Page 28 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    The Braves need bullpen arms stat...they have way too many guys in there that have no business pitching meaningful innings. I don't fell comfortable with any of the guys there pitching in a close game. I know the Braves don't have many blown saves, but pretty much every guy in the pen has control issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    What about romo? He's on 1-year contract. Era is high, but FIP is good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What about romo? He's on 1-year contract. Era is high, but FIP is good.
    And he’s been a leverage guy his career. Not a bad option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Can Gennett play 3rd? Pick him up!
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    With 2 HOF pitchers in their prime,throwing every other night? They were virtually guaranteed to win 3 games out of a 7 game series.
    But even the best are bound to have bad games.

Minus that you act like they weren't going up against Clemens, Pettite, and Mussina, all 3 HOF level pitchers even though there's tarnish to them.

Plus even with Schilling and Johnson pitching, they still won't have a 0.00 ERA, you have to outscore a team with a lineup consisting of CraigCounsell, Matt Williams, Tony Womack, Damian Miller, Reggie Sanders, and Mark Grace. The lone legit talent was Luis Gonzalez. Matt Williams was decent, but it was like when we got Troy Glaus, a guy who used to be quite awesome who could provide a few great moments, but mostly failure. Same with Grace.

Reality was that Diamondbacks team was lucky. Sure they were a good team, they had 2 of the best pitchers of their era pitching at their best, that's something. But they still had to get lucky. I point no further than 1996. Maddux, SMoltz, and Glavine were all lights out. 36.2 IP allowed 7 runs, 5 earned over 5 starts. Yankees won the right games. Because that's the type of **** that happens in the playoffs. Sometimes you do everything right one way, and then the other team just manages to get a few lucky wins. They string together all their hits in a short pan of a few games, etc.

Also consider the cast of the 2008 and 2009 Phillies. 2008 Phillies won the world series with a rotation of Hamels, Blanton, Myers, and Moyer, 2009 swap out Myers for CLiff Lee and Moyer for Pedro. In2009 they returned basically the same lineup except for Raul Ibanez instead of Pat Burrell. By most metrics they were a better team in 09 than 08, except for the Hwoard factor of course. But anyway, instead of winning the series 4-1 they lost 4-2, why does it matter? They hit a better team. Even with Lee pitching great, it didn't amtter because Blanton and co couldn't get Yankees out. 2010 Phillies should have been better, with Hamels, Oswalt, and Halladay, but they didn't even make the World Series as they were bested by Cody Ross and the Giants.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Alex Anthopoulos
    3:19 Would a package of Fried, Gohara, Pache and a 20-30 prospect get one of Syndergaard, deGrom or Fulmer?
    Jeffrey Todd
    3:19 I don't think so.

Getting a pitcher like that is going to hurt...bad.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Alex Anthopoulos
    3:19 Would a package of Fried, Gohara, Pache and a 20-30 prospect get one of Syndergaard, deGrom or Fulmer?
    Jeffrey Todd

I mean you have to figure that would get you in the door. You never how other GM's value certain prospects. I'd have to think Detroit would entertain that idea. Fulmer isn't exactly building value by losing another controllable year while having a so-so season. I think Detroit would be wise to wait til the off-season, though, when the pitching market will be super thin and they'll have a longer time to negotiate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Alex Anthopoulos
    Jeffrey Todd

Yeah, as attractive as someone like DeGrom or Thor would be in the rotation... it would be an awful mistake. Not sure how Fulmer is even mentioned here though... not quite the same level at the moment lol

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yeah, as attractive as someone like DeGrom or Thor would be in the rotation... it would be an awful mistake. Not sure how Fulmer is even mentioned here though... not quite the same level at the moment lol
    How would it be an awful mistake? Ar some point the Braves are going to have to trade some of the young pitching. If the Braves could get a true TOR pitcher like say DeGrom and a reliever for Gohara, Wright, Wentz, Mueller and Ramos I'd do that 10x outta 10. DeGrom isn't a rental and he'd be that TOR the Braves are missing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    How would it be an awful mistake? Ar some point the Braves are going to have to trade some of the young pitching. If the Braves could get a true TOR pitcher like say DeGrom and a reliever for Gohara, Wright, Wentz, Mueller and Ramos I'd do that 10x outta 10. DeGrom isn't a rental and he'd be that TOR the Braves are missing.
    You wouldn't even be able to touch DeGrom with that package. It'd be a huge mistake because we don't need starting pitching! Plus we are already seeing glimpses of TOR potential in a few of our young pitchers. Folty has been one of the best pitchers in the league this year. Out of Newcomb, Wright, Touki, Fried, Anderson, Allard, Wentz, etc... the chances are decent they we will develop 1-3 more TOR or close pitchers. Why spend our depth on a position we simply don't need? Obviously we are gonna have to unload some prospects soon... I wasn't advocating holding them. You'd be decimating the system for a position you don't need who could have a career ending injury any start... that's a huge mistake.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I’d happily trade two guys that aren’t regularly in the rotation for an ace with three more years of control.

It’s a no brainer honestly but we have to have this anguish about every Braves prospect because they are all so special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I’d happily trade two guys that aren’t regularly in the rotation for an ace with three more years of control.

It’s a no brainer honestly but we have to have this anguish about every Braves prospect because they are all so special.
    i'd do that too...i don't think the mets would
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Again... you will NEVER get one of those guys for anywhere close to that package proposed.... I would also likely to it for that poster's proposed deal... the Mets would laugh hysterically

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    You do that if you are one player away. We are not....near....one player away.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Camargo > Machado is the lesson here.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    The Braves need bullpen arms stat...they have way too many guys in there that have no business pitching meaningful innings. I don't fell comfortable with any of the guys there pitching in a close game. I know the Braves don't have many blown saves, but pretty much every guy in the pen has control issues.
    I haven't done the numbers but what about looking at a multi inning model? We have so many pitchers and I hate using resources to get RP who implode at a moment's notice. You get Yates from the Pads and we are happy this year and he's Sam Freeman next year.

We have starters that are doing well but are not going deep.

Could we go:
    JT
    Sanchez
    Folty
    Newk
    Gohara/Fried/Soroka/Wisler/Touki/Carle

Minter
    Viz
    Winkler

Those slash guys could go through a line up 1 time and bridge the starter to the high leverage guys. Keep innings down on Fried, Soroka and Gohara.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So what if we included Newk in a deal for Degrom...giving them a sure fire major leaguer??

Newk, Allard plus. What else would need to be added. Newk is a borderline all star pitcher this year with many years of control left. Sell high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So what if we included Newk in a deal for Degrom...giving them a sure fire major leaguer??

Newk, Allard plus. What else would need to be added. Newk is a borderline all star pitcher this year with many years of control left. Sell high.
    Newk, Allard plus a good prospect outside the top 100 would be a competitive bid for DeGrom. The third guy would probably have to be someone like Waters or Contreras. That's what would be needed for a competitive bid imo. I wouldn't do it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Newk, Allard plus a good prospect outside the top 100 would be a competitive bid for DeGrom. The third guy would probably have to be someone like Waters or Contreras. That's what would be needed for a competitive bid imo. I wouldn't do it.
    Would rather add another pitcher. Sanchez maybe? Cumberland?