Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: GM/Winter Meetings Thread

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Lol, Lawrie is pretty good in his own right and is much cheaper. And they got some very good prospects in return. Not sure what more you should expect to get.
    Lawrie is an average player. Donaldson is a star. Both will be in their first year of arbitration. Yes Donaldson is going to make a lot more but the A's just pissed 10 million a year away on Butler.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,297 Posts
    Donaldson's HRs will most likely increase in that park.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-28-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Lawrie is an average player. Donaldson is a star. Both will be in their first year of arbitration. Yes Donaldson is going to make a lot more but the A's just pissed 10 million a year away on Butler.
    If Lawrie can stay healthy he will be a star himself.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Donaldson's HRs will most likely increase in that park.
    Yeah his raw offensive numbers will get a huge boost. He would be hitting FA at a pretty late age but if he stays healthy he should get a pretty good pay day from playing in Toronto.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Josh Reddick is pissed, that's for sure. A's fans should be used to it though. Beane is always looking to make moves and 'go for it' -- he's almost kind of paying the piper for the Lester/Samardzija deals now.

A's designate Kyle Blanks, too, btw.
    I have long defended Beane but I tend to agree more with 50 about him lately. That said, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Kyle Banks.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    If Lawrie can stay healthy he will be a star himself.
    Healthy or not he hasn't show any indication in the past 3 years that he could be a star. He's an average at best hitter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Healthy or not he hasn't show any indication in the past 3 years that he could be a star. He's an average at best hitter.
    An average hitter??

Here are his 162 game averages: .265 AVG / .323 OBP with 20 HR, 74 RBI, and 14 SB (Extremely good defense)

Josh Donaldson 162 game averages: .268 AVG / .347 OBP with 25 HR, 91 RBI, and 7 SB (Extremely good defense)

Please tell me how one is a "superstar" and the other is "a average player"

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    An average hitter??

Here are his 162 game averages: .265 AVG / .323 OBP with 20 HR, 74 RBI, and 14 SB (Extremely good defense)

Josh Donaldson 162 game averages: .268 AVG / .347 OBP with 25 HR, 91 RBI, and 7 SB (Extremely good defense)

Please tell me how one is a "superstar" and the other is "a average player"
    Lawrie plays in one of the best hitting parks in america. Donaldson does not. Lawrie has a career WRC+ of 104. Donaldson has a career WRC+ of 127. 100 is considered average. With them switching parks Lawrie would be lucky to get 15 homers in a full season. Donaldson will get close to 40.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Lawrie plays in one of the best hitting parks in america.
    lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-29-2014)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    lol
    good catch

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Lawrie plays in one of the best hitting parks in america. Donaldson does not. Lawrie has a career WRC+ of 104. Donaldson has a career WRC+ of 127. 100 is considered average. With them switching parks Lawrie would be lucky to get 15 homers in a full season. Donaldson will get close to 40.
    You realize that WRC+ is park adjusted and based off a full season, which Lawrie is yet to complete.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    You realize that WRC+ is park adjusted and based off a full season, which Lawrie is yet to complete.
    Games played don't matter. He has been a league average hitter in his big league career regardless of how many games he has played.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    wRC+ is a rate stat. Not an accumulative stat.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I have long defended Beane but I tend to agree more with 50 about him lately. That said, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Kyle Banks.
    Who me?

I want to make it clear, I don't have a problem with Beane per se. His record speaks for itself. It's the media's fawning portrayal of him that gets under my skin. Someone posted a link to Neyer's article about the trade which gives Beane a huge benefit of the doubt. I'm not defending the Heyward trade, but Neyer basically rips Hart for it although it is a similar deal (and perhaps even more defensible given Heyward's impending free agency).

Lawrie could hit .350 and Donaldson could fall on his face. Shelby Miller could go 20-3 with an ERA of 2.20 and Heyward could hit .235 with 6 HRs. That's why we play the games and that's why GMs take the risks.

A's and Braves are now in similar situations. Good pitching staffs with horsesh*t offenses. I'm not saying the A's got fleeced here, because Donaldson's rapid rise always puzzled me to some extent. Lawrie is the key player and Barreto looks like a good long-term prospect. The two pitchers look to be decent mid-level prospects.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-29-2014 at 07:36 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Who me?

I want to make it clear, I don't have a problem with Beane per se. His record speaks for itself. It's the media's fawning portrayal of him that gets under my skin. Someone posted a link to Neyer's article about the trade which gives Beane a huge benefit of the doubt. I'm not defending the Heyward trade, but Neyer basically rips Hart for it although it is a similar deal (and perhaps even more defendable given Heyward's impending free agency).

Lawrie could hit .350 and Donaldson could fall on his face. Shelby Miller could go 20-3 with an ERA of 2.20 and Heyward could hit .235 with 6 HRs. That's why we play the games and that's why GMs take the risks.

A's and Braves are now in similar situations. Good pitching staffs with horsesh*t offenses. I'm not saying the A's got fleeced here, because Donaldson's rapid rise always puzzled me to some extent. Lawrie is the key player and Barreto looks like a good long-term prospect. The two pitchers look to be decent mid-level prospects.
    Well said 50. Well said.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Sure. That's part of the reason they were able to get Lawrie in return plus the prospects. Lawrie has quite a bit of potential himself if he can stay healthy. Not saying it was smart of Beane to trade JD. I'd rather have Donaldson too, all things being equal. And they still had/have the talent to compete next season and the next few seasons, so trading a controllable player like him doesn't make much sense to me at this point. But either way, the haul they received isn't terrible.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-29-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Who me?

I want to make it clear, I don't have a problem with Beane per se. His record speaks for itself. It's the media's fawning portrayal of him that gets under my skin. Someone posted a link to Neyer's article about the trade which gives Beane a huge benefit of the doubt. I'm not defending the Heyward trade, but Neyer basically rips Hart for it although it is a similar deal (and perhaps even more defendable given Heyward's impending free agency).

I don't think we have a good staff yet and neither does the FO apparently. Teheran, Wood, Miller, and Minor is a very talented quartet, but health and consistency are huge concerns for them. Wood gives us great quality, but prospectors have questioned his durability since he was drafted and he ended the season with a forearm strain. Minor's season was book-ended by shoulder injuries and when he was healthy, he was terrible. Miller has great stuff but mediocre results. On top of that, we don't have anyone in the minors ready to step into the rotation.

Edit: I think I found the key to the Donaldson trade

Last edited by keithlaw; 11-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    I don't think we have a good staff yet and neither does the FO apparently. Teheran, Wood, Miller, and Minor is a very talented quartet, but health and consistency are huge concerns for them. Wood gives us great quality, but prospectors have questioned his durability since he was drafted and he ended the season with a forearm strain. Minor's season was book-ended by shoulder injuries and when he was healthy, he was terrible. Miller has great stuff but mediocre results. On top of that, we don't have anyone in the minors ready to step into the rotation.

Edit: I think I found the key to the Donaldson trade

hey, the assman's in town!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo

Mark Rodgers, Andrew Miller's agent, says Miller is moving closer to a decision. Miller has at least 10 teams including Red Sox interested