Page 22 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I'm picturing the board exploding when we trade Minor for Cespedes.
    I would explode. We should not trade for anyone on a one year deal. If we did that I would assume we plan on flipping him at the deadline.

If you are going for a WS contender in 2017 as they say, Cespedes makes no sense. It would have to be something where he signs an extension as part of it (which will never happen).

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    PRetty much every pitcher in baseball has TJ written all over them. THe re-emphasis of velocity has led to a lot of guys with more violent mechanics. In Walkers case it's the slow slow fast thing he does. There's no reason to stop mid-mechanics if you're doing it right.

WQhen you watch, Ryan, Seaver, Maddux, etc. They never stop their windup. It wastes massive amounts of power. My concern over walker isn't that he's a TJ case, my concern is he may be a Tommy Hanson case. That being said, we won't know until it happens. Until they he's an impressive young talent.

I don't have a problem with slow slow fast. Pitchers have been doing that since the dead ball era.

The issue I have with Walker is his follow through. It's the same Matt Harvey effect. The "whiplash" effect from after he releases. Instead of following through across his body and around, he whips his arm back to the right side almost immediately. When you use all the kinetic chain to go left, and a split second later you use the same force to bring it back right, you aren't letting the remaining momentum die out with your body weight, you're doing a complete 180 and wasting that momentum on an unnecessary movement just like Matt Harvey did. This will destroy the ligaments because it treats them like asking a small rubber band to support Aaron Harang's centripetal force.

When you watch Pedro, who had awesome mechanics considering his frame and height, when his arm tries to do the whip back effect, he keeps his side turned to first base so the arm doesn't move, the rest of his body adjusts to it's momentum.

Same thing with the Big Unit.

Pedro and Randy had violent deliveries, but they used their entire body to the maximum kinetic chain potential. Why Pedro's shoulder broke down later, and Randy's knees gave out. Too much torque but it helped them dominate for over a decade.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    There's not really anything remotely 'clear' about that, though.

It curiously undervalues the draft picks we would have received, and discounts the fact that the Braves would have been flush with cash in 2016/2017 (dropping the commitments due to Justin/BJ/Jason/Uggla combined with a sizable increase in payroll headed into the new ballpark) for snagging some prime free agents.

I don't disapprove of the plan to trade Heyward/J. Upton, although I think it's been poorly executed so far. But it was really quite far from the only solution.
    Really? What would the solution have been after they walked away to play in NY, LA, or Chi? Draft players with the 35th and 36th picks in the draft that would have a ~25% chance of helping by 2020? Use that money to sign a FA that was probably as mediocre as Markakis? Do we not realize all these currently young and cheap pitchers are going to be much more expensive by then, and also sucking up some of that freed money?

It is baffling to me how folks that seem to possess at least average intelligence and baseball savvy can say things like "We have $30M coming off the books, so we can spend $30M on FAs!", as if the majority of the current roster won't already be accounting for that through built in raises or arbitration awards. Do we not understand that young cost controlled players in the minor leagues are required to replace departing expensive players in order for mid-market teams to be competitive?

The fact of the matter is the Braves system was barren. It was barren to the point of being one of the worst 5 farm systems in the game. It was so bad that 1 year of Heyward and 2 years of a set up man were able to bring back a mid rotation starter with TOR potential and 4 years of control AND a pitching prospect that is probably now the best prospect in the entire system. That's how bad the minor league system is. Outside of Peraza and maybe Sims, no help is coming. None.

Heyward was used to help address that, and JUp/Gattis will be used to do the same. I just hope they focus on position players as the return.

Right now the Braves can afford 1 $20M+ player, and that player is the consistent middle of the order bat in Freeman. Hart has already said what we all know: the BJ and Uggla contracts are handcuffing the team. They can't afford to pay Heyward or JUp $20M+, so they converted them to controllable assets.

In a few years the team will probably be in position to add a $25M star, so let's hope it isn't another BJ. The Braves are about due for a big FA signing to actually work out for once.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-04-2014 at 02:06 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-04-2014), Heyward (12-04-2014), MURF21 (12-04-2014), thethe (12-04-2014)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcollier View Post
    I don't want Cespedes, but I don't mind trading Minor in the right deal. Maybe we could pry Mookie Betts away from the BoSawx?
    I'd love to get Mookie Betts or Arismendy Alcantara. Someone who can play 2B immediately and move to CF when Peraza is ready and form that 1-2 punch atop the order.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

mcollier (12-04-2014)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Not sure how this isn't understood and embraced by Braves fans.
    because fantasy baseball people and sensational Chicken George writers know more than the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    because fantasy baseball people and sensational Chicken George writers know more than the Braves.
    With this logic, every move the Braves make is the correct one.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-04-2014), bravesnumberone (12-04-2014), sturg33 (12-04-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Really? What would the solution have been after they walked away to play in NY, LA, or Chi? Draft players with the 35th and 36th picks in the draft that would have a ~25% chance of helping by 2020? Use that money to sign a FA that was probably as mediocre as Markakis? Do we not realize all these currently young and cheap pitchers are going to be much more expensive by then, and also sucking up some of that freed money?

It is baffling to me how folks that seem to possess at least average intelligence and baseball savvy can say things like "We have $30M coming off the books, so we can spend $30M on FAs!", as if the majority of the current roster won't already be accounting for that through built in raises or arbitration awards. Do we not understand that young cost controlled players in the minor leagues are required to replace departing expensive players in order for mid-market teams to be competitive?

The fact of the matter is the Braves system was barren. It was barren to the point of being one of the worst 5 farm systems in the game. It was so bad that 1 year of Heyward and 2 years of a set up man were able to bring back a mid rotation starter with TOR potential and 4 years of control AND a pitching prospect that is probably now the best prospect in the entire system. That's how bad the minor league system is. Outside of Peraza and maybe Sims, no help is coming. None.

Heyward was used to help address that, and JUp/Gattis will be used to do the same. I just hope they focus on position players as the return.

Right now the Braves can afford 1 $20M+ player, and that player is the consistent middle of the order bat in Freeman. Hart has already said what we all know: the BJ and Uggla contracts are handcuffing the team. They can't afford to pay Heyward or JUp $20M+, so they converted them to controllable assets.

In a few years the team will probably be in position to add a $25M star, so let's hope it isn't another BJ. The Braves are about due for a big FA signing to actually work out for once.
    Bravo!

/endthread
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ#1FAN View Post
    I am the best.
    Love the new avatar.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2014), Julio3000 (12-04-2014), The Chosen One (12-04-2014), UNCBlue012 (12-04-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Love the new avatar.
    He posted it on his Facebook page the day of the trade... cards fans made it for him asap.

Use it as your avatar, this is our HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT! protest.
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-04-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I have to stop for a moment and chuckle at the absurdist notion that the entire future of the organization hung in the balance over whether or not the Braves retained Justin Upton and Jason Heyward in 2015. That somehow the farm system would've continued to languish in obscurity without acquiring Tyrell Jenkins (and whomever the Braves eventually get for J. Upton and/or Gattis), that yet to be selected draft picks would've surely amounted to squat, that any subsequent additions to the team would've been mediocre. You have a tendency to operate in (negative) ultimates with a truly unique future-revisionist perspective.

Anyways, the team would have considerably more than '$30MM' coming off of the books by 2016/2017. We're talking about anywhere from $50-$75MM, with little consideration given to forthcoming bumps in payroll. That's pretty significant. I'll give you $15MM for the 'built in raises' and 'arbitration awards' that you are, for some odd reason, treating as enormous expenditures -- and that's probably more than generous.

That's enough to acquire a few key components and contend in 2017. Not 2027.

And that's not making any mention of any of the other facets of the team which will most likely improve given the recent changes at the top, such as the scouting department, player development, etc.

This is rebuilding 101.
    Last edited by Hawk; 12-04-2014 at 03:07 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (12-04-2014), jpx7 (12-04-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Damn, they've got SAV on some heavy meds.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Damn, they've got SAV on some heavy meds.
    WHAT'S UP THAR BRAVES.NET?!
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2014)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    With this logic, every move the Braves make is the correct one.
    Sound logic I'd say.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Love the new avatar.
    Outstanding.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
    WHAT'S UP THAR BRAVES.NET?!
    *virtual fistbump* Respect.

Also, I love my title haha.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2014), The Chosen One (12-04-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Outstanding.
    Oh ****. I got a new custom title, too.

Thanks for the hyphen. Otherwise people might think I was merely a cocaine instructor who didn't wear pants.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2014), Tapate50 (12-04-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Oh ****. I got a new custom title, too.

Thanks for the hyphen. Otherwise people might think I was merely a cocaine instructor who didn't wear pants.

I'm a failure. Again.
    Forever Fredi

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I have been working on a special project and have not been catching up as well as I should.

Any reaction to the Mariners trading Saunders to the Blue Jays for J.A. Happ and how it might impact this has on Braves-Ms talk?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Sav, should charge 15 cents per year for use of the Heyward avatar.

JK, who in the world give up 15 cents for that? Would you?!!!
    thank you weso1!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-04-2014), Julio3000 (12-04-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heywood View Post

I'm a failure. Again.
    Love you, chief.