Page 12 of 75 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Viz and Teheran listed as top trade candidates

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    With these teams coming out saying they're not going to trade their best prospects, I'm leaning more towards keeping Julio and seeing how the offseason plays out as well as the development of our other arms. I do think it's time to trade Viz though. Flip him now and put Johnson and Ogando back there and see if one can get hot and be marketed as a back of the pen guy before the deadline. After August 1st, make the pen a tryout and run every young arm we can through there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    With these teams coming out saying they're not going to trade their best prospects, I'm leaning more towards keeping Julio and seeing how the offseason plays out as well as the development of our other arms. I do think it's time to trade Viz though. Flip him now and put Johnson and Ogando back there and see if one can get hot and be marketed as a back of the pen guy before the deadline. After August 1st, make the pen a tryout and run every young arm we can through there.
    I completely understand the idea of keeping your best prospects, but you'd think these teams would actually go "all in" at some point. You can't expect to coast, you need every piece possible and I truly feel like Teheran and/or Viz is incredibly useful. Teams may not agree, but they're yuge.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Please to tell me what current 26 year old or younger players are future first ballot hall of famers? A lot of players have a few great years. Very few do it for 10+ years. There was no way to tell which one Maddux was in 92. If you want to make that case after 93 when he wins his second straight cy young then I could agree. Maddux hadn't even had his peak yet. To say a player is a no doubt future hall of famer before he even had his peak is absurd. Reminds me of Mets fans saying Chipper Jones was the floor for David Wright because he had a few elite hitting years early in his career.
    HOF ability as in he was already performing at an HOF level. Which a lot of players do but few stay at the level for their careers. However that hasn't stopped said players to get paid big bucks whether they fall off or not. It happened then and it happens today. And Maddux was highly sought after at the #1 pitcher on the market. The point was comparing Julio to Maddux through age 25 and saying they are legit comps. That is certainly not the case. Maddux was already one of the best pitchers in baseball. Julio is not.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Mike Trout

Kershaw is 28 but you have to think he's a shoe in even if he stopped pitching after this year.

Harper headed thay way.
    I agree those guys are headed that way, but so was Dale Murphy at around the same age when his performance shot up after a slow start to his big league career. HOF entrance is generally going to require longevity. There are some notable exceptions like Sandy Koufax, but he was simply so dominant during his peak years that he clearly merited going into the HOF. I don't think Maddux was a sure thing when he came over to the Braves, but he was a no-brainer for best arm available when he became eligible for free agency and was a solid bet for whoever signed him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-23-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I completely understand the idea of keeping your best prospects, but you'd think these teams would actually go "all in" at some point.
    The Blue Jays went all in last season. Their GM at the time is no longer their GM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The Blue Jays went all in last season. Their GM at the time is no longer their GM.
    Padres did too.. however, Kimbrell saved his butt..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And of course there is Dave Stewart.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    And of course there is Dave Stewart.
    that is playing out still.. if they win the series.. then that trade looks better some how

not saying it will happen.. .but

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    that is playing out still.. if they win the series.. then that trade looks better some how

not saying it will happen.. .but
    they could also pass us up in the race for a high draft pick...

not saying it will happen...but

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (06-23-2016), CJ9 (06-23-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Curious to see what Preller does this year. He has some parts to sell (and has already sold Shields). Myers will be in demand, but I imagine they keep him and try to move some other guys (Melvin Jr., Solarte, Jay, Kemp, Cashner, Rodney).

PS--Stewart has to be on the hot seat and if the D-backs continue to flounder, he'll be out. Makes Frank Wren look like Albert Einstein.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Several teams are apparently interest in Bud.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    If Bud can keep throwing it up there in the low-90s consistently, I think there will be a market for him. I don't see a huge return, but there are a lot of mid-level pitchers out there that may interest a contender. I think the plus for Norris is that he showed he can pitch out of the bullpen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Curious to see what Preller does this year. He has some parts to sell (and has already sold Shields). Myers will be in demand, but I imagine they keep him and try to move some other guys (Melvin Jr., Solarte, Jay, Kemp, Cashner, Rodney).
    I'm sure Kemp could be had for a song. The Dodgers are already paying part of his salary. The Pods would probably be willing to pick up part of what remains to get a half-decent prospect. I think Kemp makes some sense for us as part of a four-man outfield rotation, especially since we are currently so lefty heavy there.

As a general strategy, we should be looking at other guys whose contracts means they don't have much surplus value. McCann and Headley come to mind.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    they could also pass us up in the race for a high draft pick...

not saying it will happen...but
    I think your scenario has a better shot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    What could we hope to get for Norris? Love to turn him into something useful, but it is not likely that the return will move the needle much.
    Norris, Viz, Markakis, and cash to the Rangers for a deal headlined by Brinson.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Please to tell me what current 26 year old or younger players are future first ballot hall of famers? A lot of players have a few great years. Very few do it for 10+ years. There was no way to tell which one Maddux was in 92. If you want to make that case after 93 when he wins his second straight cy young then I could agree. Maddux hadn't even had his peak yet. To say a player is a no doubt future hall of famer before he even had his peak is absurd. Reminds me of Mets fans saying Chipper Jones was the floor for David Wright because he had a few elite hitting years early in his career.
    He said he had HOF ability already before he came to the Braves. That isn't the same as saying people thought he was a slam dunk for the HOF. I think its clear to see that Madison Bumgarner (who is 26) has HOF ability, but whether or not he gets there obviously remains to be seen.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I like the idea of packaging Norris and Vizcaino. That was supposedly was the plan with Grilli and Johnson last year before Grilli got hurt.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    From Heyman's latest:

-Heyman did eight trades he thinks work, and he came up with this: 8. Arodys Vizcaino and Alexi Ogando to the Cubs for Jorge Soler, 1B Dan Vogelbach and 3B Jeimer Candelario. The Cubs are said to want to hold onto their very top prospects, so that would make Miller and Chapman tough for them. The talented Vizcaino, briefly a Cub, has put together a few very nice months in Atlanta. The Braves would have to spin Vogelbach to an A.L. club.

-His Braves notes: Vizcaino is drawing intense interest, probably the most interest of any Braves player … One reason the Braves don’t want to trade Julio Teheran is that they don’t really have an alternative to start Opening Day in their new park next year, and next winter’s free agency won’t bring anyone on that level. Teheran, however, would bring a haul … Bud Norris has been drawing some interest, including from the rival Marlins … Since the Braves have over-slot deals with their second and third picks, high school pitchers Joey Wentz and Kyle Muller, it is a good thing they are about to sign No. 3 overall pick Ian Anderson, for about $4 million as was reported here this week, soon after he graduates from high school this week … The Braves made off with quite a haul in the draft, thanks in part to their trades for two additional picks. They were the only team to trade for draft choices. Very smart for a rebuilding team. Their stash of pitchers is officially amazing at this point.

-Arodys Vicaino, a younger pitcher also having a dominating season, may be a bigger target for Texas, but the Braves are asking for a “(Ken) Giles-type return.”

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/ins...ade-scenarios/

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    From Heyman's latest:

-Heyman did eight trades he thinks work, and he came up with this: 8. Arodys Vizcaino and Alexi Ogando to the Cubs for Jorge Soler, 1B Dan Vogelbach and 3B Jeimer Candelario. The Cubs are said to want to hold onto their very top prospects, so that would make Miller and Chapman tough for them. The talented Vizcaino, briefly a Cub, has put together a few very nice months in Atlanta. The Braves would have to spin Vogelbach to an A.L. club.

-His Braves notes: Vizcaino is drawing intense interest, probably the most interest of any Braves player … One reason the Braves don’t want to trade Julio Teheran is that they don’t really have an alternative to start Opening Day in their new park next year, and next winter’s free agency won’t bring anyone on that level. Teheran, however, would bring a haul … Bud Norris has been drawing some interest, including from the rival Marlins … Since the Braves have over-slot deals with their second and third picks, high school pitchers Joey Wentz and Kyle Muller, it is a good thing they are about to sign No. 3 overall pick Ian Anderson, for about $4 million as was reported here this week, soon after he graduates from high school this week … The Braves made off with quite a haul in the draft, thanks in part to their trades for two additional picks. They were the only team to trade for draft choices. Very smart for a rebuilding team. Their stash of pitchers is officially amazing at this point.

-Arodys Vicaino, a younger pitcher also having a dominating season, may be a bigger target for Texas, but the Braves are asking for a “(Ken) Giles-type return.”

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/ins...ade-scenarios/
    If the Braves are making decisions based on an opening day starter next year, then I officially give up on them.

I don't think they actually are though. Surely, that is just writer speculation

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Pugfan (06-23-2016)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    If the Braves are making decisions based on an opening day starter next year, then I officially give up on them.

I don't think they actually are though. Surely, that is just writer speculation
    It's not just that but the FA pitchers headlining the offseason is putrid. Julio is not. I don't want the foul stench of veteran 5th starters to stink up the new stadium. Come high or don't come at all for Julio!