Page 485 of 579 FirstFirst ... 385435475483484485486487495535 ... LastLast
Results 9,681 to 9,700 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A bit of insight on who the early favorites are for the #5 and #1 slots in the rotation.
    AA think more of allard than this board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Losing that pick still seems like a major deal. Even if we punt it and use the $ to float names down.
    Ivermectin Man

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Losing that pick still seems like a major deal. Even if we punt it and use the $ to float names down.
    Yea I think the slot money is the bigger deal than the pick itself. And the draft generally is a bigger deal for the Braves, relative to the league, because of the international penalties.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Is #1 even up for debate?

As it stands now, Folty is clear #1, followed by clear #2 Gausman, my #3 would be Soroka if they are starting him out in the majors, #4 would be Teheran and #5 would be Newk.

If Soroka starts in MiLB, then I'd be bet that Touki has the inside track unless they want to use Allard to eat some innings and maybe establish some value. Touki probably needs more time in MiLB anyway. Although, if Wilson tears up ST, he could jump those other two fairly easily.

Edit: Crap, forgot about Gohara. Damn I really don't know why we didn't trade some of these kids.
    Last edited by CrazyTrain; 02-20-2019 at 02:45 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think I'd let Soroka and Gohara take a few turns in the minors just to make sure their shoulders don't start barking again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    And adding Kimbrel would cost the Braves their 2nd round pick.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-qualify...ed/c-259650658

The Braves are designated as a revenue sharing team and will lose it's third highest selection.

The Dodgers for example have two first round picks and are losing their 2nd (since they don't qualify for revenue sharing) highest selection which is the 31st overall pick for signing Pollock.
    The reason I'm not convinced the Braves will lose their 2nd round pick is from this post I made last month:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post563175

Which quotes this Sullivan article:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dodgers-...sive-breakout/

Where he says:

I thought this would cost the Dodgers their second-highest draft pick, which is currently slotted in at No. 31, but that pick is compensation for not signing J.T. Ginn last year, and I’m given to understand those kinds of compensation picks are also protected. Assuming that’s true, the Dodgers are actually out the No. 64 overall pick instead. In terms of valuation, the difference between pick 31 and pick 64 is considered to be millions of dollars.

If the Dodgers pick is protected, it stands to reason the Braves pick is also protected. If that protection means the pick isn't considered at all when determining which pick they lose for signing a QO FA, then they would only lose their 3rd round pick.

The other option is any part of that logic chain is wrong, and the Braves simply lose their 2nd round pick, which will be in the 60s. Not a big deal for a long term cornerstone player, but losing that pick for a 1 year BP arm would sting a bit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think I'd let Soroka and Gohara take a few turns in the minors just to make sure their shoulders don't start barking again.
    Both guys need to be assigned to MiLB camp as soon as possible (if not there administratively already). If the shoulder issues pop up again, they need to be rehabbing on the MiLB DL rather than accruing service time on the MLB roster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Is #1 even up for debate?

As it stands now, Folty is clear #1, followed by clear #2 Gausman, my #3 would be Soroka if they are starting him out in the majors, #4 would be Teheran and #5 would be Newk.

If Soroka starts in MiLB, then I'd be bet that Touki has the inside track unless they want to use Allard to eat some innings and maybe establish some value. Touki probably needs more time in MiLB anyway. Although, if Wilson tears up ST, he could jump those other two fairly easily.

Edit: Crap, forgot about Gohara. Damn I really don't know why we didn't trade some of these kids.
    Yeah, no.

I'll bet anyone any amount of anything Soroka doesn't start the year at the MLB level (barring injury/trade to Folty/Gaus/Newk/Teheran).

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Everyone thought signing Hosmer was dumb as **** and it was.
    And I stated Hosmer was a great signing where???

Again, you guys are missing the point simply to take a shot at me - and that's fine.

Padres fans were terribly excited by the Hosmer signing because of the things it represented - ownership was willing to spend money to improve the team. It certainly hasn't worked out yet, but it's been one year. He was brought in because of his experience, leadership, etc. (all the immeasurables). Their management knew exactly what they were getting when they signed Hosmer, just as they know what they're getting now that they've signed Machado.

They have now gone out and gotten their cornerstones and put them in place as their kids begin to break in. It's not the way teams have done it most recently - it's like the Gnats did years ago when they went out and got Werth. Now Margot, Renfroe, Hedges, and Reyes have gotten their feet wet, and there won't be nearly as much pressure for Tatis, Mejia, and Urias to be able to adjust right away. Both signings were probably made with an eye on 2020. Hosmer and Machado are there to lean on for advice and to help deflect the spotlight. At that point, all their position player prospects will have arrived and gotten their feet wet, Lamet and Garrett Richards will be back, and their top-level arms will begin to start dropping.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The reason I'm not convinced the Braves will lose their 2nd round pick is from this post I made last month:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post563175

Which quotes this Sullivan article:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/dodgers-...sive-breakout/

Where he says:

I thought this would cost the Dodgers their second-highest draft pick, which is currently slotted in at No. 31, but that pick is compensation for not signing J.T. Ginn last year, and I’m given to understand those kinds of compensation picks are also protected. Assuming that’s true, the Dodgers are actually out the No. 64 overall pick instead. In terms of valuation, the difference between pick 31 and pick 64 is considered to be millions of dollars.

If the Dodgers pick is protected, it stands to reason the Braves pick is also protected. If that protection means the pick isn't considered at all when determining which pick they lose for signing a QO FA, then they would only lose their 3rd round pick.

The other option is any part of that logic chain is wrong, and the Braves simply lose their 2nd round pick, which will be in the 60s. Not a big deal for a long term cornerstone player, but losing that pick for a 1 year BP arm would sting a bit.
    Indeed. Looking into this further MLB Pipeline tweeted out their updated draft order after Pollock signed.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/order/2019

It's their 2nd round pick they lost. I'd have to think they know what they are talking about. I'm guessing the line about having two 1st round picks applies to the competitive balance round.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Indeed. Looking into this further MLB Pipeline tweeted out their updated draft order after Pollock signed.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/order/2019

It's their 2nd round pick they lost. I'd have to think they know what they are talking about. I'm guessing the line about having two 1st round picks applies to the competitive balance round.
    Interesting. I wonder where Sullivan got that erroneous info.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I would be very surprised if Kimbrel has to settle for a 1 year deal. The Wade Davis contract (3/52) should be out there for him...

Kelly, Ottavino, Familia, and Britton all got 3 years, and Britton got $13M per year. I find it hard to believe Kimbrel can't also get 3 years at something much higher than $13M per year.
    May be he wants to test the waters again next winter when he won't have a QO attached and some bigger teams might have a little more money to spend. Right now, it would seem only the Phillies have a need and the money to give him 15+ million in AAV over 3 years or more.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We didn't get to see much of him. He has still dominated every level at a very young age, so I do believe there is something there, though certainly not as high of a ceiling as originally sold. Gonna have to have amazing command to be more than a 4-5/long reliever.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Interesting. I wonder where Sullivan got that erroneous info.
    No that backs up Sullivan.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    #Braves will start Touki Toussaint in Saturday’s opener against the Mets at Port St. Lousy, and Foltynewicz starts Sunday against Astros at WPB. Kolby Allard will follow Toussaint and Bryse Wilson will follow Folty. Those four pitchers are set to work 2 innings apiece.
    Bit of an odd choice going with Allard and Wilson getting early innings. Could be an early showcase? If I'm kolby or Bryse I'd LOVE to be traded.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    No that backs up Sullivan.
    Oh ok. I misread your comment.

Now I’m a little more hopeful the Braves would lose a pick in the 90s for signing a QO FA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Bit of an odd choice going with Allard and Wilson getting early innings. Could be an early showcase? If I'm kolby or Bryse I'd LOVE to be traded.
    The guys who follow the projected MLB SPs are usually the first to be reassigned to MiLB camp. It’s not odd at all.

Touki can probably be considered the current leader for the #5 spot when they need it in early April. Folty is following him as the #1 to maintain the rotation order

I expect the Top 4 to be Folty, Gaus, Newk and Teheran with Touki as the 5 starting the first week in AAA, and I expect to see them rolled out in that order during ST.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-20-2019 at 03:27 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Now I’m a little more hopeful the Braves would lose a pick in the 90s for signing a QO FA.
    That makes a big difference if that is the case

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

Indeed. It's a big difference and something I'd have no issue giving up. Still dont think anything happens in FA

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I would be very surprised if Kimbrel has to settle for a 1 year deal. The Wade Davis contract (3/52) should be out there for him...

Kelly, Ottavino, Familia, and Britton all got 3 years, and Britton got $13M per year. I find it hard to believe Kimbrel can't also get 3 years at something much higher than $13M per year.
    That is the contract his agent is likely citing, but I don't think any team is as insane as the Rockies were when the made that deal.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a draft pick hog, but given we won't be serious players in the international market for a few years, we might need to be a bit more careful than other franchises when it comes to signing QO guys.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 02-20-2019 at 03:58 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-20-2019)