Thread: DOTW 4/24/'14: Decision Time For the Pitching Staff

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I want to keep Wood in the rotation. When Minor comes back, skip Wood and skip Julio to give them extra rest and limit their innings. There's no way we should be wasting Wood in the bullpen... I'd take Wood over any of our other starts to match up with another team's ace right now. That includes Julio and Ervin.

Trade Floyd or Hale for a bullpen arm, bring Minor back in, run Harang out there until he can't go anymore, and keep Wood in the rotation.

Wood
    Teheran
    Minor
    Santana
    Harang
    Hale/Floyd
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I wouldn't want to trade any of this depth honestly. I think we can find a way to get Wood or Teheran on the DL for a couple of weeks in June/July. Then let the depth sort itself out. I think Hale is being slightly underrated right now.

This article from fangraphs shows that Hale could be in line for a solid improvement:

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/pot...-rate-surgers/
    Natural Immunity Croc

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-24-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I like Hale. Problem is there wouldn't be room for him in the rotation... unless you trade Floyd to somebody.

Minor
    Wood
    Teheran
    Santana
    Harang
    Hale

You have three young guys who you don't want their innings to go up in Julio, Alex, Hale. Or in Floyd's case, he can be eased back into the rotation instead of going every 5th day.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I would put Hale in the pen for the remainder of the year. I just don't want to trade him. Not because I think he is going to be great but I just believe his value for the Braves is greater than his value in a trade.
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-24-2014)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    We have guys rising up the ranks again. Our organization has never been afraid to ask a kid to start straight from AA to MLB.

Our biggest need long term this season is bullpen. Avilan is not going to replicate the same amazing year he had last year. Thomas is still new to the league, Carpenter I don't trust, Venters you don't know what he's gonna bring having not pitched regularly since 2012. VarvarLOL, and then Walden is the other guy besides CK that I want out there in a close game.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Well thats why I would like Hale in the pen. For hte most part he is a two pitch pitcher anyway and if he can raise his velocity another 2 MPH he could be an effective man out there. He was originally drafted as a reliever so it might have been his destiny anyway.

I have been more optimistic lately on Carpenter. he still has great stuff so I don't think he did last year with smoke and mirrors.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Here's the staff I want at the end of the season:

Rotation: Santana, Floyd, Minor, Teheran, Wood

Pen: Kimbrel, Walden, Carpenter, Hale, Venters, Avilan, Thomas

But it is a long season and I would rather hold on to the others we have than trade them. Each has a contribution to make. Here's how I see their roles on a case-by-case basis:

Harang: Should have two or three more starts until Minor and Floyd return. When they do we can stash him in the pen for a couple weeks. Eventually return him to the rotation for a month and put Wood in the pen to control his innings count.

Varvaro: Hold on to him at least until Venters returns.

Schlosser: Send to the minors when Minor returns. Have him pitch in the AAA rotation afterwards. Will be an option for both the rotation and pen if a need arises.

Martin: Pitching very well in the AAA rotation. Will be an option for both the rotation and pen.

Obispo: Pitching well in the AAA pen. Another right handed option.

Buchter: Off to an inconsistent start in the AAA pen. We are not as deep from the left side, which means he could come into play later this year.

Hale: I want him as part of the pen at the end of the season. When Minor comes back he should go to the pen. When Floyd comes back, I would send him to AAA and have him pitch in the rotation, just so he can be an option there if needed.

Others such as Graham, Jaime, Vasquez, Simmons, Rodriguez, Maya could come into play, but they are behind the guys I listed above at the moment.

Our pitching depth is actually a strength. The pickups of Santana and Harang have worked out beyond what we could have hoped for and have really more than made up for the losses of Beachy, Medlen, Minor and Gearrin so far.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-24-2014 at 08:14 AM.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Harang has already stated his desire to not go to the bullpen. After the start he's has it'd be hard to ask him to move.

Because of Schlosser's 3/4 delivery I think he should just drop to submarine or sidearm and learn to be a roogy or the next Moylan.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Until a trade happens Harang isn't going anywhere.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Harang has already stated his desire to not go to the bullpen. After the start he's has it'd be hard to ask him to move.

Because of Schlosser's 3/4 delivery I think he should just drop to submarine or sidearm and learn to be a roogy or the next Moylan.
    Whatever Harang wants, I think the front office needs to make the decision based upon what is best for the team. No I in team. Though there is an m and an e.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Do you really think as of right now the best thing for the team is to take Harang out of the rotation?
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Nobody has considered it yet, but why not Floyd to the bullpen? I'm sure he wouldn't like it, but he could be a dynamite set up man.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Do you really think as of right now the best thing for the team is to take Harang out of the rotation?
    It wouldn't be the best thing but it wouldn't be the worst anyways. To the average fan sitting on their recliner watching the Braves they'll say WHAT A DUMB MOVE! FIRE WREN NOW!

To most of us here who know about Harang, we know it's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts. I've said for a few weeks now I'd rather trade Aaron now while his value is solid for a middle relief/set up guy to a team that needs a starter. Might seem like a crazy move to some, but if he hypothetically struggles for a few starts that diminishes his value and we're likely to only get an unproven bullpen pitcher or a slightly above average arm.

He seems like one of those guys if he struggles and we ask him to move to pen he'll ask for release hoping some other team will pick him up. That's why I'd rather trade him sooner while we have leverage.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Whatever Harang wants, I think the front office needs to make the decision based upon what is best for the team. No I in team. Though there is an m and an e.
    So do we wait on the inevitable and that's Harang becomes exposed to where we try to trade him but nobody bites knowing we have Minor and Floyd awaiting? Or do we act on it now and see if we can move him to a team that thinks they're still in contention this early on for a bullpen arm.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    It wouldn't be the best thing but it wouldn't be the worst anyways. To the average fan sitting on their recliner watching the Braves they'll say WHAT A DUMB MOVE! FIRE WREN NOW!

To most of us here who know about Harang, we know it's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts. I've said for a few weeks now I'd rather trade Aaron now while his value is solid for a middle relief/set up guy to a team that needs a starter. Might seem like a crazy move to some, but if he hypothetically struggles for a few starts that diminishes his value and we're likely to only get an unproven bullpen pitcher or a slightly above average arm.

He seems like one of those guys if he struggles and we ask him to move to pen he'll ask for release hoping some other team will pick him up. That's why I'd rather trade him sooner while we have leverage.
    I'm fine trading him now. I'm just saying until that trade happens I don't think you can take him out of the rotation. If someone offers us a good lefty reliever I'd be all for it. I know the bubble will burst sooner or later. But, until that trade happens I don't think oyu can take him out of the rotation.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    So do we wait on the inevitable and that's Harang becomes exposed to where we try to trade him but nobody bites knowing we have Minor and Floyd awaiting? Or do we act on it now and see if we can move him to a team that thinks they're still in contention this early on for a bullpen arm.
    I think our policy on all our players is to always listen when other teams express interest. And if the return justifies it we agree to a trade. That should be the same policy with Harang. No need to shop him. Other teams know we're going to have a spare starter pretty soon.

However, I don't think other GM's will be fooled by the pixie dust. I don't expect Harang to bring in much in return. Unless I'm wrong about that, I'd rather we just hold on to him. Pitching depth is a good thing to have.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    It's not about pitching depth, but weighing the potential of the team chemistry.

If Aaron is content on being a starter, then why not get a reliever for him? I'm not saying we're going to get a Jordan Walden type, but starting pitching is something everybody needs. Assuming none of our arms blow up from now to September, I don't see why we should keep him. He's a quiet dude so there's no rah rah leadership. He's pitching way above expectation and beyond his career peripherals.
    Forever Fredi

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Harang has not been getting by on smoke and mirrors. His K rate is incredible right now. His FIP and xFIP are very strong.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Harang has not been getting by on smoke and mirrors. His K rate is incredible right now. His FIP and xFIP are very strong.
    So what's the acceptable peripheral stats to where you'd be ok with keeping him. Baseball laws say he's not going to keep this up, so when he does come back to Earth what would be thee acceptable numbers you'd want from him to be on this team?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It's not about pitching depth, but weighing the potential of the team chemistry.

If Aaron is content on being a starter, then why not get a reliever for him? I'm not saying we're going to get a Jordan Walden type, but starting pitching is something everybody needs. Assuming none of our arms blow up from now to September, I don't see why we should keep him. He's a quiet dude so there's no rah rah leadership. He's pitching way above expectation and beyond his career peripherals.
    Even if Harang goes into a sulk, I don't think the effect on team chemistry is anything to worry about. I am concerned about whether he can be effective as a reliever, good attitude or not. But at some point we also will want to see about giving Wood a few starts off. And injuries happen. So any move to the pen for Harang is not a permanent thing. Unless the pixie dust wears off.