Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Objectively ranking the top farm systems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    To me that's a ridiculous statement - without the Stewart trade the Braves would STILL have rebuilt their farm system into a top-5ish group, Albies would likely slot into SS, Mallex (who you REALLY LIKE) would be in CF instead of Inciarte and we still could have flipped Shelby for a valuable piece, not as good as Swanson/Inciarte, but with his contract, the year he was coming off and stuff - he still could have fetched something pretty strong.

So you'd still have a very strong farm system, Albies at SS, TD slotting in at 2B hopefully in a couple years and Mallex in center with Shelby still in the fold to flip. How is that on the verge of failing the rebuild?

BTW, without Coppy - the Braves wouldn't have ripped off Dave Stewart, any team in baseball could have traded with the Diamondbacks and ripped them off, but only Coppy did it.
    Agreed. The D-Backs deal helped a great deal but there is still a lot of talent in this organization.

If not for the trade then the Bravse would have had a 3-5 year rebuild just like every organization that goes through it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    To me that's a ridiculous statement - without the Stewart trade the Braves would STILL have rebuilt their farm system into a top-5ish group, Albies would likely slot into SS, Mallex (who you REALLY LIKE) would be in CF instead of Inciarte and we still could have flipped Shelby for a valuable piece, not as good as Swanson/Inciarte, but with his contract, the year he was coming off and stuff - he still could have fetched something pretty strong.

So you'd still have a very strong farm system, Albies at SS, TD slotting in at 2B hopefully in a couple years and Mallex in center with Shelby still in the fold to flip. How is that on the verge of failing the rebuild?

BTW, without Coppy - the Braves wouldn't have ripped off Dave Stewart, any team in baseball could have traded with the Diamondbacks and ripped them off, but only Coppy did it.
    Only one person was in the right place at the right time, so you are correct. Just like when your bored friend goes all in during poker night so he can leave. Whoever won that hand isn't a good poker player. They were just the guy who happened to pay the big blind that particular hand so saw the hand all the way through.

Any story you read about the trade talks about Stewart being an idiot. None of them laud Coppy for being a genius. The only folks that think it was Coppy's doing are Braves fans that want to pump up their GM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Certainly the Swanson trade was the pivotal moment in the rebuild, acquiring two legit positional players in one action was a coup; not arguing that.

But Shelby Miller was the big piece used to acquire Jason Heyward, Shelby Miller was then used to acquire Swanson/Inciarte.

My point is, he was a very valuable piece and if we hadn't traded him to the DBacks we likely would have flipped him somewhere else for a strong package, and we already had in house options for SS/CF.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Only one person was in the right place at the right time, so you are correct. Just like when your bored friend goes all in during poker night so he can leave. Whoever won that hand isn't a good poker player. They were just the guy who happened to pay the big blind that particular hand so saw the hand all the way through.

Any story you read about the trade talks about Stewart being an idiot. None of them laud Coppy for being a genius. The only folks that think it was Coppy's doing are Braves fans that want to pump up their GM.
    Sure.... MLB GMs are similar to a group of 5 drunk friends playing poker at night.

Its OK to give Coppy credit for doing what no other GM did. It really is OK.

Lots he's done that I didn't love, didn't like attaching BJ to Kimbrel, didn't like the Jackson trade, obviously the HO was a disaster.... but you gotta give the guy credit where its due.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Sure.... MLB GMs are similar to a group of 5 drunk friends playing poker at night.

Its OK to give Coppy credit for doing what no other GM did. It really is OK.

Lots he's done that I didn't love, didn't like attaching BJ to Kimbrel, didn't like the Jackson trade, obviously the HO was a disaster.... but you gotta give the guy credit where its due.
    Coppy certainly deserves some of the credit for landing Inciarte and Swanson. And you are also correct when you assert the Braves would have a Top 5 system with a Mallex/Albies/Jace young core even if Stewart had never been given a GM job.

You just described a very average, or slightly below average rebuild. That's what I claim Coppy to be...and average GM that has done an average job rebuilding the Braves. He lucked into Swanson and Inciarte, but that doesn't make him any better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Coppy certainly deserves some of the credit for landing Inciarte and Swanson. And you are also correct when you assert the Braves would have a Top 5 system with a Mallex/Albies/Jace young core even if Stewart had never been given a GM job.

You just described a very average, or slightly below average rebuild. That's what I claim Coppy to be...and average GM that has done an average job rebuilding the Braves. He lucked into Swanson and Inciarte, but that doesn't make him any better.
    He was fortunate to get both but he would have at least got one of those for Shelby from most other GM's.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    sometimes a GM's worth is what he doesn't do in addition to what he does.

I really think grading Coppy after 2 seasons is ignorant.. but what else are we to do.. I wouldn't give him anything below a B personal. Not trading FF and JT at obviously lower points last season was brilliant. Holding out on Shelby to be in position to take the drunk guys money was also brilliant. It is dumb to look at things in such a vacuum, but again, what else are we to do....

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I would work on it later but since I didn't come up with WAR or surplus value myself I don't think it would be worth talking about.
    If either you or nscapi wanted to make a new thread for it, I think it would be pretty cool (obviously only if you have extra time for calculating fun stats). I'm bad at this stuff or I would do it.

Still might give it a shot by the end of the week if neither of you guys get a chance because I think it's an interesting exercise.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura's Stolen Bases View Post
    If either you or nscapi wanted to make a new thread for it, I think it would be pretty cool (obviously only if you have extra time for calculating fun stats). I'm bad at this stuff or I would do it.

Still might give it a shot by the end of the week if neither of you guys get a chance because I think it's an interesting exercise.
    If someone is willing to break down the various trades of the 3 teams the last couple of years I will work on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts

the angle I would suggest is what did we and the white Sox give in the way of major league talent...the expected surplus value of those players for their remaining years of contractual control...you have to go back and make the evaluation as of when each player was traded...good luck and have fun

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the angle I would suggest is what did we and the white Sox give in the way of major league talent...the expected surplus value of those players for their remaining years of contractual control...you have to go back and make the evaluation as of when each player was traded...good luck and have fun
    So to do this, I need to look up how much a win was worth 2 years ago, correct (or how many ever years it was when guys were traded)?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Projections are going to be the major sticking point. Nobody is going to agree on how to project these guys. We have many posters here who still want to rate players based on BA, RBIs and how much "protection" they give to other hitters.

And since Cajun doesn't really know what surplus value is, he will just pop in with a random, "but what's his surplus value" comments because he thinks he's being clever.

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Projections are going to be the major sticking point. Nobody is going to agree on how to project these guys. We have many posters here who still want to rate players based on BA, RBIs and how much "protection" they give to other hitters.

And since Cajun doesn't really know what surplus value is, he will just pop in with a random, "but what's his surplus value" comments because he thinks he's being clever.
    Yeah. I'd probably have to go on Baseball America rankings alone at the time or something to make it feasible.

I'll just do a bad job this weekend and let you guys correct my methodology, haha.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    So to do this, I need to look up how much a win was worth 2 years ago, correct (or how many ever years it was when guys were traded)?
    Pretty much. Also pointofpittsburgh somewhere has the surplus value of a prospect in 2015 and 2016. Their 2017 update should be coming up soon. To be totally fair we would need that update (or someone do one for 2017) to get the most accurate information available. Same goes for the farm system rankings based on surplus value as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    You could simplify your life by working with wins rather than the dollar value of wins. You need to project (be brave) how many wins Sale and Eaton are expected to generate for the remaining years of their contracts. And compare that with the expected wins before free agency of the guys the Braves traded during the rebuild (Heyward, Justin, Gattis, Kimbrel, Simmons). Just getting those two numbers would be a significant contribution to the discussion.

After that we can adjust for salaries. One step at a time. It will be less daunting that way.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    I was really, truly, trying to start an intelligent conversation. Unfortunately, the usual suspects turned it into a silly argument over a point that isn't even germane to the topic.
    The first sentence coming from you is what is silly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    You could simplify your life by working with wins rather than the dollar value of wins. You need to project (be brave) how many wins Sale and Eaton are expected to generate for the remaining years of their contracts. And compare that with the expected wins before free agency of the guys the Braves traded during the rebuild (Heyward, Justin, Gattis, Kimbrel, Simmons). Just getting those two numbers would be a significant contribution to the discussion.

After that we can adjust for salaries. One step at a time. It will be less daunting that way.
    That's relatively simple. Based on BR, I would say the following could be expected:

Heyward: 1 year, 6 WAR, $7.8 million due
    Upton: 1 year, 3 WAR, $14.5 million due
    Kimbrel: 4 years, 10 WAR, $46.5 million due
    Simmons: 5 years, 20 WAR, $53 million due

Sale: 3 years, 15-20 WAR, $38 million due
    Eaton: 5 years, 20-25 WAR, $29 million due

So in raw numbers, you're looking at a projection from the Braves' side of about 39 WAR at a cost of $121.8 million. On the White Sox' side, you're looking at a projection of about 35-45 WAR at a cost of $67 million.

So in raw numbers, the White Sox were looking at quite a bit more value they were trading; roughly the same value in wins at just over half the cost. And if you consider that it's likely more valuable to get the same WAR out of fewer players, the White Sox were working with even more value there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    and Gattis?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    The first sentence coming from you is what is silly.
    Excellent insightful contribution, as always. Thank you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It's going to be a lot tougher to determine a good projection for Gattis.