Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black on Black violence - Where is the uproar?

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The root cause of this is is the over criminilization of people. Its not a war on drugs its a war on people. All this disproportionally affects the poor and more specifically poor black people. What we need are cops who are there to actually serve and protect and not just looking for any reason they can victimize someone for breaking a victimless crime. I hear Chicago doesnt have enough money to fund their schools but they got enough money to lock someone up for smoking a joint. Prison is a mental illness factory and while someone people need to be there we are creating a mental health epidemic by putting innocent people in prison. Due to the high amount of drug cases there i a severe shortage of public defenders who almost always try to steer you to taking a plea deal. We have corrupt judges who will throw you in jail for challenging their power by informing people to their right to jury nullification. We as a society almost instantly judge a person guilty before they get a trial isnt helping either.
    that's why one of my biggest solutions to the gun violence issue is the decriminalization of drugs. take the street money out of the issue. Prohibition should have taught us a lesson, but apparently it didn't.

the second is INCREASE punishment for committing crimes with guns, and DECREASE penalties for committing crimes without guns, actually execute people on death row (in the public square) and use the taxation of now legal drugs to fund treatment centers, mental health facilities and other things.

Oh, and make parents accountable for the actions of their children.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    to expand on my last point, I mean within reason. if the parents are involved, have a history of parent/teacher contact, have attempted to solve the problems, then no, don't throw the in jail because their kid commits a crime. But those parents who could give a ****? don't provide a good environment, don't care if their kids are criminals or going to school? take their kids away and lock them up.

people need to learn that choices have consequences and that we are responsible for our actions, and the actions of our kids.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    [QUOTE=cajunrevenge;313824]The root cause of this is is the over criminilization of people. Its not a war on drugs its a war on people. All this disproportionally affects the poor and more specifically poor black people. What we need are cops who are there to actually serve and protect and not just looking for any reason they can victimize someone for breaking a victimless crime. I hear Chicago doesnt have enough money to fund their schools but they got enough money to lock someone up for smoking a joint. Prison is a mental illness factory and while someone people need to be there we are creating a mental health epidemic by putting innocent people in prison. Due to the high amount of drug cases there i a severe shortage of public defenders who almost always try to steer you to taking a plea deal. We have corrupt judges who will throw you in jail for challenging their power by informing people to their right to jury nullification. We as a society almost instantly judge a person guilty before they get a trial isnt helping either.[/QUOTE

Drugs are a victimless crime? So people don't kill each other for drugs? People don't overdose from drugs? People don't become addicted to drugs and then commit crimes to feed their drug addiction?

Nice to know.

Here's an idea. Don't commit a crime

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    that's why one of my biggest solutions to the gun violence issue is the decriminalization of drugs. take the street money out of the issue. Prohibition should have taught us a lesson, but apparently it didn't.

the second is INCREASE punishment for committing crimes with guns, and DECREASE penalties for committing crimes without guns, actually execute people on death row (in the public square) and use the taxation of now legal drugs to fund treatment centers, mental health facilities and other things.

Oh, and make parents accountable for the actions of their children.

- I dont know what the gun laws are now but I think the sentences are pretty stiff already. If 10 years isnt going to scare someone then 20 years isnt going to either. What I would do is put a heavy presence of cops in those bad areas whose sole purpose is to prevent and respond to violent crimes. Make sure those in the community know what they are there for although I wont blame them for being skeptical. As it is now drug deals have to carry guns because they cant exactly depend on police protection if someone tries to harm them.

- Just the money we save on prisons would cover a majority of the cost of rehab. For some reason people get all upset when you say you want to spend 30k a year to rehab a drug addict but have no problem spending 30k a year to imprison them.

- I am not really in favor of the death penalty until our justice system improves. Lately theres been a lot of scandals at crime labs for falsifying lab results to help the prosecution and thats should scare the **** out of everyone.

- You are exactly right about prohibition. The war on drugs only serves to protect law enforcement jobs and the cartels.

- I agree with you in spirit about the parents but I dont see that helping the situation. Its just taking a bad situation and making it worse. Even the worst parents are usually better than foster parents and I dont trust police, prosecutors, and CPS to apply this as intended. These are all underlying issues of the same problem. People are generally the result of their environment when growing up. If police werent so focused on victimzing the poor those communities wouldnt be hell holes that lead to people who are so trashy they dont care what their kids do. There will always be ****ty people but we can minimize it.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post

Drugs are a victimless crime? So people don't kill each other for drugs? People don't overdose from drugs? People don't become addicted to drugs and then commit crimes to feed their drug addiction?

Nice to know.

Here's an idea. Don't commit a crime

- I am smoking a blunt right now. Explain to me where the victim in this "crime" is.

- People kill each other for money. The violence is a result of prohibition of drugs just as it was for alcohol. You have people killing each other for money that can be made off selling drugs. This is a market that exists directly because of prohibition of drugs. Drug dealers cant call the cops when they get robbed. Its both the reason why people rob drug dealers and the reason drug dealers carry guns and will kill people trying to rob them. If the police were focused on providing a safe environment instead of trying to charge as many people with as many crimes as they can we wouldnt have this problem. As for people hopped up drugs committing violent crimes that will always happen just like there will always be idiots who get drunk and commit violent crimes. A lot of those people hopped up on drugs committing violent crimes are just a product of the system. Do a little drugs as a teen and get caught. Get started in the system and end up with a 10 year sentence on a third strike for a gram of weed. Come out loopy as **** and no one will hire you. Family dont give two ****s anymore. End up homeless and with no life prospects why not turn back to drugs. Then with nothing to lose you turn to the harder stuff because its a slight reprieve from the nightmare that is your life.

- I am not going to say drugs are a good choice to make but freedom isnt just about making government approved good choices. Countries have placed a death penalty on drug use and even that doesnt work. At the least we need to stop compounding the problem of drug abuse. We should be ruining peoples lives because they get caught with an ounce of weed at 19. In most cases we are making that person a criminal when they are otherwise law abiding citizens.

It’s over."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

57Brave (06-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    - I dont know what the gun laws are now but I think the sentences are pretty stiff already. If 10 years isnt going to scare someone then 20 years isnt going to either. What I would do is put a heavy presence of cops in those bad areas whose sole purpose is to prevent and respond to violent crimes. Make sure those in the community know what they are there for although I wont blame them for being skeptical. As it is now drug deals have to carry guns because they cant exactly depend on police protection if someone tries to harm them.

- Just the money we save on prisons would cover a majority of the cost of rehab. For some reason people get all upset when you say you want to spend 30k a year to rehab a drug addict but have no problem spending 30k a year to imprison them.

- I am not really in favor of the death penalty until our justice system improves. Lately theres been a lot of scandals at crime labs for falsifying lab results to help the prosecution and thats should scare the **** out of everyone.

- You are exactly right about prohibition. The war on drugs only serves to protect law enforcement jobs and the cartels.

- I agree with you in spirit about the parents but I dont see that helping the situation. Its just taking a bad situation and making it worse. Even the worst parents are usually better than foster parents and I dont trust police, prosecutors, and CPS to apply this as intended. These are all underlying issues of the same problem. People are generally the result of their environment when growing up. If police werent so focused on victimzing the poor those communities wouldnt be hell holes that lead to people who are so trashy they dont care what their kids do. There will always be ****ty people but we can minimize it.
    I agree with everything you've said but let me add.

The weapons themselves. Regulating the manufacturing and distribution of not only the guns but the projectiles.
    Buy back programs --

The government is not and will not have mass confiscations
    Until we get past that point of hysteria this issue will never move forward

Another method is finding political candidates that propose solutions rather than drum up confusion with sloganeering
    If you disagree with HRC's gun proposals, who has a better one?

End of the day what is being done is not working for anyone
    except those making money off of the present system
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I agree with everything you've said but let me add.

The weapons themselves. Regulating the manufacturing and distribution of not only the guns but the projectiles.
    Buy back programs --

The government is not and will not have mass confiscations
    Until we get past that point of hysteria this issue will never move forward

Another method is finding political candidates that propose solutions rather than drum up confusion with sloganeering
    If you disagree with HRC's gun proposals, who has a better one?

End of the day what is being done is not working for anyone
    except those making money off of the present system
    The wannabe criminals and felons will still get their guns and bullets and no amount of gun control even to the manufacturers is going to stop them. The illegals will make sure of that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (06-08-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I think that would work as well as anything, but I think some of the people in these "hoods" are such hard core psychopaths that it wouldn't be long before you started having high body counts among the guardsmen, and when they start to shoot back you'd start to have high body counts among the decent people who live in those areas and you know the poopstorm that would lead to. It may well come to that one day, I don't know, but there's a reason why those hard core types live in and try to control those areas, because they're areas nobody who matters cares about, otherwise something would have been done sooner.

Oh and to sort of agree and disagree with cajun, I don't think that people are "over criminalization" of people, I just think it's the "over criminalization of the wrong people. There are too many people in jail who didn't really do much of anything wrong and way too few people in jail who really really really need to be there. Of course that's just my opinion.
    Civil war in the hood would come if this happens. Some of those hoodrats are in the Guard. And if I were them, they would circumvent these searches and you are talking house to house martial law and that will not stand in this country. The Democrats would be first to institute this but it would piss off the most important voting block in doing so. Republicans wouldn't because it would go against the 2nd amendment.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Civil war in the hood would come if this happens. Some of those hoodrats are in the Guard. And if I were them, they would circumvent these searches and you are talking house to house martial law and that will not stand in this country. The Democrats would be first to institute this but it would piss off the most important voting block in doing so. Republicans wouldn't because it would go against the 2nd amendment.
    This is, IMO just another symptom of the same problem that we saw in St. Louis and other places. Inner city people don't trust the cops, the community leaders either don't reach out to city and/or police officials to try and develop better relations, the people feel threatened when cops are even around the cops feel threatened when they're in those areas, when they catch one of those hard core gang types the courts give them a tiny slap on the wrist for whatever reason (and don't get me started on that part) so they go back to the hood and kill whomever they think turned them in, which guarantees nobody else will ever talk to the cops about anything again. And all this shi-ite just plays off each other and the really bad folks take advantage of the loopholes and everything/everyone else.

The reason why this can't/won't get fixed is because it's a complicated multifaceted problem and all you ever hear anyone ever talk about is just one facet of the much larger problem. This is just a microcosm of most of the problems we face as a nation and until we learn how to start really working together things aren't going to get better, they're going to get worse until we simply implode like that one planet in the most recent Star Wars movie and as ugly as things seem right now, what they're going to look like is going to totally dwarf the worst things you see right now. That's my 2 cents worth anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    This is, IMO just another symptom of the same problem that we saw in St. Louis and other places. Inner city people don't trust the cops, the community leaders either don't reach out to city and/or police officials to try and develop better relations, the people feel threatened when cops are even around the cops feel threatened when they're in those areas, when they catch one of those hard core gang types the courts give them a tiny slap on the wrist for whatever reason (and don't get me started on that part) so they go back to the hood and kill whomever they think turned them in, which guarantees nobody else will ever talk to the cops about anything again. And all this shi-ite just plays off each other and the really bad folks take advantage of the loopholes and everything/everyone else.

The reason why this can't/won't get fixed is because it's a complicated multifaceted problem and all you ever hear anyone ever talk about is just one facet of the much larger problem. This is just a microcosm of most of the problems we face as a nation and until we learn how to start really working together things aren't going to get better, they're going to get worse until we simply implode like that one planet in the most recent Star Wars movie and as ugly as things seem right now, what they're going to look like is going to totally dwarf the worst things you see right now. That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
    At least you get it.

The Dems talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

The Republicans want to do something but it will amount to violence that you spoke about and Dems don't want that.

This passive way of doing things is not going to fix it. I am of the old school blacks, get to the root of the problem and if you piss someone off while fixing it, oh well, but enough of this talk of what you want to do it and just do it.

This paternalistic way of doing business with blacks that the Dems advocate has made the problem worse not better. Tell us to go to school, teach us responsibility and not depend on you for everything and maybe this will alleviate some of the problems we have.

But it will fall on deaf ears because they think we need our masters. We are f*cked either way and no one wants to fix it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    At least you get it.

The Dems talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

The Republicans want to do something but it will amount to violence that you spoke about and Dems don't want that.

This passive way of doing things is not going to fix it. I am of the old school blacks, get to the root of the problem and if you piss someone off while fixing it, oh well, but enough of this talk of what you want to do it and just do it.

This paternalistic way of doing business with blacks that the Dems advocate has made the problem worse not better. Tell us to go to school, teach us responsibility and not depend on you for everything and maybe this will alleviate some of the problems we have.

But it will fall on deaf ears because they think we need our masters. We are f*cked either way and no one wants to fix it.
    The Dems want to cure everything with kindness and money, we know both are necessary but that alone won't fix anything.

I STILL think you give the Repubs too much credit. Remember what sturg told us (that Ron Paul told him)?? The violence in the inner cities problem is like abortion or same sex marriage or transgender stuff, they're much more important to the Repubs as campaign chips than they could ever be as "hey look we fixed this" feathers in their caps. The American people are too damn fickle with the MTV attention span of an NFL cornerback. In short the Repubs don't want to fix any of these issues because then they'd have to find other issues to lead their supporters around by the nose with.

The only things that are going to fix this or even put a serious dent in these things if for people to start working together, get away from the damn privitazation of everything, especially prisons, let the low level drug users and sellers (pot only) out and get with the judges and tell them they WILL put away gang members and leaders for a LONG time and then get together with cops, community leaders, and anyone else who has a stake in making things better and start the process of cleaning things up. But as you said it's not gonna happen, too many aholes have too much to lose by letting it happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    If police werent so focused on victimzing the poor those communities wouldnt be hell holes that lead to people who are so trashy they dont care what their kids do. There will always be ****ty people but we can minimize it.
    what a load of nonsense, there are 325 million people in this country and a few police shootings doesn't suddenly make it "victimization of the poor" **** the poor, don't be a criminal. case closed. You go be a cop in those places and see how high and mighty you are after a few months.

The weapons themselves. Regulating the manufacturing and distribution of not only the guns
    so are we just going to ignore the constitution now? Let's say that your little scheme happened, I move my gun factory to south america and sell to the cartels so they can ship them illegally to the USA. I make my money, criminals still get guns, people still die and your widdle plan falls on it's face. PROHIBITION DOES, NOT, EFFING, WORK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

it's all a sense of entitlement. you give a man a fish he starts hanging outside wanting a fish every day, you teach a man to fish he says "no man, there's this other guy who is gonna give me a fish" the nanny state doesn't work. Time for people to live or die on their own merits. If they want to be criminals, lock em up, put em to death. if we actually executed people in public where everyone could see the consequences of bad decisions, maybe it would be a deterrent (and start executing a few do gooder candy-ass protesters and lawyers who muddle up the process with their p u s s y ass whining and pathetic appeals to emotion.

time to punish the weak and support the strong, the smart, the best of us. Fighting evolution for the sake of smug social niceness is the dumbest thing in our culture today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    The Dems want to cure everything with kindness and money, we know both are necessary but that alone won't fix anything.

I STILL think you give the Repubs too much credit. Remember what sturg told us (that Ron Paul told him)?? The violence in the inner cities problem is like abortion or same sex marriage or transgender stuff, they're much more important to the Repubs as campaign chips than they could ever be as "hey look we fixed this" feathers in their caps. The American people are too damn fickle with the MTV attention span of an NFL cornerback. In short the Repubs don't want to fix any of these issues because then they'd have to find other issues to lead their supporters around by the nose with.

The only things that are going to fix this or even put a serious dent in these things if for people to start working together, get away from the damn privitazation of everything, especially prisons, let the low level drug users and sellers (pot only) out and get with the judges and tell them they WILL put away gang members and leaders for a LONG time and then get together with cops, community leaders, and anyone else who has a stake in making things better and start the process of cleaning things up. But as you said it's not gonna happen, too many aholes have too much to lose by letting it happen.
    so a dictatorship then? if not, who is going to "TELL" anybody anything. This is the problem , we live in a constitutional republic, it is slow, inefficient, stupid and still the best system of govt out there. It's hard to tell anybody to do much of anything without 500 committee meetings, debates, polls, votes, vetoes...etc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    so a dictatorship then? if not, who is going to "TELL" anybody anything. This is the problem , we live in a constitutional republic, it is slow, inefficient, stupid and still the best system of govt out there. It's hard to tell anybody to do much of anything without 500 committee meetings, debates, polls, votes, vetoes...etc
    A dictatorship? No quite the opposite, but the thing about a democracy/republic is that you have to actually take part to make it work, having endless committees or endless rhetoric or this "proxy representation" we've fallen so in love with is what's killing us. Do you ever work on your car? Is it really possible to do much work on a car without getting your hands dirty? How about anything serious with your car? Don't you get your hands seriously dirty??? That's what we're all headed for IF we ever want to fix this mess, we're going to have to work together and we're going to have to get our hands dirty and quite frankly I don't think we have it in us.

Hopefully I'll get proven wrong. :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    A dictatorship? No quite the opposite, but the thing about a democracy/republic is that you have to actually take part to make it work, having endless committees or endless rhetoric or this "proxy representation" we've fallen so in love with is what's killing us. Do you ever work on your car? Is it really possible to do much work on a car without getting your hands dirty? How about anything serious with your car? Don't you get your hands seriously dirty??? That's what we're all headed for IF we ever want to fix this mess, we're going to have to work together and we're going to have to get our hands dirty and quite frankly I don't think we have it in us.

Hopefully I'll get proven wrong. :)
    I don't think it's all that serious myself. In the 90's they said the same thing and violent crime is wayy down from then. 24 hr media in the business of creating false fear based headlines and the internet have made people think things are worse when they aren't. Before, a violent event happened in another area from where you live and it was on the bottom of page 4 of the newspaper, now it's "LIVE ON SCENE!" and we have endless pundits telling us about the motive and the mind of the killer...etc

that said, the older I get the more I think the unabomber was right, technology is not making things better.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    it's all a sense of entitlement. you give a man a fish he starts hanging outside wanting a fish every day, you teach a man to fish he says "no man, there's this other guy who is gonna give me a fish" the nanny state doesn't work. Time for people to live or die on their own merits. If they want to be criminals, lock em up, put em to death. if we actually executed people in public where everyone could see the consequences of bad decisions, maybe it would be a deterrent (and start executing a few do gooder candy-ass protesters and lawyers who muddle up the process with their p u s s y ass whining and pathetic appeals to emotion.

time to punish the weak and support the strong, the smart, the best of us. Fighting evolution for the sake of smug social niceness is the dumbest thing in our culture today.

Eh but now we're getting into out and out Social Darwinism, which we've always had but we're gone about it a little more discreetly. Have you eaten any fish lately that you caught from a stream, pond, lake, etc.? I wouldn't advise it, factories have polluted most of them. I know Repubs keep perpetuating this whole "those who work will be successful and only those who are lazy are broke, homeless, etc." and maybe some of them have to to that to sleep at night, I don't know. I do know that those at the top of the food chain are so far up there because they've manipulated the system, always, but really the most recent stuff has come since Lord Reagan gave them the keys to the storehouse for helping him defeat communism back in the 1980s. Rules, laws, lobbyists, special interests, etc., run this country and they allow those folks to keep a stranglehold on the money supply.

Google wealth distribution by class in the US and you'll find that the top 10% own 90% of ALL the wealth of this nation. Now you can tell yourself whatever you need to about why that is the case, ala one popular opinion around here is that the middle class has disappeared because all the members of the middle class who cared and who worked hard are now in the upper class and the rest have fallen into the abyss, where quite frankly they deserve to be. I could go into why that's total BS, but why waste my time as breath.

If people who are able to work, but just don't want to, and don't try to starve then I guess at some point we have to let them. For those (and I believe this percentage is a lot higher than some around here do) who are trying but have been downsized and outsourced and who are struggling but giving it their best starve then I think we have failed as a nation. We've stood by for 30+ years while the wealthy, who already had almost everything, have pillaged most of what little is left and as long as it didn't hit us personally we just turned a blind eye to it, which makes us just about as guilty as those vermin at the top who have been stealing from the storehouse.

Oh and do I need to mention the DoD's budget? I certainly would never want to deny our troops the stuff they need to keep us safe but don't you think we've gone WAY the hell above that, considering over 1/2 of every dollar we spend goes to them? There's no fat there to trim? Hey, maybe we could develop a new program, "No Defense Contractor Left Behind". Sounds catchy, don't you think? And I"m sure Vlad Cheney and KBR who has made at least $40B of PROFIT from the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars SO FAR would be on board, don't you think?

I do agree with you that people need to live on their own merits and that we've lost that drive in this country and that we won't ever be #1 again until we get it back, but I could never go along with let's just let the poor die and execute the protesters (I'll give you a maybe on the lawyers part) but didn't you mention something to me about a dictatorship? What you just said in this post sounds just exactly like one and who gets to be dictator? Trump? Hilldog?

Go ahead and stand with those who have everything and who used varying degrees of"anything goes" to get it, I'm sure the air is a lot cleaner up there with them. I will just stand with those who don't have an armed army to make sure "they are too big to fail".

We do agree that the spending has to stop, but I'd rather spend to help keep people from starving than to help corporations have greater profit margins than they already have, and CEOs make 45X plus what their employees make (have you looked up how much we give out every year in corporate welfare)? I'm assuming you dislike all unnecessary spending and not just that spent on the poor, but I could be wrong. We have been fed and have to a large degree bought into the lie that those at the top deserve anything and everything they have because they got it legally. Well since they write the laws (or pay those who do) I'd say it's a little deeper than just "the free market". I've always found that those who tout the free market the most are those who are usually busiest in trying to circumvent it in as many ways as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    not that serious of course until it hits close to home.
    Met a woman last summer whose child attended Sandy Hook the day of the shootings - not in that classroom but all the same was an evacuatee. Mom told us about the time between being alerted there was a shooting and when names were released.

I thnk she became a believer that day. It became "all that serious"
    A fellow poster had friends shot in a mass shooting in Virginia a year or so ago
    His rhetoric on the issue has changed drastically

Back to your thoughts on regulation of manufacturing and distributing.
    We have the model of the tobacco industry
    The NRA and indebted pols does not work for Joe Blow target shooter - they represent Cerberus Capital Management
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I don't think it's all that serious myself. In the 90's they said the same thing and violent crime is wayy down from then. 24 hr media in the business of creating false fear based headlines and the internet have made people think things are worse when they aren't. Before, a violent event happened in another area from where you live and it was on the bottom of page 4 of the newspaper, now it's "LIVE ON SCENE!" and we have endless pundits telling us about the motive and the mind of the killer...etc

that said, the older I get the more I think the unabomber was right, technology is not making things better.
    I hope you're right, from a historical standpoint there are usually ups and downs rather than a glacier like one direction move. I just also know that those ups and downs finally get to a point where the "ups" part don't work anymore.

And you're totally right about the media, that's part of the brainwashing network but it's a two way (at least) street, it isn't just the liberal media, it's also the conservative media, and then there's the "Hey I'm in it for myself and the ratings and I don't give a damn about any of you" part of the media. The problem is most people can see that one of those 3 is full of it and shouldn't be believed about anything, quite a few can even see that 2 of the 3 is full of it and can't be believed, but not very many can see it's 3 or 3 in the BS department and start finding out this stuff for themselves.

Oh and I was gonna mention in that other reply I did about the historical equivalent to where we are as a nation today, there are two, first the time right about Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia (your fishing comment reminded me of that one) the wealthy weren't just happy having almost everything back then either, they even reached out and cornered the fur/trapping market with the Indians so those who did not fit in, like Nathaniel Bacon couldn't make a living doing that, which had always been an option for the poor and uneducated of the time. Of course all the while they lamented about how lazy, stupid, and generally worthless those of Bacon's ilk were.

The other example I would offer is France in about 1785-1786 or thereabouts. The wealthy there had everything handed to them on a silver platter but rather than pay a very modest land tax that would have fixed everything, they jumped around screaming like a bunch of 4 year old brats who didn't get the toy they wanted in Wal Mart that day. I wonder how many of them wished they could go back and vote yes when they were strapping them in on the guillotine a few years later?

You seem like a bright fellow, what's your take on those two examples?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    The wannabe criminals and felons will still get their guns and bullets and no amount of gun control even to the manufacturers is going to stop them. The illegals will make sure of that.
    They get the money from selling drugs to buy the guns and they need guns because they cant depend on police protection. Now we have gangs fighting over territory. They wouldnt be doing this if there wasnt a lucrative black market to fight over.

what a load of nonsense, there are 325 million people in this country and a few police shootings doesn't suddenly make it "victimization of the poor" **** the poor, don't be a criminal. case closed. You go be a cop in those places and see how high and mighty you are after a few months.
    I am not talking about the shootings. I am talking about the war on drugs. Just doing your job is not an excuse to violate peoples basic human right to the privacy of their own body. I dont like alcohol and I dont drink it, but that doesnt mean other people shouldnt be allowed to. Taking peaceful people, locking them up in cages and hindering their change for employment is not only wrong its a violation of basic human rights. If this kind of policy was actually working then I would be all for it but its not. Its taking a bad situation and making it worse. You think its keeping you safe but its the opposite. A lot of people who would otherwise go on to be productive members of society get started down the wrong path because of marijuana possession. Over 100 million of those 325 million Americans have smoked pot and about 10% of that 325 smoked pot in the last month. When 1/3rd of your population are criminals it might be time to reevaluate what a criminal is.

I couldnt be a cop because I have too high of moral standards. People in those areas want cops to protect them from shootings and muggings, if thats what they were there to do then they would be welcomed in those communities. If there was a big police presence focused only on that then people wouldnt feel the need to walk around everywhere with a gun and everyone would be safer. It might be a rough transition but its like ripping off a bandaid, its gonna hurt initially but leaving it the way it is is not an option.

edit - And heres a good example of police victimizing the poor.

It’s over."