Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    IMO, our best options for 2b internally are:

1. TLS
    2. Uggla
    3. Pena
    4. Pastornicky
    I'd put Pena above Hoot until he proves he couldn't handle it. Just me personally.

Not calling up TLS late last year gives me the feeling that TLS doesn't have a whole lot of support in the FO. Maybe just some nonbelievers, or maybe just some folks that think his D wont cut it, but i feel like there is something there.
    Ivermectin Man

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I think it had more to do with narrowing it down to EJ and Uggla for postseason than giving TLS a chance in less than a month.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'd put Pena above Hoot until he proves he couldn't handle it. Just me personally.

Not calling up TLS late last year gives me the feeling that TLS doesn't have a whole lot of support in the FO. Maybe just some nonbelievers, or maybe just some folks that think his D wont cut it, but i feel like there is something there.
    It does surprise me how little Pena has played thus far. 19 March/April ABs this year after 43 last season.

Also agree on La Stella. Kid can obviously put the ball in play and his walk rate would likely be pretty good. Sometimes an organization makes a judgement on a guy they simply refuse to shake. Don't know if that has what has happened here or not.

Bottom line, I don't know how many times Fredi has had to go back to the hardware store to buy more rope for Uggla.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

I don't think there was anything like that going on. A guy who hasn't played above AA in the last part of a pennant race, seems more likely to me. Also, if they'll play Uggla at 2B, they'd play LaStella. I like to see guys regularly before making judgements, especially about defense, but my sense is that LaStella is OK.

They have had 26 million reasons to stick with Uggla, but it's nearing time to make a move. He needs dramatic improvement in the next month.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

yeezus (04-28-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    We ALL knew Uggla was going to get about 5-6 weeks as one last chance to prove himself. That time period is almost up, and he has proven that he doesn't belong on a WS caliber starting lineup.

The next step will be some 3 headed platoon and Pena/Pastor/Uggla at 2B for a month or so. When/if that doesn't work out, expect to see TLS given a shot around the middle/end of June. When/if that doesn't work out, expect to see Wren working the trade market for an average MLB quality guy to play 2B.

There is most likely very little cash available due to the Santana signing, so look for Wren to give up a better package to get the other team to eat most of the new guy's salary.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We ALL knew Uggla was going to get about 5-6 weeks as one last chance to prove himself. That time period is almost up, and he has proven that he doesn't belong on a WS caliber starting lineup.

The next step will be some 3 headed platoon and Pena/Pastor/Uggla at 2B for a month or so. When/if that doesn't work out, expect to see TLS given a shot around the middle/end of June. When/if that doesn't work out, expect to see Wren working the trade market for an average MLB quality guy to play 2B.

There is most likely very little cash available due to the Santana signing, so look for Wren to give up a better package to get the other team to eat most of the new guy's salary.
    That's the logic of the situation. La Stella's performance in AAA has increased my optimism that an internal solution can be found. Things would have to be pretty dire for Wren to look for an external upgrade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Ideally, TLS can post a .350 OBP at the MLB level and the lineup by June can be:

TLS
    JUP
    Freeman
    Gattis
    Heyward
    Simmons
    CJ
    BJ

Until then, we are stuck watching 2 guys with sub-300 OBPs hitting in front of 2 MVP candidates and a catcher who is on pace to hit 40 bombs.

The heart of the lineup should very obviously be JUp/Freeman/Gattis (in that order), but SOMEONE has to hit leadoff, and right now the next highest OBP is Simmons at like .307. Not exactly the stuff WS championship offenses are made of...
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-28-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Ideally, TLS can post a .350 OBP at the MLB level and the lineup by June can be:

TLS
    JUP
    Freeman
    Gattis
    Heyward
    Simmons
    CJ
    BJ

Until then, we are stuck watching 2 guys with sub-300 OBPs hitting in front of 2 MVP candidates and a catcher who is on pace to hit 40 bombs.

The heart of the lineup should very obviously be JUp/Freeman/Gattis (in that order), but SOMEONE has to hit leadoff, and right now the next highest OBP is Simmons at like .307. Not exactly the stuff WS championship offenses are made of...
    The batting order issues will sort themselves out. But we can't carry two guys (Uggla and BJ) with sub .600 OPS even if they were hitting 7th and 8th. No matter how good the rest of the lineup and the pitching is. I know Heyward is also sub .600 OPS too at the moment, but I'm much less concerned about him, for reasons that I hope are obvious.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-28-2014), jpx7 (04-28-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It does surprise me how little Pena has played thus far. 19 March/April ABs this year after 43 last season.

Bottom line, I don't know how many times Fredi has had to go back to the hardware store to buy more rope for Uggla.
    Surprises me too! Any reports on his health?

Hardware store ------ yeah, nice

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Tell you guys one thing - when the starting pitching starts to come back a little closer to earth, there will be a more pressing need for the offense to carry more of its share of the load. If Heyward doesn't start at least hitting his weight, then the situation will be more pronounced. The reason that he's given a free pass around here for poor performance at the plate is that he doesn't make Uggla & BJ money.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Surprises me too! Any reports on his health?

Hardware store ------ yeah, nice
    It shouldn't be surprising, Pena only started 6 games at 2B last year, with 5 and 7 at 3B and SS respectively. This year he has 2 starts at 3B and 2 at SS. 2B is only part of the problem but he's playing less at 3B and SS as well.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Tell you guys one thing - when the starting pitching starts to come back a little closer to earth, there will be a more pressing need for the offense to carry more of its share of the load. If Heyward doesn't start at least hitting his weight, then the situation will be more pronounced. The reason that he's given a free pass around here for poor performance at the plate is that he doesn't make Uggla & BJ money.
    I'll say it again, that I'm only agitated at Uggla because of his defense. If he was hitting homeruns and walking at a good rate like before, I wouldn't be upset with him. But his defense has nearly cost us some wins and cost our pitching to have to face extra batters and blow leads.

Upton is going to be solid defensively as is Heyward. If Upton hits singles the rest of the season, I wouldn't be thrilled but I'd be meh. It'd be better than trotting Schafer out there IMO. We're stuck with BJ 3 more years, Uggla 1. Give BJ more time to sort it out, Uggla out.
    Forever Fredi

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-29-2014), jpx7 (04-29-2014)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Every 2 weeks that passes reduces the commitment to Uggla by close to a miillon dollars.
    I'm not sure what this means. They owe what they owe, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I'd love to see Tommy get called up, but we know Uggs will get all the chances in the world to "turn it around" even though he's really been trying to do just that for 3 years. Tommy will get a chance if uggla keeps struggling, it just might be a little later than we'd all like. If he was walking more and playing passable defense it'd be different, but it's been all bad this year so far.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tomahawkchop10 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-29-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    It shouldn't be surprising, Pena only started 6 games at 2B last year, with 5 and 7 at 3B and SS respectively. This year he has 2 starts at 3B and 2 at SS. 2B is only part of the problem but he's playing less at 3B and SS as well.
    I think that's the point. He had 43 PAs last season at this point and he only has 19 this season. He caddied for Johnson quite a bit to start last season and he's not doing that either. Bench hasn't played a lot. Laird and Doumit spelling Gattis (with Doumit getting some time in the OF), but that's about it.

All I'm saying is that with Uggla playing so poorly, I'm a bit surprised that Fredi hasn't run someone else out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Fredi is usually pretty good at getting his bench guys enough games to stay sharp. For some reason he has gotten away from that so far this year. I suspect the reason is that he wants to create as much of a psychologically positive environment as possible for the guys who have been struggling. The fact that the team is doing well has also made it easier to invest in those fragile psyches.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Fredi is usually pretty good at getting his bench guys enough games to stay sharp. For some reason he has gotten away from that so far this year. I suspect the reason is that he wants to create as much of a psychologically positive environment as possible for the guys who have been struggling. The fact that the team is doing well has also made it easier to invest in those fragile psyches.
    That isn't true, actually. He has always had trouble managing the bench and bullpen. Just look at the numbers.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-29-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    That isn't true, actually. He has always had trouble managing the bench and bullpen. Just look at the numbers.
    He seemed to shuffle guys in and out a lot more last season. It seemed that Pena was either starting or in the game as a late-inning defensive replacement a ton early last season. I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    I agree with respect to the pen. I think he does fine with the bench.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree with respect to the pen. I think he does fine with the bench.
    Yeah, me too. I don't mean to argue; I'm genuinely curious. To which bench numbers are you referring? (I hear you about the 'pen.)

JA