Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braves president John Hart: “It’s not like I’m breaking up the ’27 Yankees” ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Trading away your best hitters wont fix a 29th ranked offense either....

Why GM/Manager? They have the biggest outcome over games and seasons.
    I think everyone is in agreement there, but what happens if we bring both Justin and Jason back, our offense sucks and we miss the playoffs again? Then it's not only an awful scenenario, but we get a lone draft pick and loss them both either way. Trading Jason for a solid starter in Miller and a good prospect in Jenkins was a good baseball move. Trading or Extenting Justin is a good move as well.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Trading or Extenting Justin is a good move as well.
    What if they decide to keep Justin (no extension)?

I would be against that, I think. Unless Hart pulled off some other sneaky moves.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

Those of you defending Hart are going to feel pretty stupid when the rest of us unmask him as a Nationals' spy by the end of this.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ESP47 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-15-2014), Hawk (12-15-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

And having these hitters has done nothing for us.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    And having these hitters has done nothing for us.

2013 happened. Last time i checked.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy View Post
    Why is it always the manager or the GM? We've had some guys severely underperform. Lets send them letters...
    Dear Melvin,

I know your bat speed has slowed significantly, but why don't you just try harder? Surely that's the issue. Why have you aged and gotten slower? Why did you greedily force our team to sign you to a terrible contract? I'm sure it isn't painful enough to watch your younger, more popular brother outperform you at the only thing you've spent your life learning how to do - you should feel bad for disappointing me because you got old. You shouldn't have done that.

Signed,
    An a**hole

8. The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-17-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

I don't agree with that statement at all, at least in terms of single season performance. The biggest outcome is determined by the players on the field. GMs and managers control which group of players and where/when they play, but in the end it's all up to the players to perform in any given season. Now as far as the amount of success over multiple seasons, yes I would lay that at the feet of GM/Manager.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What if they decide to keep Justin (no extension)?

I would be against that, I think. Unless Hart pulled off some other sneaky moves.
    I would as well, depending on what offers are out there for Upton. If Tyson Ross is the best return we are looking at, then I'd rather wait and see what we can get for him at the deadline or just take the pick.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-16-2014), Hawk (12-15-2014), JohnAdcox (12-17-2014)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't agree with that statement at all, at least in terms of single season performance. The biggest outcome is determined by the players on the field. GMs and managers control which group of players and where/when they play, but in the end it's all up to the players to perform in any given season. Now as far as the amount of success over multiple seasons, yes I would lay that at the feet of GM/Manager.

The manager chooses who plays on the field. if a player is doing poorly the manager is the one who should bench him

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    I hate this kind of statement. Just because we weren't the best team in baseball doesn't mean we as fans aren't justified in our outrage of dismantling our best chance to compete? It's stupid and I hope his snark approach to dismantling the team is rewarded by fans not showing up to games and we become the Marlins. Seriously how absurd is it that we aren't ponying up to keep our position players who're good, then to add insult to injury we trade Jason Heyward our best or second best position player and add pitching, something we are good at developing. It's sad, but Oh well we have to live with this bunch for a bit, maybe Freddie will get even better and pickup the slack we lost by losing Jason and will lose by losing Gattis or Justin. All we can hope for really.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (12-16-2014), goldfly (12-16-2014), holden (12-16-2014), jpx7 (12-16-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I hate this kind of statement. Just because we weren't the best team in baseball doesn't mean we as fans aren't justified in our outrage of dismantling our best chance to compete? It's stupid and I hope his snark approach to dismantling the team is rewarded by fans not showing up to games and we become the Marlins. Seriously how absurd is it that we aren't ponying up to keep our position players who're good, then to add insult to injury we trade Jason Heyward our best or second best position player and add pitching, something we are good at developing. It's sad, but Oh well we have to live with this bunch for a bit, maybe Freddie will get even better and pickup the slack we lost by losing Jason and will lose by losing Gattis or Justin. All we can hope for really.
    It's frightenly dumb. Plan makes no sense. We will be much, much worse next year than we were last.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I hate this kind of statement. Just because we weren't the best team in baseball doesn't mean we as fans aren't justified in our outrage of dismantling our best chance to compete? It's stupid and I hope his snark approach to dismantling the team is rewarded by fans not showing up to games and we become the Marlins.
    And that's my problem with respect to Hart's It’s not like I’m breaking up the ’27 Yankees comment: whether you agree with him or not that the roster at the end of 2014 wasn't very good, couldn't compete in 2015, et cetera, the manner in which he's attempting to self-justify or self-defend himself is pretty damn condescending and dickish.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

BremanFan88 (12-16-2014), goldfly (12-16-2014), holden (12-16-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    The manager chooses who plays on the field. if a player is doing poorly the manager is the one who should bench him
    Sure, but again, its up to the players to perform. And it isn't only hitter was the problem this yr. Several hitters underperformed. It's a combination of GM for choosing the players, Manager for choosing the starting lineups, and the players performance. But the players' performance is the most critical aspect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    You guys have attached way too much meaning to one parenthetical, though colorful, remark pulled out of a boilerplate interview. It stung a little but he aint wrong. He traded away our beloved, underachieving gold glover and soon to be free agent but has already replaced him, perhaps with an upgrade. He's added to the bench and continues to pursue starting pitching, which we know you can't have too much of. It's way too early to think you know enough to say he's making bad moves.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

ChapelHillMatt (12-17-2014), rico43 (12-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You guys have attached way too much meaning to one parenthetical, though colorful, remark pulled out of a boilerplate interview. It stung a little but he aint wrong. He traded away our beloved, underachieving gold glover and soon to be free agent but has already replaced him, perhaps with an upgrade. He's added to the bench and continues to pursue starting pitching, which we know you can't have too much of. It's way too early to think you know enough to say he's making bad moves.
    1. Doesn't matter.
    2. lmao

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Extremism is polluting this thread.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-17-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    He traded away our beloved, underachieving gold glover and soon to be free agent but has already replaced him, perhaps with an upgrade.
    There are people that actually believe this. How uninformed can people possibly be? Good lord that's embarrassing.
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    He traded away our beloved, underachieving gold glover and soon to be free agent but has already replaced him, perhaps with an upgrade.
    This last part reminds me of this saying: "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!"