Thread: We Finance Barbarism

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm just tapping the spirit of the thread
    And I'm not sure what you want of said thread.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Guys... let's not get personal here. Thanks for clearing up your positions, because you have to admit that initially you were defending the idea that selling body parts for profit or to put toward other costs was ok. Why not maybe work towards a compromise rather than insult those we disagree with? So we agree that Planned Parenthood was clearly in the wrong here?

I get the angst against me as I was intentionally trying to hit a nerve, but I think my post was successful in exposing the true position which most of you have, which is that planned parenthood messed up here. So maybe let's fix it rather than call those we disagree with idiots? Seems a bit sophomoric to me.
    I don't remember defending a damn thing. Ok, fine, you're not an idiot; you're a presumptuous ass.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    And I'm not sure what you want of said thread.
    Less yammering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Guys... let's not get personal here. Thanks for clearing up your positions, because you have to admit that initially you were defending the idea that selling body parts for profit or to put toward other costs was ok. Why not maybe work towards a compromise rather than insult those we disagree with? So we agree that Planned Parenthood was clearly in the wrong here?

I get the angst against me as I was intentionally trying to hit a nerve, but I think my post was successful in exposing the true position which most of you have, which is that planned parenthood messed up here. So maybe let's fix it rather than call those we disagree with idiots? Seems a bit sophomoric to me.
    I most certainly don't have to admit that, since I never said that. If by "hit a nerve" you mean misconstruing—intentionally or otherwise—what posters have written, then your post was a success.

Meanwhile: as I said before, Planned Parenthood definitely should have been obtaining consent before conveying fetal tissue to other entities, irrespective of whether such transactions included the exchange of monies. That's my biggest issue (—though obviously a non-profit entity shouldn't be generating profits; unfortunately, however, that's a massive problem across the spectrum of 501(c)(3) and similar organizations).

(As for the ad hominem stuff, I'll assume you aren't speaking to me, since I never attacked you.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Less yammering.
    Well the yammering bridges ideological divide, so I still refute your initial "brainwash" dig against those across the span from you.

Meanwhile, if you truly want less yammering, we could always talk more about how Planned Parenthood can remedy this specific issue (for instance, with waivers or opt-outs, as I suggested as quite necessary a whole three pages ago) instead of jumping straight to the I'm outraged; let's defund them* position that seems desideratum amongst those who already had beef with Planned Parenthood prior to this story.

* To be clear: While I wouldn't call myself "outraged," this imbroglio does cast a bit of a slimy pall, and at best seems pretty damn unwise for an organization that (though I think they mostly do important work) has to be ever-vigilant against giving their critics ammunition.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Well the yammering bridges ideological divide, so I still refute your initial "brainwash" dig against those across the span from you.

Meanwhile, if you truly want less yammering, we could always talk more about how Planned Parenthood can remedy this specific issue (for instance, with waivers or opt-outs, as I suggested as quite necessary a whole three pages ago) instead of jumping straight to the I'm outraged; let's defund them* position that seems desideratum amongst those who already had beef with Planned Parenthood prior to this story.

* To be clear: While I wouldn't call myself "outraged," this imbroglio does cast a bit of a slimy pall, and at best seems pretty damn unwise for an organization that (though I think they mostly do important work) has to be ever-vigilant against giving their critics ammunition.
    Nothing is being bridged here. This isn't about ideological gaps.

A start would be focusing on discussing the profitability aspect of the equation, which hasn't been addressed, aside from a cursory, 'Well everybody does it!'

Which a) isn't true and b) is irrelevant.

If y'all want to bitch on about liberal v. conservative, pro-life/pro-choice then, please, have at it -- but understand that it has little to do with the actual issue at play no matter how desperately you attempt to skirt it and cast worthless, typical, and yes, brainwashed, aspersions.
    Last edited by Hawk; 08-05-2015 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    there is no "profitability aspect."

That has been established by a panel commissioned by Indiana Governor Mike Pence (R)

http://fox59.com/2015/08/02/in-focus...ed-parenthood/

or are you agreeing with Sturg's inference - it is naive to think of money without profit or corruption
    Proof b damned
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-05-2015 at 07:20 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    I don't remember defending a damn thing. Ok, fine, you're not an idiot; you're a presumptuous ass.
    I've always found liberals to be very condescending, hateful, and presumptuous. I'd say west was a lot more respectful, per usual

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I've always found liberals to be very condescending, hateful, and presumptuous. I'd say west was a lot more respectful, per usual
    I've always found you to be boring.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    there is no "profitability aspect."

That has been established by a panel commissioned by Indiana Governor Mike Pence (R)

http://fox59.com/2015/08/02/in-focus...ed-parenthood/

or are you agreeing with Sturg's inference - it is naive to think of money without profit or corruption
    Proof b damned
    We've been through this.

1: Indiana
    2: Still not the point.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (08-05-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Nothing is being bridged here. This isn't about ideological gaps.
    Well "bridges [the] divide" might not have been the best phrase, as I meant only that no one "side" of this discussion is any more guilty of "yammering" than any other.

However, this is about ideological gaps, as much as you want to skirt that fact in favor of this monotone yammering about "profitability". Where one stood on Planned Parenthood before this revelation largely governs what one wants done about it. I don't think anyone who supports the overall mission and existence of Planned Parenthood would object to reforms with regards to how the organization deals with fetal tissues; meanwhile, those who reject the overall mission and decry the existence of Planned Parenthood do not seem as if they will be satisfied with any "reform" that isn't the total federal de-funding and effective obliteration of Planned Parenthood.

A start would be focusing on discussing the profitability aspect of the equation, which hasn't been addressed, aside from a cursory, 'Well everybody does it!'

Which a) isn't true and b) is irrelevant.
    Planned Parenthood claims what is being construed as "profit" is in fact cost-recovery. Whether one is inclined to believe that or not, it's clear they (a) need to be much more open in their accounting and (b) should also probably fashion out some procedures to donate (with patient consent) these fetal tissues in a manner that doesn't require their receiving any monies in exchange (whether it's truly for "cost-recovery," or "profit," or fuel for a Satanic bonfire). The latter is paramount especially because—as I said in the above post—Planned Parenthood is an institution that has to be very careful to avoid giving their critics any more ammunition, for better or worse, deserved or not, irrespective of the full explanation.

If y'all want to bitch on about liberal v. conservative, pro-life/pro-choice then, please, have at it -- but understand that it has little to do with the actual issue at play no matter how desperately you attempt to skirt it and cast worthless, typical, and yes, brainwashed, aspersions.
    Quite the holier-than-thou tone from you. Since you're responding to me, please tell me where I've "cast worthless, typical, and yes, brainwashed, aspersions". And while you're at it, you might deign to honor us with an elaboration of "the actual issue at play," beyond your abiding suspicion that the monies exchanged for fetal tissues have made a non-profit organization—or some employees or divisions of it—potentially, to some degree, profit-generating.
    Last edited by jpx7; 08-05-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I've always found liberals to be very condescending, hateful, and presumptuous.
    This is sadly true of people, regardless of their ideological leanings. No one tribe, worldview, or way-of-thinking has a monopoly on condescension, hate, or presumptuousness.

I'd say west was a lot more respectful, per usual
    For what it's worth—and speaking only for myself—I think was more generous in my response to [MENTION=2]weso1[/MENTION] than he was in putting words in my mouth.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I've always found you to be boring.
    good... better than to offend anyone

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Well "bridges [the] divide" might not have been the best phrase, as I meant only that no one "side" of this discussion is any more guilty of "yammering" than any other.

However, this is about ideological gaps, as much as you want to skirt that fact in favor of this monotone yammering about "profitability". Where one stood on Planned Parenthood before this revelation largely governs what one wants done about it. I don't think anyone who supports the overall mission and existence of Planned Parenthood would object to reforms with regards to how the organization deals with fetal tissues; meanwhile, those who reject the overall mission and decry the existence of Planned Parenthood do not seem as if they will be satisfied with any "reform" that isn't the total federal de-funding and effective obliteration of Planned Parenthood.

Planned Parenthood claims what is being construed as "profit" is in fact cost-recovery. Whether one is inclined to believe that or not, it's clear they (a) need to be much more open in their accounting and (b) should also probably fashion out some procedures to donate (with patient consent) these fetal tissues in a manner that doesn't require their receiving any monies in exchange (whether it's truly for "cost-recovery," or "profit," or fuel for a Satanic bonfire). The latter is paramount especially because—as I said in the above post—Planned Parenthood is an institution that has to be very careful to avoid giving their critics any more ammunition, for better or worse, deserved or not, irrespective of the full explanation.

Quite the holier-than-thou tone from you. Since you're responding to me, please tell me where I've "cast worthless, typical, and yes, brainwashed, aspersions". And while you're at it, you might deign to honor us with an elaboration of "the actual issue at play," beyond your abiding suspicion that the monies exchanged for fetal tissues have made a non-profit organization—or some employees or divisions of it—potentially, to some degree, profit-generating.
    I disagree. You've guided this thread in a partisan fashion since your original post, and despite your claims about preexisting belief systems, I think that's just a petty game (speaking of easy ways out).

Planned Parenthood is nothing more than a cause celebre for liberals and it really is hilarious to watch them line up and take a beating for it simply because they believe that somehow it generally aligns with their principals.

Keep on fighting that good fight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I disagree. You've guided this thread in a partisan fashion since your original post, and despite your claims about preexisting belief systems, I think that's just a petty game (speaking of easy ways out).

Planned Parenthood is nothing more than a cause celebre for liberals and it really is hilarious to watch them line up and take a beating for it simply because they believe that somehow it generally aligns with their principals.

Keep on fighting that good fight
    So you're essentially not responding to the content of my post, nor to any of the specific questions I've posed to you, nor are you making any substantive points otherwise? It'd be nice if you actually engaged with the topic a bit more, instead of sighing, condescending, and claiming everybody else is avoiding "the actual issue at play" while yourself refusing to elucidate said issue.

Keep on taking pointless, spurious pot-shots, I guess—though I personally think you're a better poster than that.
    Last edited by jpx7; 08-05-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    So you're essentially not responding to the content of my post, nor to any of the specific questions I've posed to you, nor are you making any substantive points otherwise? It'd be nice if you actually engaged with the topic a bit more, instead of sighing, condescending, and claiming everybody else is avoiding "the actual issue at play" while yourself refusing to elucidate said issue.

Keep on taking pointless, spurious pot-shots, I guess—though I personally think you're a better poster than that.
    I'm jetlagged, in Japan, and feel like I made my point pages ago (that was never addressed, and still hasn't been) so don't feel like rehashing it all over again.

I'll also add that I feel like we're well past the point of having any sort of meaningful discourse on the subject now that partisan hackery has been intentionally injected along with all the usual linkage and memes. It's just droll at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'm jetlagged, in Japan, and feel like I made my point pages ago (that was never addressed, and still hasn't been) so don't feel like rehashing it all over again.
    Well I've got the upper-hand in that regard, as I'm (a) on MST, so it's still early-evening; (b) well-rested, thanks an off-day from work; and (c) looking for distractions from this book of short-stories I'm supposed to get through, written by an author I don't particularly like (Junot Díaz), as opposed to being justifiably occupied by adventuring in the Orient.

---

Meanwhile, you say you've articulated your argument, but I re-read this entire thread, and the best I could find was the claim that "the monetized elements of the practice deserve stigmatization". That's a fair enough sentiment, but—even if I might be skeptical as to the motivations of many commenters doing that stigmatization (and I mean the outside world; I'll take posters in this thread at their word)—that's essentially the only point you've advanced.

You haven't said word one about what'd you'd like to see done after or beyond "stigmatization [of] the monetized elements of the practice". At least [MENTION=2]weso1[/MENTION] is willing to talk reforms, even if he personally (for more general moral reasons, I take it) wants to see Planned Parenthood ultimately federally defunded; and at least [MENTION=128]sturg33[/MENTION] reiterated the obvious, that he hasn't supported federal funding for Planned Parenthood, doesn't now, and never will, because that's not how he sees federal government ideally operating.

I'll also add that I feel like we're well past the point of having any sort of meaningful discourse on the subject now that partisan hackery has been intentionally injected along with all the usual linkage and memes. It's just droll at this stage.
    Where is this "partisan hackery" ruining the thread? And—since I'll assume, based on your recent comments, that you allege I'm the culpable party—where did I do it?

---

I genuinely like you as a poster, but you've taken an oddly petulant, combative, yet otherwise shallow-seeming posture in this thread—maligning most everybody else, and parading around this pretense that you're the only one really seeing through all the bull**** and talking about this topic on the real. (Indeed, you say you can't stand John Stewart because of his smarm, but you've been smarmy as hell in this thread.) And when I've asked what you want out of this discussion, you've answered "less yammering"; but, besides that desire, all I can conjure that you want is "more stigmatizing," which—deserved or not (and let's say deserved)—seems a pretty hollow end-game.

Then come these escalating digs at my "partisan pettiness," when I only entered this thread to voice a very specific personal skepticism (namely, a skepticism that the outraged included many folks who weren't already inalienably critical of Planned Parenthood's existence), and only stayed to elaborate (after being accused otherwise) that I did, in fact, have some misgivings about Planned Parenthood's handling of fetal tissues, and moreover thought that there were obvious organizational changes to be made (in spite of the organization's official protestations that the money is cost-recovery, and that the patients had been consulted about / had approved the "donations").

So I ask again—and feel free to only answer when you have the spare time and sufficient rest—where is this "partisan hackery" you've bemoaned the past several posts? Am I guilty of it merely because I support the existence and work of Planned Parenthood (which, I assure your, is not a "liberal cause célèbre" for me, at least, just an institution whose core mission I thoroughly support)? And is there a way for someone to be a valid discursive participant on this topic, in your eyes, outside of blanket concurrence with your position?

Because, hell, I explicitly "thanked" this post of yours, since I agreed ideological pot-shots weren't useful here; yet you seem to think I'm primarily responsible from taking this thread from "all the usual linkage and memes" to an irredeemable, beyond-the-pale nether-region absent any "meaningful discourse" and "well past the point" of utility.
    Last edited by jpx7; 08-05-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Not presumptuous, but probably an ass. One of the premises in regard to my original post you grumped about was based on the assumption that those screen names I mentioned in reality actually weren't for what I accused of defending (outside of maybe goldfly?). And it turns out that was true, and jpx and I wound up having a good conversation about ways to fix the problem after the air was cleared. And no jpx is not one of the folks I was grumping about in regards to personal attacks. I think we've reached a reasonable compromise.
    thank you weso1!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-06-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Look at ole sturg defending weso1. Thanks man. Although I'm not a direction. True story... my father in law still thinks my in real life name is West. Literally he writes the word West on everything he sends me. Not real sure how to tell him.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The hack job attacks on Planned Parenthood are just that. Hackjob attacks. Sad that people get suckered into this fight because of edited videos by a group who wants to take them down.

"Edited videos" - what a tired old lib talking point. They've been posting the full videos too. Bet you haven't watched them. The "edited videos" is one of the weirdest-lamest excuses/arguments of the PP defenders. Of course they are edited. It's the nature of the beast. That they also put out full versions shows how transparent they are.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

weso1 (08-05-2015)