rankings are a pretty good approximation of the general consensus of the quality of prospects by the industry, therefore,

3. If the Braves value players differently than those rankings, the Braves are either,

A. Smarter than everyone else, or,

B. Dumber than everyone else, or,

C. Blowing smoke up your asses about who they consider BPA, and you bought it due to the fact you are either,

a. Stupid, or,
    b. A blind posi-Barve.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I think we end up with Wright.
    I hope so. Better not reach again.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    The problem there is that it makes no sense to have to depend on your #1 pick to get extra money. All we would have to do is sign scrubs for 10-25 K a pop during some/all of the rounds between 4-10 and we could easily afford whoever we wanted at pick 2. Given that picks in that range have a horrible hit rate anyway, it'd be far more effective to draft BPA at 1 and do that. If we had multiple picks in the second round range and actually needed the money to sign someone that would be one thing, but we don't.

At this point, the debate is not going to change anyone's minds, but the math absolutely can make sense.

There is more money to be saved at the top of the draft than there is further down.

Saving money at the top means you sign more prospects overall, which theoretically will spread the risk.

Quite possibly a team could rate several players as equivalent prospects and choose to sign the one who will sign for the least. if that's truly their rating doesn't that make perfect sense?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I will play your game Spok.

1. Sites using sources employed by many teams would make their rankings an average of what teams think.

2. If one team thinks Mike Trout is the #1 player in the draft and another thinks he is 45th that would average out to 22/23. Some teams can think highly of a player and others less, so we might be one of 10 teams that thinks a player is a top 10 pick whereas 10 think the player is a top 15 pick and 10 more think he is top 20. Just because a player averages ranked 15th does not mean we are the only team to think that player should be ranked higher. And I think we should strive to be better than average. In theory if they take input from every team

3. Why would teams employ scouts that give away their work for free to be posted online? I would be wary of the intentions of the people giving out the info.

4. Rankings change rapidly. Soroka was rising up rankings at the last second last year that wasnt reflected on "experts" rankings.

5. If your so damn smart try a shadow draft of the Braves picks and we can see how that works out over the years.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I already have. We will see how Kyle Lewis turns out compared to Ian Anderson. I have never waivered from that preference.

I'll go ahead and set my preference for the Braves this year as Wright/Lewis tied, with Gore right behind them. We can compare those picks to whichever under slot guy the Barves take this year.

Meanwhile, you can keep on posi-Barving day after day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Theres a lot more to the draft than the first pick. And silly me I thought a Braves forum was a place to root for the Braves. Your as much a Braves fan as I am a Yankee fan.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Theres a lot more to the draft than the first pick. And silly me I thought a Braves forum was a place to root for the Braves. Your as much a Braves fan as I am a Yankee fan.
    Yeah, there is tons of discussion about who the Barves are going to take after pick 5. That was sarcasm by the way.

Folks are talking about pick 5, and sometimes make a small mention about pick 41. But feel free to bring up irrelevant points as usual haha.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I already have. We will see how Kyle Lewis turns out compared to Ian Anderson. I have never waivered from that preference.

I'll go ahead and set my preference for the Braves this year as Wright/Lewis tied, with Gore right behind them. We can compare those picks to whichever under slot guy the Barves take this year.

Meanwhile, you can keep on posi-Barving day after day.
    Are Beck and Adell now "underslot" guys for you? Two weeks ago they were among the best players available in your view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Thats only because we dont know who will be available at those picks. There will be a lot of discussion about all those picks when we get closer to them.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    LOL, still trying to call Anderson BPA. Same exact line every time. I expect you will use the same line again when the Barves draft Hiura.
    If not for the injury issues, he's probably the first college bat taken. And it's a valid concern and a reason I don't want to draft him at 5. But some team will get a steal if he falls out of the 1st 15 picks and he doesn't need TJS.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If not for the injury issues, he's probably the first college bat taken. And it's a valid concern and a reason I don't want to draft him at 5. But some team will get a steal if he falls out of the 1st 15 picks and he doesn't need TJS.
    It is a little ironic to see so many people upset that the Braves might take the best college bat available. Granted, the injury is significant.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Are Beck and Adell now "underslot" guys for you? Two weeks ago they were among the best players available in your view.
    Two weeks ago we didn't have the information we do now. Things have stabilized and a clear Top 5 have emerged.

Notice how I changed my views based on assimilating new info? Notice how that's different than being a posi-Barve?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Law says Vientos likely goes 20-35 but won't get past us at 41.
    That's an amazing stretch, eh? Wonder if he got that info from Enscheff?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It is a little ironic to see so many people upset that the Braves might take the best college bat available. Granted, the injury is significant.
    Yeah, why wouldn't an NL team want a position player with no true position on defense?

I suppose the team who runs Kemp out in LF and never subs for him defensively would value a player like that haha.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    That's an amazing stretch, eh? Wonder if he got that info from Enscheff?
    Maybe from your blog that's full of amazing info, like your Sale trade proposal and your claim the Braves would have already traded guys like Garcia by now.

Derp!!