Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: GDT #25, 2/29/'14: Braves (Wood) vs. Marlins (Fernandez)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Just checking in. We did good tonight right?
    By 1989 standards, it was damn near playoff worthy. And I'm not even talking about Fernandez.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (04-29-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I'm utterly surprised we played like we did against the Marlins tonight. I didn't see the game, but I heard that Doumit was awful in the field and Alex just didn't bring it at all. Anything else I could get from a loss like this? Well, and Fernandez is the man.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'm utterly surprised we played like we did against the Marlins tonight. I didn't see the game, but I heard that Doumit was awful in the field and Alex just didn't bring it at all. Anything else I could get from a loss like this? Well, and Fernandez is the man.
    We got our tails kicked by arguably the best pitcher in the game.

Games like this happen to all teams.

Move on.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    If there are no objections..I will make the GDT for tomorrow.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (04-30-2014)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Worst game of the year. Ridiculous managing.
    /eye roll

Something tells me at 9-0 the players have something to do with it. I thought it was creative; worth a shot. Pretty sure Alex Wood gave up 7 and Fernandez was ice.

Maybe the next time we face Fernandez you should manage the club, Dalyn. How do you think you'll do?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Marlins arent that bad.
    Yeah, I'm impressed with their pitching. Not enough offense yet to make a run, but they're on track.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    /eye roll

Something tells me at 9-0 the players have something to do with it. I thought it was creative; worth a shot. Pretty sure Alex Wood gave up 7 and Fernandez was ice.

Maybe the next time we face Fernandez you should manage the club, Dalyn. How do you think you'll do?
    Confidence is a huge part of the game. How do you think Wood felt (after two straight 1-0 games) when he saw the lineup? It isn't a coincidence he had such a bad start.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-30-2014), NinersSBChamps (04-30-2014)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Yeah, I'm impressed with their pitching. Not enough offense yet to make a run, but they're on track.
    You do know they have scored 28 more runs than we have this year right? The pitching that you are so impressed with has given up 35 more runs than the Braves have. So it is really the opposite of what you said for the fish. None of that is on Fernandez as he is a beast. He has given up earned runs in only 1 game this year. The Phillies roughed him up for 6 on April 11th. Since then he has given up 0 earned runs in 23 innings, 16 of those innings was against us.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I dislike Fredi as much as anyone on here but I do not blame him for this loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Their offense looks a bit better than I thought it would be. With the second wild card, I think they will be in contention. Wouldn't want to run into them in a five game series.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I didn't see the game, but having watched Doumit up here in Minnesota last season, I can assure you that this is s given.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Fernandez is someone we're going to have to deal with all year. In order to get better against him, you need to get more at bats against him. Instead of giving the Uptons 48 at bats against him, we give Schafer and Doumit those at bats. It's just dumb.

By the way, Justin was in a groove. Now he's had two days off.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Fernandez is someone we're going to have to deal with all year. In order to get better against him, you need to get more at bats against him. Instead of giving the Uptons 48 at bats against him, we give Schafer and Doumit those at bats. It's just dumb.

By the way, Justin was in a groove. Now he's had two days off.
    Care to quantify what it means for the team and Justin for him to:

1) Have four fewer AB's against Fernandez, and

2) Have 2 days off in a row rather than just 1

Just wondering how big an effect do you see those two factors having.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Care to quantify what it means for the team and Justin for him to:

1) Have four fewer AB's against Fernandez, and

2) Have 2 days off in a row rather than just 1

Just wondering how big an effect do you see those two factors having.
    I obviously can't quantify anything. My point is a hitter is likely to have more success the more he sees a pitcher. Do you disagree?

I was laughing at Chip last night when he said "The toughest thing for a pitcher to do is to face a team in back to back starts. I would imagine facing this lineup is even tougher than that!" Then Joe says "It's like he's facing a different team."

Exactly. If there is truth to the "tougher to face a team 2 straight starts," then Fredi basically took that advantage away from us.

Also, if you're Justin, BJ, CJ, and Uggla, doesn't a part of you get a little pissed off that your manager think Tyler Pastornicky has a better shot at performing than you agianst one of the game's best?

With regards to your second question, I think this is common sense. If a hitter is in a groove and is seeing the ball well, the last thing he wants is a day off, let alone two.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-30-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I obviously can't quantify anything. My point is a hitter is likely to have more success the more he sees a pitcher. Do you disagree?

I was laughing at Chip last night when he said "The toughest thing for a pitcher to do is to face a team in back to back starts. I would imagine facing this lineup is even tougher than that!" Then Joe says "It's like he's facing a different team."

Exactly. If there is truth to the "tougher to face a team 2 straight starts," then Fredi basically took that advantage away from us.

Also, if you're Justin, BJ, CJ, and Uggla, doesn't a part of you get a little pissed off that your manager think Tyler Pastornicky has a better shot at performing than you agianst one of the game's best?

With regards to your second question, I think this is common sense. If a hitter is in a groove and is seeing the ball well, the last thing he wants is a day off, let alone two.
    I agree that familiarity helps a hitter. But the effect is fairly small. And we don't even know when Justin will face him again. There is also a small positive effect to giving our bench guys a game. We are arguing about small effects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    The positive effect giving the bench a game against Jose Fernandez is that they can all go back to the bench with 0-fers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The positive effect giving the bench a game against Jose Fernandez is that they can all go back to the bench with 0-fers
    Whatever the result, I would argue four at bats against a major league pitcher is the same in terms of helping a bench hitter get a little sharper. As I said we are arguing about some pretty small effects here. That's really the only point I have to make as to the future consequences of the lineup choices made last night.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I didn't see the game, but having watched Doumit up here in Minnesota last season, I can assure you that this is s given.
    What is Doumit's virtue? He can't catch. He can't play the OF. He might be serviceable at 1B the 10 or so games Freddie might miss this season. The Braves are usually so adept at constructing their bench with an almost unexpected balance of defensive whizzes and potent bats, but Doumit stinks up the whole joint -- especially when you consider what they are paying him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What is Doumit's virtue? He can't catch. He can't play the OF. He might be serviceable at 1B the 10 or so games Freddie might miss this season. The Braves are usually so adept at constructing their bench with an almost unexpected balance of defensive whizzes and potent bats, but Doumit stinks up the whole joint -- especially when you consider what they are paying him.
    The rationale is he brings some power to our bench. Other considerations: he is a switch hitter, he can catch albeit badly, which allows use of Gattis as a pinch hitter when he is not in the lineup.

Terdoslavich provides all of the above except the catching part at lower cost. Plus he is more acceptable defensively in the outfield. But the Braves love having a couple vets on the bench. Doumit follows in the tradition of Hinske, Diaz, Reed Johnson, Ross, Laird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Bingo.

Don't really know what they were expecting Pena or Pastor to do vs this guy. Lol