Page 125 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 25751151231241251261271351752256251125 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I think Occam is sharpening his blade. What theory is more simplistic? The CIA is an organized deep state entity or the CIA just simply had issues with Flynn's Russian connections and decided it was best to hold onto certain intelligence. And that led to Trump's advisors pushing to oust Flynn so that the White House could gain full intel. I think the boot fits.
    I don't doubt at all that Flynn's ouster could have been an inside job, or at least had some enablers inside (more likely, IMO). On the other hand, it seems odd to have done it three weeks into the administration, thereby causing maximum disruption and embarrassment, rather than handling it internally much earlier.

I've got some quibbles with that WSJ article, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I don't doubt at all that Flynn's ouster could have been an inside job, or at least had some enablers inside (more likely, IMO). On the other hand, it seems odd to have done it three weeks into the administration, thereby causing maximum disruption and embarrassment, rather than handling it internally much earlier.

I've got some quibbles with that WSJ article, too.
    I'm scratching my head about what the WSJ article is about. There is not much to it. A series of disconnected points.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Forever Fredi

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-16-2017), Julio3000 (02-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    So am I the only one who is not okay with the CIA getting to decide if the freaking President gets access to intel?
    It doesn't sound like the President is a very active and interested consumer of intel. If they've been instructed to keep it short and skip dissenting viewpoints (as has been reported) this could be a natural outgrowth.

For those of you who think the Flynn thing was an orchestrated palace coup, what do you make of the boss's twitter rants about punishing those responsible?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I have found that DeVos is the most hated cabinet appointee in history ... that nobody can articulate their hatred for beyond, "She's inexperienced!"
    Amway.
    Neurocore.
    Blackwater.
    Croneyism.
    School vouchers.
    Detroit education system.
    Bears.

I dunno, I heard people bitching about a lot of specific stuff.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

CK86 (02-16-2017), goldfly (02-16-2017), Julio3000 (02-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Jeremy Schahill is withdrawing from real time this week because Milo will be on. You'd think people who disagree with views would want to debate them so they are proven wrong....especially on a left leaning program.

He'd probably rather just silence milo with force.
    I don't know much about Jeremy Scahill, but I do remember him doing independent journalism from Iraq, not embedded with the military. This was done at significant personal risk. So I think it's safe to say that he's done more for free expression that Milo ever will.

Milo, like any troll, feeds on attention. His bottom line is self-interest, not "free speech." I respect Jeremy Scahill's decision not to play his game. You're free to disagree with this tactic, but I wish more people would adopt it.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Milo, like any troll, feeds on attention. His bottom line is self-interest, not "free speech." I respect Jeremy Scahill's decision not to play his game. You're free to disagree with this tactic, but I wish more people would adopt it.
    Oh I think a lot of people are adopting it. Agree with us, or we will protest, not engage, or burn your city to the ground.

It's a good look

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Amway.
    Neurocore.
    Blackwater.
    Croneyism.
    School vouchers.
    Detroit education system.
    Bears.

I dunno, I heard people bitching about a lot of specific stuff.
    Egads.

I can't help but feel like this reinforces my point. You are trying to rope Betsy DeVos in with Amway and Blackwater? That's ... a stretch.

Neurocore? Really? If anything, the enterprise demonstrates that she's willing to consider unconventionally innovative approaches. I guess you support the continued over-medication of American children with legal amphetamines.

I give you credit for trying harder than anyone else, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Oh I think a lot of people are adopting it. Agree with us, or we will protest, not engage, or burn your city to the ground.

It's a good look
    You are sounding like a real champion of free expression and free markets there, my friend.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (02-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    You are sounding like a real champion of free expression and free markets there, my friend.
    GOT ME!

People can do whatever they want to do - provided they don't hurt others or others' property.

Oh wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    GOT ME!

People can do whatever they want to do - provided they don't hurt others or others' property.

Oh wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Egads.

I can't help but feel like this reinforces my point. You are trying to rope Betsy DeVos in with Amway and Blackwater? That's ... a stretch.

Neurocore? Really? If anything, the enterprise demonstrates that she's willing to consider unconventionally innovative approaches. I guess you support the continued over-medication of American children with legal amphetamines.

I give you credit for trying harder than anyone else, though.
    Rope her into Amway?

Unconventionally innovative approaches are fine . . . if they hold up to scientific scrutiny. Do you think there's an ethical question if she has an eight-figure investment in the "technology," and it ends up being marketed into public schools?

Largely unregulated, for-profit charter schools? You're free to agree with that as a policy difference, but you can't pretend it's not a valid cause for concern from someone of another stripe.

Ditto her support for public funds being used for private/religious schools.

These are all valid objections, right? You may not agree with them, but they amount to more than "she's inexperienced."

Let me turn it around? Why do you think she got the nod?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    GOT ME!

Oh wait.
    Of the three things you mentioned, only one (the wildly hyperbolic one) does that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    I think the appropriate response to barricade school entrances so she can't get in!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Of the three things you mentioned, only one (the wildly hyperbolic one) does that.
    Seems to happen all the time, no?

The other two - perfectly legal. But are perfectly unhelpful in advancing progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I don't know much about Jeremy Scahill, but I do remember him doing independent journalism from Iraq, not embedded with the military. This was done at significant personal risk. So I think it's safe to say that he's done more for free expression that Milo ever will.

I'm fine with someone not wanting to participate in debate. I just question the effectiveness of such an approach. Call Milo a troll all you want but he is extremely knowledgable and an effective debater. If you truly believe your ideology is the true way then why not debate the counter ideas?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Seems to happen all the time, no?

The other two - perfectly legal. But are perfectly unhelpful in advancing progress.
    I must have missed the stories about cities being burned to the ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm fine with someone not wanting to participate in debate. I just question the effectiveness of such an approach. Call Milo a troll all you want but he is extremely knowledgable and an effective debater. If you truly believe your ideology is the true way then why not debate the counter ideas?
    I'm happy to see the message debated. I question the messenger. Don't feed trolls. I hate that so many people take the bait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    So he is fine with Maher ****ting all over PC culture and Muslims but Milo is too extreme? We don't have free speech so we can talk about the weather. If anyone is going to be sympathetic to the backlash of the PC police it's Maher. His show was cancelled for speaking the truth most people refuse to admit. Milo is doing a lot for free speech. These people he is fighting, that are trying to shut him up, are not just trying to police him. Milo is just acting as a lightning rod for the retards. Showing them for what they really are. Whatever happened to "I don't agree with what you say but I will fight to the death for your right to say it".
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    He's not an effective debater. He's an effective salesman. The times that I've watched him, he's not come off on a strong debate point, but on strong gotcha/meme points which win lots of points on the internet, but aren't effective debate. He never cites anything, he jsut spews out half truths and lies.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg