"I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Dodgers are sniffing around Felipe Vazquez according to Jon Morosi, per MLBTR.

As I noted yesterday, Vazquez probably would slot just below the big three of Will Smith, Kirby Yates, and Brad Hand in terms of 2019 dominance, but is controlled through 2023.

2020 5.25
    2021 7.25
    2022 10m club option
    2023 10m club option

Jon Morosi

Verified account

@jonmorosi
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    #Dodgers interested in #Pirates closer Felipe Vázquez, source says. Pittsburgh has no urgency to move Vázquez -- they have team options through 2023 -- but #Dodgers want to add the best reliever possible and have a strong farm system. @MLBNetwork @MLB

If any team has the organizational depth and urgency to acquire Vazquez, the Dodgers are it. The Dodgers have interest in the Pittsburgh left-hander, one source said, and are well-situated to acquire him for two reasons: The Dodgers’ farm system is deep enough to afford him, and the acquisition of a dynamic left-hander to pair with Kenley Jansen at the end of the game is the most obvious need for an otherwise near-perfect roster.

https://www.mlb.com/news/relief-pitc...trade-deadline
    The Pirates would be nuts not to move Vasquez if the Dodgers offer them a good package for him. Given his control, the Pirates could probably get either Lux or Ruiz plus a couple of those young 40/45s that the Dodgers have in their farm.

If I were the Pirates, I'd ask for Lux, Cartaya, and Grove at the very minimum. The Pirates aren't in a position where it makes sense to keep an immensely valuable reliever with multiple years of cheap team control and those three would be huge for their farm, which has major depth issues after their top 3-4 guys.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Boyd strikes me as the kind of newly valuable pitcher that someone will overpay to acquire, similar to when Chatwood hit the FA market and was suddenly considered some super valuable piece. I wasn't on board with that, and I'm never on board with pitchers who suddenly appear to become much better later in their career.

Boyd is certainly a good SP, and he certainly has real value. Like you, I would be in favor of acquiring him if the price is right...as usual.
    I thought the same thing about Eovaldi this past offseason. I didn't get the hype and I still don't. I bet the Red Sox are regretting the hell out of that decision right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If we're trading for a starter and I gotta go with Zach Wheeler. He's a rental, so the cost shouldn't be substantial. He is currently having a bit of bad luck, which suggests the pendulum is likely to swing back over the 2nd half, and while that is unlikely to affect his acquisition cost tremendously, it's certainly better than him leading the league in ERA.
    He struggled last season too before finishing on a monster tear in second half.

I do think the Mets are likely to fall out of it before the deadline, but might be difficult for their GM to 1) concede defeat and 2) trade inter-division.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Vazquez would be on my short list.
    I just don't want to pay the price for him, especially if the Dodgers are involved in the discussions. I feel getting those four cheap years is going to be priced out of my comfort zone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-27-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Reasonably interesting collection of rumors here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-27-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I thought the same thing about Eovaldi this past offseason. I didn't get the hype and I still don't. I bet the Red Sox are regretting the hell out of that decision right now.
    Somewhat similar profile and situation to his sometime rotation mate, Fulmer, as well. Perhaps a clearer breakout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Boyd would cost a ton. I like him a lot. But don't think the price will be acceptable.
    I think you are probably correct. I'm just not convinced Stroman is really a legit upgrade. MadBum is DEFINITELY not

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-27-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think you are probably correct. I'm just not convinced Stroman is really a legit upgrade. MadBum is DEFINITELY not
    Stroman is most definitely an upgrade. The perceived “ace” according to many here is currently in AAA. DK while solid overall is a relative unknown, but should be okay down the line and not a slot you need to worry about. JT is up and down and he’s been better this season. You aren’t really sure what you are going to get from him. Stroman is more than serviceable and would land right in the middle of most pitching staffs. Soroka is pitching great, but he’s so young. Do we know how much an inning count is realistic for him? Can he counted on in September and beyond. Fried is another guy in the rotation. Young, but sreadyish. Nothing special, but isn’t a hole either.

Is Stroman a massive upgrade? Probably not, but he’s better than at least 2 of the current starters and another guy in AAA.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Stroman is most definitely an upgrade. The perceived “ace” according to many here is currently in AAA. DK while solid overall is a relative unknown, but should be okay down the line and not a slot you need to worry about. JT is up and down and he’s been better this season. You aren’t really sure what you are going to get from him. Stroman is more than serviceable and would land right in the middle of most pitching staffs. Soroka is pitching great, but he’s so young. Do we know how much an inning count is realistic for him? Can he counted on in September and beyond. Fried is another guy in the rotation. Young, but sreadyish. Nothing special, but isn’t a hole either.

Is Stroman a massive upgrade? Probably not, but he’s better than at least 2 of the current starters and another guy in AAA.
    I was told Stroman was massive.
    Forever Fredi

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-27-2019), NinersSBChamps (06-26-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post

Forgive me if I don’t agree with you, as you readily admit you don’t understand or care to understand advanced stats. You even have stated on numerous occasions you barely even watch the games. I didn’t say Stroman wouldn’t be an upgrade... I said he wouldn’t be a legit upgrade... maybe the term significant works better. Certainly not enough of an upgrade to stupidly break the bank for

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I am intrigued by Zack Wheeler. Pitching pretty well outside of a bad HR rate, but that seems to be infecting every Mets pitcher. He is a pending FA but he is also from Georgia. I think the Mets are a good match for what we have to sell.

The Mets GM is a dumbass. He got the job because he was the only candidate who didn't want to rebuild. Inciarte would be an upgrade over what they have at CF. Frazier is a placeholder at 3b and could be traded. If they still want to pretend like they can compete in the near future who is going to give up top talent that's close to the majors for a half season of Wheeler?
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 06-27-2019 at 01:50 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-27-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I think Wheeler can realistically be expected to provide about 2 WAR over the remainder of the season. This is by no means exact, but I'm gonna give him 30-35 million in surplus value when accounting for the contenders premium. Going by the Fangraphs FV chart, I think it's likely they will end up with a 1 FV 50 prospect, 1 FV 45 prospect, and filler. They could shoot for the moon and hope to get one
    55 FV player in return, but I don't see any teams doing that for a rental.

I assume our positional prospects with a 50 FV or better are off limits in regards to a rental player. Among the 50 FV pitchers we have Wilson, Gohara, Touki, and Muller (who I am going to assume will be rated as 50 FV when FG list is updated).

Among the 45's you have Wentz, Allard, and Jenista as preseason 45s and imo, they haven't done anything to change that rating. You also likely have some risers from the 40 FV group of Weigel, Ynoa, Alex Jackson, Davidson, and Tarnok. There is also a possibility that Demeritte has some potential value in place of a 45 value prospect. So a trade could look this:

Bryce Wilson, Greyson Jenista, and organizational filler for Wheeler.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-27-2019 at 02:58 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    By the time they trade him he won't be projected for 2 WAR for the remainder of the season. I would be fine giving that up for Wheeler.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I am intrigued by Zack Wheeler. Pitching pretty well outside of a bad HR rate, but that seems to be infecting every Mets pitcher. He is a pending FA but he is also from Georgia. I think the Mets are a good match for what we have to sell.

The Mets GM is a dumbass. He got the job because he was the only candidate who didn't want to rebuild. Inciarte would be an upgrade over what they have at CF. Frazier is a placeholder at 3b and could be traded. If they still want to pretend like they can compete in the near future who is going to give up top talent that's close to the majors for a half season of Wheeler?
    Have thought for a while now that AA might make a sneaky play for Wheeler this winter, but would he really trade for him? Certainly wouldn't mind it if it doesn't cost more than the package Carp mentions, but not sure that's not just a touch rich for me - but if it were Wentz or Allard with Jenista I don't know how anybody could complain. Getting him back home and in a race for a couple months couldn't hurt if AA planned to make a move for him this winter anyway.

Heard Stern discussing potential Mutts moves yesterday, and while I don't know that Ender would be a fit there (even if they were just taking his money), one of his "musts" was doing something about CF to get Conforto back on a corner. Just tough to see them taking Ender's money without being able to somehow get out from under what they owe Lagares next year, and I can't imagine AA would want any part of it.

There's got to be a taker for Inciarte out there - that probably needs to be one of the things at the top of the To Do list this winter IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Have thought for a while now that AA might make a sneaky play for Wheeler this winter, but would he really trade for him? Certainly wouldn't mind it if it doesn't cost more than the package Carp mentions, but not sure that's not just a touch rich for me - but if it were Wentz or Allard with Jenista I don't know how anybody could complain. Getting him back home and in a race for a couple months couldn't hurt if AA planned to make a move for him this winter anyway.

Heard Stern discussing potential Mutts moves yesterday, and while I don't know that Ender would be a fit there (even if they were just taking his money), one of his "musts" was doing something about CF to get Conforto back on a corner. Just tough to see them taking Ender's money without being able to somehow get out from under what they owe Lagares next year, and I can't imagine AA would want any part of it.

There's got to be a taker for Inciarte out there - that probably needs to be one of the things at the top of the To Do list this winter IMO.

Isn't Lagares a free agent after the season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think Wheeler can realistically be expected to provide about 2 WAR over the remainder of the season. This is by no means exact, but I'm gonna give him 30-35 million in surplus value when accounting for the contenders premium. Going by the Fangraphs FV chart, I think it's likely they will end up with a 1 FV 50 prospect, 1 FV 45 prospect, and filler. They could shoot for the moon and hope to get one
    55 FV player in return, but I don't see any teams doing that for a rental.

I assume our positional prospects with a 50 FV or better are off limits in regards to a rental player. Among the 50 FV pitchers we have Wilson, Gohara, Touki, and Muller (who I am going to assume will be rated as 50 FV when FG list is updated).

Among the 45's you have Wentz, Allard, and Jenista as preseason 45s and imo, they haven't done anything to change that rating. You also likely have some risers from the 40 FV group of Weigel, Ynoa, Alex Jackson, Davidson, and Tarnok. There is also a possibility that Demeritte has some potential value in place of a 45 value prospect. So a trade could look this:

Bryce Wilson, Greyson Jenista, and organizational filler for Wheeler.
    Have I become a prospect hoarder? I love the idea of Wheeler, but not for that price.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Isn't Lagares a free agent after the season?
    Actually has a buyout, so essentially yes.

Would make more than Ender if they exercised it (and heaven knows they don't have anything coming in their system that's going to be cheaper), but it's not like they're going to be able to get a "true CF" without dealing for someone unless they're going to play someone out of place (which wouldn't make sense if you're trying to move Conforto off the position for that same reason) or spend big on Starling Marte. Free-agent options are...

Adam Eaton
    Jarrod Dyson
    Leonys Martin
    Austin Jackson
    Jon Jay
    Brett Gardner

Puig and Ozuna will be out there, but I can't see them being any better defensively in CF than Conforto.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Have I become a prospect hoarder? I love the idea of Wheeler, but not for that price.
    That's the fine line for me too. Seems a little steep for a rental (although you'd also then have the option of Wheeler, Folty, or Gausman closing down the stretch), but is there really much of a path to regular work for Allard/Wentz/Jenista at this point? When do you start using some of these prospects to make the big club better - especially someone like Allard who might not even be able to help out of the pen?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Unrelated observation --- Mallex Smith has been an awful CF this year. Wow.