Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    this calls for a very wise and experienced arbitrator
    I voulenteer!!!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I said back when the Braves failed to sign Stewart that someone needed/should/would be held accountable. Everyone here said over and over that it wasn't a big deal, that they would get the pick in 2019, blah, blah.

Welp, here we are. Clark and Bridges gone. Sure, it may not be directly related. We don't know. But it doesn't help.

The Braves had to fight to hold on to the pick because of a challenge by Stewart's team. Now, they are concerned about signing someone with a QO because they will lose a pick, a 2nd round pick instead of a 4th round pick, by the rules, because their first rounder from last year became their second first round pick for this year.

Meanwhile, the guy I wanted them to pick instead of Stewart, Nolan Gorman, tore the cover off the ball and is already the Cards #2 prospect, a top 100 guy and in the top ten for all third base prospects in baseball with a taste of A ball already at 18.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I said back when the Braves failed to sign Stewart that someone needed/should/would be held accountable. Everyone here said over and over that it wasn't a big deal, that they would get the pick in 2019, blah, blah.

Welp, here we are. Clark and Bridges gone. Sure, it may not be directly related. We don't know. But it doesn't help.

The Braves had to fight to hold on to the pick because of a challenge by Stewart's team. Now, they are concerned about signing someone with a QO because they will lose a pick, a 2nd round pick instead of a 4th round pick, by the rules, because their first rounder from last year became their second first round pick for this year.

Meanwhile, the guy I wanted them to pick instead of Stewart, Nolan Gorman, tore the cover off the ball and is already the Cards #2 prospect, a top 100 guy and in the top ten for all third base prospects in baseball with a taste of A ball already at 18.
    i was/am much more concerned with AA's apparent trend not to sign 1st rounders. i think in the long run, it could end up working out well this time. i think this draft has more players of need that are highly ranked. still not fun, and i would've liked to see stewart in the minors.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i was/am much more concerned with AA's apparent trend not to sign 1st rounders. i think in the long run, it could end up working out well this time. i think this draft has more players of need that are highly ranked. still not fun, and i would've liked to see stewart in the minors.
    Drafting guys and then evidently playing hardball with them over signing bonuses seems like a sub-optimal strategy to me. Doesn't exactly endear you to anyone.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Drafting guys and then evidently playing hardball with them over signing bonuses seems like a sub-optimal strategy to me. Doesn't exactly endear you to anyone.
    i can't imagine stewart's agent is too happy with the braves, and surely other agents/players take notice.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I was a fan of the Carter pick, but not a fan of taking a guy that high without doing due diligence on his health. I assumed the Braves knew the guy was healthy when I was a fan of the pick...poor assumption on my part.

I’m also not too upset about losing an old school guy who seemed to over value pitching prospects, but I’m not a huge fan of bringing in a buddy from Toronto. The upside is Toronto seems to accurately value position players when accumulating prospects.