Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: DOB: Braves offseason about to get a lot busier. - Gamel released.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Nobody's "untouchable" - that's GM-speak.
    Wren puts players as untouchable in trades, and doesnt trade them.

See: Minor, Julio, Heyward, Freeman, Simmons to name a few of them.

Sims is among that.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Wren puts players as untouchable in trades, and doesnt trade them.

See: Minor, Julio, Heyward, Freeman, Simmons to name a few of them.

Sims is among that.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

See: "I invented the internet." - Gore, Al

(Wil Myers was "untouchable" for a long time.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Sims is untouchable until you throw a name like Chris Sale out there.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Sims is untouchable until you throw a name like Chris Sale out there.
    "The Diamondbacks are one of the teams with the most aggressive interest in White Sox ace Chris Sale, but there's no guarantee that the Sox have made him available, per ESPN's Buster Olney (on Twitter). Earlier today it was reported that the Sox are looking to move a starting pitcher, but Sale would require an even bigger package than David Price will command."

If Sims is "untouchable", Wren's not even talking to either Chicago team about either guy or Tampa about Price.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

See: "I invented the internet." - Gore, Al
    http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/ne...wreply&p=66200
    (Wil Myers was "untouchable" for a long time.)
    Just because Dayton Moore is an idiot doesnt mean Wren should.

I would consider trading him for Sale but i dont see Wren doing it.

Nor do we have what it takes unless we put Heyward on the table.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don't like the idea of trading for Samarja. I think the Braves can develop stud pitchers. If we have holes we should look for solid, low cost guys. I don't like paying a bunch of prospects for a pitcher. Then add in that he's going to get expensive really fast....

If we are going to do a big prospect trade I want a bat. B/c I think we are lacking in that area and I don't have confidence in the system to create a bat like I do an arm.

If we pay a lot to the Cubs I hope they take Uggla back. They have money, they need players.

Yankees have nothing to offer. System is dead. If we can throw uggla in the deal for CB and a couple of solid arms (no one who has pitched in the majors, not Simms, Not Cabrera, not Graham). I know that isn't a big haul that the Cubs would love. But can the Yankees do better?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Heyward, like CK, is 2 years from being gone. We won't pay the top dollar for either and both are looking to be FA (based on everything out there, but I concede nothing concrete and I could be totally wrong).

So I think Wren should shop both. I would like to know if we can get a haul that sets us up to win now and in the future. It would also show other guys that if they are set on being a FA, then they are going to get traded before that.

I can't imagine another team would give us what Heyward it worth, or worth to us. We'd have to get back a haul, a haul with significant offensive punch and a leadoff option. <1% chance of Heyward going. But I think Wren should at least find out what his options are. The only other alternative is to go all in and try to win the next two years and then know that guys are going to leave as FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I wouldn't include Wood, Sims or Cabrera in a trade for Samardzija.

I would offer Bethancourt and any three minor league pitchers besides those three. Note that players taken in the 2013 draft can't be traded yet. That would still leave some pretty interesting pitchers for the Cubs to choose from: Graham, Hale, Parsons, Simmons, Thomas, Martin, Gilmartin. If that's not enough, I would wish good luck to the Cubs getting a better package from the Yankees or some other club.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 12-09-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Heyward, like CK, is 2 years from being gone. We won't pay the top dollar for either and both are looking to be FA (based on everything out there, but I concede nothing concrete and I could be totally wrong).

So I think Wren should shop both. I would like to know if we can get a haul that sets us up to win now and in the future. It would also show other guys that if they are set on being a FA, then they are going to get traded before that.

I can't imagine another team would give us what Heyward it worth, or worth to us. We'd have to get back a haul, a haul with significant offensive punch and a leadoff option. <1% chance of Heyward going. But I think Wren should at least find out what his options are. The only other alternative is to go all in and try to win the next two years and then know that guys are going to leave as FA.
    Agree completely. No one is untouchable. But the chances of us moving Heyward are pretty low based on what he gives us and how hard he would be to replace.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Just because Dayton Moore is an idiot doesnt mean Wren should.

I would consider trading him for Sale but i dont see Wren doing it.

Nor do we have what it takes unless we put Heyward on the table.
    http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/frank...exit-fu/nbPTP/

"Q: You could have used an ace down the stretch, is that something you would look to add from outside?

A: Unfortunately, aces or top-of-the-rotation starting pitching is the most rare commodity, whether it’s the trade market or free-agent market. And you look at this year’s free-agent market, there really isn’t one of those guys. Whether there’s going to be one in the trade market, I don’t know. But we recognize that that’s an area of need.

Q: I know you don’t like to say anyone is untouchable, but is (pitching prospect) Lucas Sims an all-but-untouchable?

A: I’m not going to get into specific names. Like every organization, we have prospects that we definitely would like to hold onto. … You’re always going to resist trading (them), and then there are going to come times where the deal is just too big and too important for your organization to pass on."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/frank...exit-fu/nbPTP/

"Q: You could have used an ace down the stretch, is that something you would look to add from outside?

A: Unfortunately, aces or top-of-the-rotation starting pitching is the most rare commodity, whether it’s the trade market or free-agent market. And you look at this year’s free-agent market, there really isn’t one of those guys. Whether there’s going to be one in the trade market, I don’t know. But we recognize that that’s an area of need.

Q: I know you don’t like to say anyone is untouchable, but is (pitching prospect) Lucas Sims an all-but-untouchable?

A: I’m not going to get into specific names. Like every organization, we have prospects that we definitely would like to hold onto. … You’re always going to resist trading (them), and then there are going to come times where the deal is just too big and too important for your organization to pass on."
    I agree, that player is Price and we dont have what it takes for him.

My point stands.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I agree, that player is Price and we dont have what it takes for him.

My point stands.

But, but, but...you said Sims is "untouchable".

(Don't let things like direct Wren quotes get in your way now - he said "aces", not "Price".)
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    But, but, but...you said Sims is "untouchable".

(Don't let things like direct Wren quotes get in your way now - he said "aces", not "Price".)
    Price and Sale are the ace/aces on the market, we cant get either, so therefore Sims is untouchable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Sims should be untouchable for US to move, not for other teams to call about. I personally don't like dealing young high upside arms.

No one liked my Uggla for Danks trade? Well shucks.
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    No one liked my Uggla for Danks trade? Well shucks.
    I did. Have to wonder if ChiSox would have any interest in Uggla, though. Kenny Williams does seem to have a bit of a fetish for sluggers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Youk for a backup 3b\bench bat?
    Ivermectin Man

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Youk for a backup 3b\bench bat?
    I think he could help.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    "@mlbbowman: The odds of Samardzija ending up in ATL seem pretty slim." [ http://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/410155025017864192 ]

Damn, I kind of just want something to talk about at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    "@mlbbowman: The odds of Samardzija ending up in ATL seem pretty slim." [ http://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/410155025017864192 ]

Damn, I kind of just want something to talk about at this point.
    Agree 1000x over. At least give us something to discuss Wren.
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I mean all-around average. He could provide absolutely nothing offensively, which would make him useless as a starter.
    Bethancourt may be average from a bat perspective, but he's not from a defensive catcher perspective. He put up (.277 12 HR and 45 RBI over 90 Games), Not all-star caliber, but if you've ever seen him CATCH, he's not average. I get that he may be dealt, but he's not a throw-in to some of these proposals.