Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: GDT 6/15/19: Kill the Phills

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    You guys fussing about Luke ... come on guys. This crap happens - hell CK blew plenty of these. We are in first place. Just relax.
    We have a huge advantage tomorrow. And if we lose, we are still in first. We are better than them. They are playing for a WC spot. And they know it.
    I fully trust Luke.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    6 blown saves in 16 chances. Time for a change.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SidSlid92 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-16-2019)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Of the six Phillies runs, five were unearned
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    This was a bullpen game even if Newcomb didn't get nailed as his pitch limit actually wasn't all that high. One that was very nearly pulled out, and would've been without errors.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    7 days...Sobotka or Parsons likely to be called up tomorrow
    I think Sobotka is on the minor league IL.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I think Sobotka is on the minor league IL.
    he was last i checked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    You guys fussing about Luke ... come on guys. This crap happens - hell CK blew plenty of these. We are in first place. Just relax.
    We have a huge advantage tomorrow. And if we lose, we are still in first. We are better than them. They are playing for a WC spot. And they know it.
    I fully trust Luke.
    CK never came close to blowing 6 saves in 16 chances. In fact, besides his second year in the league, he never had more than 5 blown saves in a whole season. Now I would not have given him the money and years he got and glad we didn’t... but seriously man?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-16-2019), Dalyn (06-16-2019), jpx7 (06-16-2019)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    i would have given CK the 3rd year

just fun perspective on how much that money is to the liberty owner

giving CK that last year and what it is worth is equal to 20 cents for how much money the liberty CEO has. giving CK that money is less than getting an extra sauce at zaxbys to him. lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Since the start of May, Jackson has a K/9 of 15.30 and a BB/9 of 1.35. his xFIP is 1.23.

In that time his ERA is 3.60 and he's blown 4 saves (saved 9).

His BABIP is a silly .432 and his HR/FB is unsustainably 33.3.

Luke has been incredibly frustrating recently. I was 100% confident he was going to blow that save. The fan in me that was upset with his appearance last night wants him gone.

However, it really looks like he might be one of the unluckiest pitchers in the game the last 6 weeks or so. Last night was a perfect example. He really only gave up one hard hit ball. Everything else was just perfectly placed.

It's hard to have patience in situations like this and it's perfectly fine for fans to vent after bad losses. But I expect the team is looking at the whole picture here and will be patient with Luke.

He is our best reliever, though admittedly that's not saying a lot.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-16-2019), weso1 (06-16-2019)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i would have given CK the 3rd year

just fun perspective on how much that money is to the liberty owner

giving CK that last year and what it is worth is equal to 20 cents for how much money the liberty CEO has. giving CK that money is less than getting an extra sauce at zaxbys to him. lol
    But how would that have helped us last night? Kimbrel is no where near ready to pitch so he wouldn’t have sniffed that game. And paying him that amount of money for that long is insane m

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Since the start of May, Jackson has a K/9 of 15.30 and a BB/9 of 1.35. his xFIP is 1.23.

Luke has been incredibly frustrating recently. I was 100% confident he was going to blow that save. The fan in me that was upset with his appearance last night wants him gone.

However, it really looks like he might be one of the unluckiest pitchers in the game the last 6 weeks or so. Last night was a perfect example. He really only gave up one hard hit ball. Everything else was just perfectly placed.

It's hard to have patience in situations like this and it's perfectly fine for fans to vent after bad losses. But I expect the team is looking at the whole picture here and will be patient with Luke.

Interesting. But I saw him miss spots badly last night, repeatedly. It looks to me like hes wild in the zone. And his pitch sequencing is lousy. Any way to quantify those?

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    At some point it doesn’t matter what your woba, xfip, goomba and other advanced stats are, it’s whether or not you get the job done. Luke Jackson is a solid pitcher and has and will help us tremendously, but he has 5bs. Fernando Rodney looked like a mess most of his career, but rarely had more than 6bs the entire season. Yet he closed into his 40’s.

I think we’ll make a move eventually, but the pen has settled down enough recently that we can be a little patient.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

A well-thought out, rational post. I like it.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts

That’s a shockingly reasonable and level-headed take.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-16-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

In the meantime the next consideration should probably be deemphasizing the closer label some, otherwise Luke is going to go the way of Sam Freeman and turn most of the fanbase against him. Like today hopefully this game is just a blowout with encouraging signs from Folty, but if not, I'd let Luke sit out anyway and play matchups again as that has worked when they've done it.

Yup, deemphasizing the closer role. That'll make some uncomfortable but I'd do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    In the meantime the next consideration should probably be deemphasizing the closer label some, otherwise Luke is going to go the way of Sam Freeman and turn most of the fanbase against him. Like today hopefully this game is just a blowout with encouraging signs from Folty, but if not, I'd let Luke sit out anyway and play matchups again as that has worked when they've done it.

Yup, deemphasizing the closer role. That'll make some uncomfortable but I'd do it.
    Feel like we already tried that earlier in the year and it was a disaster

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Feel like we already tried that earlier in the year and it was a disaster
    Yeah that's not the case. Earlier in the year it was Minter/Arodys share the role and pitch full innings. There's been only a couple cases in which they decided to go with NO closer and play matchups.

...and it worked. Both cases led to relatively easy 9th innings and the lead was not big for either case. Should show y'all that there's no such thing as the mythical "closer!" and mystique in the 9th inning.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

See, now that wasn’t so hard to be objective and look at what’s actually going on.

The FO knows Jackson is one of the best BP arms in the game this year, so they aren’t going to overreact to losing a close game late to the main rival in the division.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    I agree he’s been extremely unlucky, as the numbers bare out, but a lot of his problems are self inflicted. His error last night was all on him. He should have calmly made the throw to first and only one run scores that inning. Also, and they comment on it every game he pitches, his sequencing is awful. He gets slider happy and just keeps throwing them over and over. Every ab he’s starting you off with a slider and it continues until he’s behind in the count. And then predictably starts throwing fastballs to catch back up. His fastball sits at 95-96. Use it! It’s like he’s scared of getting beat by a pitch that can attack and tie up hitters. I’m willing to bet if he improves his sequencing and attacks with his fastball first he’ll greatly improve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    See, now that wasn’t so hard to be objective and look at what’s actually going on.

The FO knows Jackson is one of the best BP arms in the game this year, so they aren’t going to overreact to losing a close game late to the main rival in the division.
    There's no room for objectivity until at least 8 hours after a blown save like that. That period is devoted to venting and emotional outbursts.