Page 16 of 98 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Get ready for a huge letdown. I hope I'm wrong, but the Mariner's know we want/need to possibly deal Upton. The issue is that they are no longer willing to part with Walker/Paxton because they feel they can close the gap with Cruz, et.al. All this being said, there is a closing window. Upton has a lot of appeal, but that rental thing looms large for any of his suitors. Texas becomes more appealing by the day....but I think we're holding out for a highly thought of pitching prospect. If Hart & Co don't get it, they are going to wait it out. (Much to our chagrin)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Could Baltimore get involved now?
    Can't see them parting with the talent we'd be looking for, but Justin would make a lot of sense for them since he's from the area. If Texas isn't willing to pay what Hart wants (and Seattle is out - which isn't necessarily the case if they're willing to go all-in since Beane decided to rebuild and adding Upton would come close to making them the favorites to win it all on paper), I'd ask for Hunter Harvey, Dariel Alvarez, and Jomar Reyes in the event the O's wanted a 72 hour window to try to extend Justin.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Could Baltimore get involved now?
    Been saying forever that we need to call them once Nellie leaves and offer Upton for Bundy or Gausman.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (12-01-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Been saying forever that we need to call them once Nellie leaves and offer Upton for Bundy or Gausman.
    They won't part with either of those two (that was the "talent we'd be looking for" I was referring to BTW lol).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    What if we added something to Upton to get one of them? Like Minor.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    What if we added something to Upton to get one of them? Like Minor.
    Just not Duquette's style IMO. He's held onto the two of them like they were gold since the day he took over. If you look at them objectively, those two are the only guys they've had with true "Ace" upside for awhile - they've been criticized (much like we were at times) for not having that "Ace" to push them over the top.

Have to think they'd be more like Daniels/Texas and treat them like Daniels is rumored to be with Gallo and Alfaro - "we're willing to give up several second-tier prospects to make it work, but one year of Justin likely isn't worth it unless he's our last piece of the puzzle".

Can't say that I blame them. That said, that's the reason I agree with those that feel that the Cruz signing could make it even more likely that Jack Z might still pull the trigger on Walker for Upton. Having those two sandwiched around Cano would be a nightmare for EVERYONE.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Get ready for a huge letdown. I hope I'm wrong, but the Mariner's know we want/need to possibly deal Upton. The issue is that they are no longer willing to part with Walker/Paxton because they feel they can close the gap with Cruz, et.al. All this being said, there is a closing window. Upton has a lot of appeal, but that rental thing looms large for any of his suitors. Texas becomes more appealing by the day....but I think we're holding out for a highly thought of pitching prospect. If Hart & Co don't get it, they are going to wait it out. (Much to our chagrin)

While I agree some folks may ultimately be disappointed with top name in the return (like they were with the Heyward deal), I honestly think you have to look at the big picture. Maybe we don't get a Walker/Gallo/Bundy/Gausman, but given the massive decline in the impact talent level in our system (so little everyday player/#3 or better SP talent), I'm certainly not about to jump off a ledge if we ended up with...

Miller (4 years)
    Jenkins (6 years)

and potentially

Profar (5 years)
    Jake Thompson (6 years)
    Ryan Rua (6 years)

or

Harvey (6 years)
    Alvarez (6 years)
    Reyes (6 years)

for 1 year each from Justin and Jason, especially when you consider ALL those guys could replace current and increasingly expensive pieces like Minor, Johnson, and B. J. as we move into the new park. Hart & Company could then pick and choose where to spend all that money without nearly the number of holes we have now.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-02-2014), Hudson2 (12-01-2014), UNCBlue012 (12-01-2014)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Also don't forget Walker for Upton still makes all the sense in the world if the Mariners are going all-in - Jack Z could always tell Hart "I'll cave and do the deal IF you take Saunders' and Willie Bloomquist's salaries back as part of the deal".

Would ultimately mean they got a year of Justin for $8.95 million and a 1st Round pick for Walker if they let him walk.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    The M's are definitely still in the market for a RHed RFer:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...t-fielder.html

Looks like they won't be giving up Walker for 1 year of JUp though (or Kemp for that matter), and I can't say that I blame them. It also means my idea of Minor for Kemp probably has no chance of happening if the Dodgers are looking for someone like Walker for Kemp.

We already see teams like the M's moving on to Plan B for RHed power as they start to look at guys like Hunter and Rios. Hart is about to miss the boat on getting good value for JUp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    My stance on a Justin Upton trade has not changed. I still would love to trade him for a top prospect and a couple pieces that could help this team moving forward offensively. I feel the same on Gattis. BUT, it only helps our lineup to keep both of the guys and hopefully (fingers crossed) extend Justin for a few more years. I'm still all about signing Aoki and resigning Boni, improving the bench and adding another veteran arm until we can see if Meds is ready to go.

Peraza 2B
    Aoki CF
    Freeman 1B
    JUP RF
    Gattis LF
    CJOH 3B
    Simba SS
    C-Beth C

Rotation: Teheran, Minor, Miller, Wood, Wang/Vet/Meds.

If Meds is healthy, then: Teheran, Minor, Meds, Miller, Wood... that is an awesome rotation.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I know we want pitching but I think a deal with Texas makes sense. I would love profar but knowing his injury risk it would require another piece. I would LOVE to get my hands on Nomar Mazara. Maybe Profar and either Luke Jackson or Mazara.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    My stance on a Justin Upton trade has not changed. I still would love to trade him for a top prospect and a couple pieces that could help this team moving forward offensively. I feel the same on Gattis. BUT, it only helps our lineup to keep both of the guys and hopefully (fingers crossed) extend Justin for a few more years. I'm still all about signing Aoki and resigning Boni, improving the bench and adding another veteran arm until we can see if Meds is ready to go.

Peraza 2B
    Aoki CF
    Freeman 1B
    JUP RF
    Gattis LF
    CJOH 3B
    Simba SS
    C-Beth C

Rotation: Teheran, Minor, Miller, Wood, Wang/Vet/Meds.

If Meds is healthy, then: Teheran, Minor, Meds, Miller, Wood... that is an awesome rotation.
    Aoki is not even close to being able to play CF competently...he can barely handle RF. An OF of Gattis/Aoki/JUp would be the worst in the league defensively by a large margin.

I was all for signing Aoki to play RF, but that was when Heyward was still around to play CF. Once JUp or Gattis is traded Aoki again makes sense for a corner OF spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I just don't see Gattis playing LF full time. He'll be the main one traded bc of his years of control and salary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    It still seems highly likely that JUp will be traded, but we need to be realistic about our bargaining position. Our universe of trading partners is limited to teams that are willing / able to spend $14.5M and give up a package of young talent that is *similar* in value to the Heyward return. As far as I can see, the teams that might be in that position are Baltimore, Texas, San Francisco, and Seattle. Those teams have a number of trade options (JUp, Cespedes, Kemp/Crawford/Ethier) and some okay free agent options (Cabrera, Markakis, Rios, Aoki, Hunter). Granted, most of these names are less valuable players than Upton by varying degrees, but the point is that his suitors have options and we should temper our expectations on the return.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    That's why I called the report that 10-12 teams were in on Justin a joke.

The free agent market is pretty ****ty so I think we will still get a good deal. I think the Braves looking for current ML talent and close to ML ready talent is what makes him tough to deal. If Hart was looking for high ceiling A ball talent a deal would be done quick.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    It still seems highly likely that JUp will be traded, but we need to be realistic about our bargaining position. Our universe of trading partners is limited to teams that are willing / able to spend $14.5M and give up a package of young talent that is *similar* in value to the Heyward return. As far as I can see, the teams that might be in that position are Baltimore, Texas, San Francisco, and Seattle. Those teams have a number of trade options (JUp, Cespedes, Kemp/Crawford/Ethier) and some okay free agent options (Cabrera, Markakis, Rios, Aoki, Hunter). Granted, most of these names are less valuable players than Upton by varying degrees, but the point is that his suitors have options and we should temper our expectations on the return.
    I mostly agree with this, with a couple caveats...

As a team not really expecting to compete in 2015, the Braves could possibly include some cash in a JUp trade. This would serve to bring back a better package as well as potentially get some smaller market teams into the mix.

JUp is being shopped as the premier RHed power bat available, so everyone but Cespedes and Kemp aren't really comparable options (though Rios and Hunter could serve as a viable Plan B for many teams). Cespedes is a lesser version of JUp, and Kemp is dramatically more expensive in terms of salary, so JUp is still the top RHed power option available.

While 10-12 teams is clearly an overstatement of the interest, 3-4 teams is also an understatement. The time to trade JUp is now though...waiting any longer will only lower the potential return as more and more suitors move to Plan B.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Apparently the Padres are in win now mode and are desperate for bats. If we truly are targeting 2017 I propose the following.

Padres get: Justin and BJ (they have an opening in CF too)

Braves get: Rymer Liriano and Matt Wisler. Probably would have to take on a salary like Maybin or Quientin.

Yes this doesn't get us the Walker type prospect but we get a long term OF in Liriano and a very good looking mid rotation starter who's ready in Wisler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    New Bowman article on Upton and Gattis.

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...on-evan-gattis

Most interesting part:

"But the Braves do not seem too keen about blowing up their roster and essentially throwing in the towel on the 2015 season. Such an approach would likely draw outrage from a fan base that the club wants to keep energized as it prepares to market Sun Trust Park's opening in 2017."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    One of 2 things has to happen. Sign Justin long term now or trade him. We cant keep him and take the pick.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    ATLANTA -- When the Braves sent Jason Heyward to the Cardinals, there was reason to wonder if they would also trade both Justin Upton and Evan Gattis. But two weeks later, it seems more likely to assume Upton will be dealt and Gattis will back in the middle of Atlanta's lineup next year.
    there would be reason to for the Braves to justify addressing any of their many needs by trading either of these two players.
    By gaining potential top-flight starter Shelby Miller in the Heyward deal, the Braves gained reason to feel better about a rotation that is still being constructed.
    Sending away Upton and Gattis would essentially erase any protection for Freeman in the lineup. Trading just one of them would also likely have a negative impact on next year's offensive output.
    Some of you might remember that I did an internship with MLB.com way back in 2006. I sometimes read Mark Bowman, remember that MLB.com did not think highly of my abilities and feel the sudden urge to chug bleach.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-02-2014), Braves1976 (12-02-2014), The Chosen One (12-03-2014), UNCBlue012 (12-01-2014)