Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Market for McCann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Our situation at catcher is something most teams would kill for. We have a difficult decision to make in terms of how aggressively to work to retain McCann. But it is not a bad problem to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    It's never that simple. Everyone pretends it is but these guys are a commodity and they know that. If he wants to be valued to his full potential than he'll sign a higher deal. It has nothing to do with living his life, or having money for his kids. That's largely irrelevant, it honestly more often than not has to do with being valued as one of the top players in the game.
    It really is that simple though. He could not make another penny beyond this year and live an extremely wealthy life. What does "being valued to his full potential" do for him? No one will remember him for how much money he makes. I wont hate McCann if he leaves but if he leaves it is for no reason but greed. I wont blame him, I blame his agent and the union. The agent is the one that fills their head with the "you have to get what your worth" crap and the union pressures them to take the most they can so it doesnt negatively affect the FA market for other players. There are very few people in this world that would not be satisfied with getting 50+ million dollars.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    True enough but 10/5 guys get asked to waive that clause all the time. But with a big enough discount it probably wouldnt be important.
    Guys with no trade clauses get asked to waive them all the time as well.

The only reason a player ever wants or needs a no-trade clause is to prevent his team from trading him without his prior approval. The 10/5 rule accomplishes the same thing, so there is no reason for McCann to require a no-trade clause past the first year of any contract he signs with the Braves. Such a clause will be a non-issue in any negotiations between McCann and the Braves, at least from the player's side.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    There are few people in this world that would take less money than they are worth. That doesn't matter if salary is 10k, 50k, 100k, 1,000,000 or 50,000,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    It really is that simple though. He could not make another penny beyond this year and live an extremely wealthy life. What does "being valued to his full potential" do for him? No one will remember him for how much money he makes. I wont hate McCann if he leaves but if he leaves it is for no reason but greed. I wont blame him, I blame his agent and the union. The agent is the one that fills their head with the "you have to get what your worth" crap and the union pressures them to take the most they can so it doesnt negatively affect the FA market for other players. There are very few people in this world that would not be satisfied with getting 50+ million dollars.
    Him being set for life already is not the point. Most people in general want to get paid what they're worth/as much as someone is willing to give them. I'd have no problem if someone offered Mac 18 mil that we couldn't match and he took it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    There are few people in this world that would take less money than they are worth. That doesn't matter if salary is 10k, 50k, 100k, 1,000,000 or 50,000,000.
    I disagree. NO ONE would take less than they're worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    I disagree. NO ONE would take less than they're worth.
    Well that's not true, but there aren't many.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    The no trade would only be an issue for one more year. Mac will be a 10/5 guy starting in 2015.
    I was just gonna say.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I don't see how a NL team win the bidding here, there's just so much less risk for a him as a C/DH than as a everyday catcher in his 30's. In fact, is there really such a thing as an "everyday catcher in his 30's?" Throw in some deep pocketed AL teams and we're screwed.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Yadi is 30 and signed until 2017. I have zero doubt if on the market, a NL club will offer him a 4 year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Ive maintained all along that in order to keep McCann, someone with a big contract would have to go. Convincing/forcing Uggla to have the eye surgery may be a prelude to the off season. If he comes back able to see/hit he will be infinitely more tradeable. Had he waited til the off season to have surgery it would have been spring training before some team could see if they had any interest.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Even if McCann takes more to go elsewhere (as long as it isn't to an NL east team), I'll cheer the heck out of the guy. He deserves a payday. I obviously want him to be a Brave for life, and I'm sure if he wants to be Wren will make it happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Him being set for life already is not the point. Most people in general want to get paid what they're worth/as much as someone is willing to give them. I'd have no problem if someone offered Mac 18 mil that we couldn't match and he took it.
    At the point I was getting 10+ million a year money becomes a lot less of an issue for me. If you had the option to make 15 million a year and live where you grew up and around your family or 18 million a year and spend half the year on the other side of the country away from your family and friends you would take the money? There are about 300 million people in the US who wish they had to settle for 15 million dollars a year. What he loses in money he gains in legacy and respect. Players that spend all or 95% of their career with one team are respected more.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (08-13-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Players that spend all or 95% of their career with one team are respected more.
    By who? You?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    At the point I was getting 10+ million a year money becomes a lot less of an issue for me. If you had the option to make 15 million a year and live where you grew up and around your family or 18 million a year and spend half the year on the other side of the country away from your family and friends you would take the money? There are about 300 million people in the US who wish they had to settle for 15 million dollars a year. What he loses in money he gains in legacy and respect. Players that spend all or 95% of their career with one team are respected more.
    Im sorry Cajun but that just makes no sense in the real world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Maybe I am just a better person than the rest of the world. Turning down 15 million a year to play for your home state team you grew up rooting for to make 18 million a year somewhere else is just pure greed and douchebaggery. Like I said I wont be mad at McCann. Like Andruw he signed one long term deal with the team which I respect him for. I blame the outside influences that make a man leave his favorite team for money he doesnt need. The only thing Brian can do to change that is if I hear him say the cliche bull**** that a lot of players say like "I need to make sure my family is taken care of" or "I would love to stay but thats up to the team not me".

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

bravebonebook (08-13-2013)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'm not sold on Gattis. I think he is a better hitter. I think playing him in LF is hurting him. It take a lot of extra energy for him to play LF and to play a position he doesn't know.

He has good at bats....mostly. He needs to have a better OBP. But you see him get some hits the other way....you see the promise.

Teams will run on us....

McCann to Gattis is a downgrade. Does anyone disagree with that? If we downgrade to Gattis, where do we pick it up? OF is set. 1B is FF. Simmons is set. We'd have to upgrade at 3B or 2B. CJ is having a big avg year, hard to make that up. How do we get rid of uggla.....

I think McCann is a Ranger. I HOPE he's a brave.

I think the longevity of McCann means he needs to be a DH some times. If he stays in the NL, then he might need rest 3/10 days or 4/10 instead of 1/5.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'm not sold on Gattis. I think he is a better hitter. I think playing him in LF is hurting him. It take a lot of extra energy for him to play LF and to play a position he doesn't know.

He has good at bats....mostly. He needs to have a better OBP. But you see him get some hits the other way....you see the promise.

Teams will run on us....

McCann to Gattis is a downgrade. Does anyone disagree with that? If we downgrade to Gattis, where do we pick it up? OF is set. 1B is FF. Simmons is set. We'd have to upgrade at 3B or 2B. CJ is having a big avg year, hard to make that up. How do we get rid of uggla.....

I think McCann is a Ranger. I HOPE he's a brave.

I think the longevity of McCann means he needs to be a DH some times. If he stays in the NL, then he might need rest 3/10 days or 4/10 instead of 1/5.

I think another issue people are missing is that how much value we lose from the bench if we replace Mac with Gattis at catcher next yr.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Why are so many just writing it off that Mac is gone?

I don't see mac like other FA's. I braves make a competitive offer he will be a brave IMO.

4 yrs in the 45-50 million dollar range.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    I dont understand the concern with Gattis. I just think hes fatigued. Its been a long yr for him starting with winter ball. He made it look easy early on. He will adjust and become a 25-30 HR hitter if we decide to start him at catcher next season. My worries with him come on the defensive side.

I wouldnt go as far as saying Gattis is better or even equal to McCann, but if Gattis hits .250 w/15-20 HR, 80 RBI, id take that over paying McCann 15-18 million a season to hit .280, 20-25 HR, 80 RBI.

I just dont believe Gattis is as bad as he has looked since early on. If someone wants to think that, fine, but I think its obvious Gattis is going to be a big time power bat for us for a long time.

The thing is, we can have both. People don't need to act like it's one or the other. Gattis can still be a super sub and get plenty of playing time spelling mac every 5th day and playing LF and 1b the rest of the time. Also, we really need to see this off-season if he can handle 3b. He certainly has the arm for it.