Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Compleete & Ready For Debate: 1st-ever Chop Country Prospects List

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Problem is that an amazing defensive C doesn't do as much over average as an amazing defensive SS. Simmons saves more runs than Yadier. And I don't think Betancourt is a better defender than Yadier.

This. All I hear about is how great defensively he is, but how valuable is that really at the catcher position? Is he going to handle the pitchers better than Mac? By all accounts, Mac handles the staff wonderfully. I read an article not too long ago that praised Mac and said how much the staff would miss his presence behind the plate. Can Bethancourt be better than that? I doubt it. We also know that MAc is one of the best in the league at framing pithches. Those seems more important than throwing out runners or blocking balls in the dirt, imo.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Can everyone just agree the CB has had a great season and his stock has risen in terms of value to the orginazation.

I don't know what he ever will become but I am glad he is turning in a very good season.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skidlee For This Useful Post:

Teheran_49 (08-21-2013), thethe (08-21-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Honestly though what are the chances Mac is a Brave next year? I can't see FW giving him more than 3/36 and even then I'd be leery of the deal. I don't know how great a CB/Gattis platoon would be but I would say it wouldn't be any worse than league average. We've got to dump pay roll somehow with all the young guys hitting their arby years either next year or year after. I can't help but to think how bad this BJ Upton deal could hand cuff us. I know it's only one year but man he has done absolutely nothing and I can't think of a FA signing worse than this one.

This site here pretty much sums it up(it's a really cool site for all MLB players salaries):http://baseballplayersalaries.com/players/842_BJ_Upton

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    If all the braves offer him was 3/36 no way in heck does Mccann stay. 4-5 years between 50-55 million is the offer that gets Mccann to stay IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I think its 50/50 McCann re-signs. I think he will offer a discount the only question is if it will be enough. I think they will negotiate before free agency officially starts and if a deal isnt done by then the chances drop significantly. I have the feeling a team like Texas is going to make Brian a huge offer.

As far as the payroll goes there are options that would allow the Braves to keep McCann. Every team is getting a 25 million more per year from the new TV deals which and from what we have heard payroll is set at revenue so we can assume 15 million or so of that money goes to payroll. If we dont re-sign Hudson we are looking at 85-90 million in payroll without McCann depending on how some arbitration figures go. I will assume 15 million is what we would pay per year to keep Brian. That would easily fit into the 2014 budget since I dont see anywhere else we would even spend the money. The problem comes in 2015. Kimbrel could get 12+ million in arbitration and Chris Johnson could be at 8 million that year too. We could trade them after the 2014 season to bring the budget in line while keeping McCann. If we cant get Heyward/Upton to sign new deals around this time it might also be an option to trade one of them. No matter how much money we have we arent going to be able to give both of them market deals. Highly unlikely either one of them gets a market deal because we just cant afford 20+ million dollar contracts unless they are Miguel Cabrera kind of good/consistent.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    If Kimbrel finishes high on the CYA list how much you think he will get for 14 thru arb??
    If Johnson wins the Batting Title how much he think he will get for 14 thru arb?

Hint: See lincicum, papelbon, rivera re: Kimbrel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I know this guy doesn't get mentioned much but is Shae Simmons our next Craig Kimbrel? Shae is like 5'9 but his numbers are staggering. In 48 innings he has 75 k's with a .175 BAA. He's also yet to give up a home run since we've drafted him. Keep an eye on this guy.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    Can everyone just agree the CB has had a great season and his stock has risen in terms of value to the orginazation.

I don't know what he ever will become but I am glad he is turning in a very good season.
    Exactly my thoughts! CB has been a favorite of mine for a while now. I'm glad he's realizing his potential and the Braves are patient enough to let him have growing pains.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    If Kimbrel finishes high on the CYA list how much you think he will get for 14 thru arb??
    If Johnson wins the Batting Title how much he think he will get for 14 thru arb?

Hint: See lincicum, papelbon, rivera re: Kimbrel
    Papelbon got 6.25 arb 1 then 9.35 arb 2 and then 12 mill in arb 3. Assuming he doesnt regress or get injured I would say Kimbrel gets 8/12/16. You could add Kimbrel's ERA from this year and last year and still be lower than Papelbon's going into his first arbitration year. With the new TV deal raising revenue I wouldnt put 20 million his last year as out of the question. Thats why I would see what other teams would offer every offseason and if the right deal comes along trade him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Papelbon got 6.25 arb 1 then 9.35 arb 2 and then 12 mill in arb 3. Assuming he doesnt regress or get injured I would say Kimbrel gets 8/12/16. You could add Kimbrel's ERA from this year and last year and still be lower than Papelbon's going into his first arbitration year. With the new TV deal raising revenue I wouldnt put 20 million his last year as out of the question. Thats why I would see what other teams would offer every offseason and if the right deal comes along trade him.
    Kinda what I was getting at tho you ignored Chris Johnson. Some big decisions coming up for Wren on players who tho very good dont really contribute all that much on the field.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Kinda what I was getting at tho you ignored Chris Johnson. Some big decisions coming up for Wren on players who tho very good dont really contribute all that much on the field.
    If Johnson wins the Title he could be an 8M player. If he doesn't it should be a more modest raise.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    If Johnson wins the Title he could be an 8M player. If he doesn't it should be a more modest raise.
    Probably a little more IMO but the point is he really doesnt contribute to the overall production that that number would indicate.
    Player A: 153 hits, 42 xbhs, 10 HR and 63 RBI
    Player B: 155 hits, 47 xbhs, 20 HR and 98 RBI

Johnson and Freeman obviously, I would think Johnson could bring something that would help the team a bit more. Not that I am complaining about Chris, he just isnt a foundation type player IMO.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I'm all for trading Chris Johnson. Any team who'll offer us a piece for Johnson (I tihnk a package built around Johnson and Medlen could net us a huge return) I'd gladly listen.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I have no idea on Johnson because of the batting title issue but without that I would have guessed 5.5 million for him next year. He would still have 2 more years of arbitration because he was a super 2 player. Depending on whats offered for him I would keep him for 2014 but after that he will probably cost more than he is worth. Its a very weak 3B market this offseason which both works in our favor for trading him and makes him hard to replace. I am not ready for the Joe Leonard era to begin just yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I have no idea on Johnson because of the batting title issue but without that I would have guessed 5.5 million for him next year. He would still have 2 more years of arbitration because he was a super 2 player. Depending on whats offered for him I would keep him for 2014 but after that he will probably cost more than he is worth. Its a very weak 3B market this offseason which both works in our favor for trading him and makes him hard to replace. I am not ready for the Joe Leonard era to begin just yet.
    None of us has any idea but thats what makes it fun. Is there even a market for Chris? What teams need a 3rd sacker? My concerns are that his batting numbers will price him out of reality simply because of the arbitration process in place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Well the Yankees, Angels, Dodgers, Indians, and Cardinals look to be in the most need of a 3B in 2014. Except for the dodgers they could all use one of our starters as well if we wanted to expand the deal. Part of the problem is we are a team built to win now so prospects that wont make an immediate impact arent so attractive to the Braves. I think the Braves could make a run at trading for Price this offseason in which case we could trade Johnson to a team for prospects that the Rays like along with a starter like Medlen. We would need to add more to that deal but that would get us 2/3rds of the way there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Prospect thread.....
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Thats what we are talking about. The prospects of the team going foreward.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PawPawMaxwell For This Useful Post:

thethe (09-13-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I am curious after Hale's start where everyone else would rank him. I know it was only one start against a bad offensive team but he looked really good. With Wood no longer going to be a rookie next year I think Hale could be as high as 4th.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I am curious after Hale's start where everyone else would rank him. I know it was only one start against a bad offensive team but he looked really good. With Wood no longer going to be a rookie next year I think Hale could be as high as 4th.
    He's 15th here and I think that's probably a decent assessment. I think he's a solid bet to contribute after his AAA season, but I wondered about him up until this season because of his peripherals. If he can make some adjustments, he could be a fifth starter or a decent bullpen option. Throws harder than I thought he did.