Page 18 of 204 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Economics Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The rate is a low as it has ever been outside of after the housing market crashed in 2008. Only other time its been this low is after 9/11 for a few years. I just wanted to know what the goalposts are now. Lets see how things shake out in 2019. The stock market losing 20% in a little over a month is a very bad sign.
    Isn't the point that Obama benefitted from free money so that to pat him on the back for a growing market is a bit fleeting?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Also, as long as confidence doesn't spiral downward from the sell-off a low market is good for people below 50. We aren't retiring anytime soon and we can buy either within our 401k's or other investment vehicles at a lower price point.

There is also an economy completely outside the market but you don't seem to care about that. When was the last time there was this type of wage growth?
    Natural Immunity Croc

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Also, as long as confidence doesn't spiral downward from the sell-off a low market is good for people below 50. We aren't retiring anytime soon and we can buy either within our 401k's or other investment vehicles at a lower price point.

There is also an economy completely outside the market but you don't seem to care about that. When was the last time there was this type of wage growth?
    Good time to buy good stocks for cheap. If Apple surprises on feb 7, the market will take off like a rocket

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I am not here to defend Obama or his economic policies. He took over a very bad economy right after the housing bubble burst and it was a good economy trending upwards. We can talk about whether he was hindering or hurting the econony but at the end of his Presidency the economy had recovered and was going up. If quantive easing helped his economy its helping Trumps economy too. That money didnt decirculate because Trump won.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I am not here to defend Obama or his economic policies. He took over a very bad economy right after the housing bubble burst and it was a good economy trending upwards. We can talk about whether he was hindering or hurting the econony but at the end of his Presidency the economy had recovered and was going up. If quantive easing helped his economy its helping Trumps economy too. That money didnt decirculate because Trump won.
    The Fed is enacting the opposite policies under this administration and for the most part they needed to because of the lengths they went to influx money into the economy after the housing crisis. But they decided to not change under Obama and then overcorrect under Trump. You be the judge.

Obama took over at the perfect time for a president. There was absolutely nowhere to go other than up after a massive recession and many studies have shown that his administrations policies led to the worst recovery in the history of our country.

Meanwhile - Even after a recovery we are seeing historic low levels of unemployement coupled with wage growth. More are entering the workforce than in decades. There is nothing to get upset over aside from a bunch of investment bankers potentially losing out and some people close to retirement who are getting nervous based on the uneasiness of the market. There are incredible opportunities for work right now in so many different fields. Spending is up which is indicative of disposable income. Small business are growing.

What I'd like to see is some more radical policies by this administration. Its long overdue to regulate companies like Walmart/Amazon/etc... They are now acting as counter capitalistic entities.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    What I'd like to see is some more radical policies by this administration. Its long overdue to regulate companies like Walmart/Amazon/etc... They are now acting as counter capitalistic entities.

I am very interested to know more about this tactic. As many specifics as possible please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    [/B]

I am very interested to know more about this tactic. As many specifics as possible please.
    I've long been a proponent of capping the number of stores one company can have in a set region. Whether that be at the state or county level I think we need to remove the chance of companies getting too large. I want more people to have the opportunity to become millionaires and if we divide up the market share amongst more participants then that is whats going to happen.

I don't care if the Waltons go from having 100+ billion to only 20 billion. I am for the people of the country to be prosperous and not some elite group of snobs.

Of course then you have the online platforms that need a different KPI to regulate. I know what the purists are going to say and I disagree. What we have now is not the intention of capitalism IMO.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The Fed is enacting the opposite policies under this administration and for the most part they needed to because of the lengths they went to influx money into the economy after the housing crisis. But they decided to not change under Obama and then overcorrect under Trump. You be the judge.

Obama took over at the perfect time for a president. There was absolutely nowhere to go other than up after a massive recession and many studies have shown that his administrations policies led to the worst recovery in the history of our country.

Meanwhile - Even after a recovery we are seeing historic low levels of unemployement coupled with wage growth. More are entering the workforce than in decades. There is nothing to get upset over aside from a bunch of investment bankers potentially losing out and some people close to retirement who are getting nervous based on the uneasiness of the market. There are incredible opportunities for work right now in so many different fields. Spending is up which is indicative of disposable income. Small business are growing.

Real wage growth is for **** right now.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    What's wrong with the economy?
    See above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Real wage growth is for **** right now.
    Do you think housing expenses and wages are related because that attributes for a majority of inflationary increases across the country, specifically in coastal areas, so those in the middle of the country have actually seen substantial 'real' wage growth.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I've long been a proponent of capping the number of stores one company can have in a set region. Whether that be at the state or county level I think we need to remove the chance of companies getting too large. I want more people to have the opportunity to become millionaires and if we divide up the market share amongst more participants then that is whats going to happen.

I don't care if the Waltons go from having 100+ billion to only 20 billion. I am for the people of the country to be prosperous and not some elite group of snobs.

Of course then you have the online platforms that need a different KPI to regulate. I know what the purists are going to say and I disagree. What we have now is not the intention of capitalism IMO.
    I don't have any sort of numerical limits or anything like that but I think you know that I agree with you at least on principal on this philosophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I don't have any sort of numerical limits or anything like that but I think you know that I agree with you at least on principal on this philosophy.
    Its been an active disinformation campaign by the elite of the world to make people think that Globalization helps them and yet all we are seeing is more consolidation of wealth and the destruction of the American middle class. Always look to see the sources of the studies and who is funding them. Its typically big money groups that have a self-interest in ensuring that globalism doesn't go away.

Another example are these trade wars with China. I can't find the article but some have suggested that have 78% of the financial burden has fallen on China but yet we were told that the world was going to be over with tariffs on their cheap goods.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Strongest Christmas sales in 6 years. Anyone want to consider that tax cuts and deregulation have worked?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Strongest Christmas sales in 6 years. Anyone want to consider that tax cuts and deregulation have worked?
    let's have more tax cuts then

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    let's have more tax cuts then
    Yes please

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Its been an active disinformation campaign by the elite of the world to make people think that Globalization helps them and yet all we are seeing is more consolidation of wealth and the destruction of the American middle class. Always look to see the sources of the studies and who is funding them. Its typically big money groups that have a self-interest in ensuring that globalism doesn't go away.

No offense my friend, but this sounds more like something I would say than something you would (typically) say. Hence my curiosity.

Another example are these trade wars with China. I can't find the article but some have suggested that have 78% of the financial burden has fallen on China but yet we were told that the world was going to be over with tariffs on their cheap goods.

To me if a president, or anyone else for that matter, has to turn around and funnel subsidy money to a particular group that was hit hard by his tariffs or trade wars then something would seem to have gotten lost in the translation of said. Just my opinion though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

i am curious your source
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    i am curious your source
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...150355431.html

Amazon sadly is the authority on gauging buying patterns.

Despite what some want to believe the economy is still going strong with little signs of slowing down.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    December ISM index and its new orders component showing one of the largest declines in recent decades. Absolute levels of the indexes remain at fairly healthy levels. So maybe just a slowdown from an economy that was overheating.

However, we may be entering a period where the quality of leadership in Washington starts to matter. Most of the time the economy does fine on auto pilot. But when the markets start to waver indications of adult supervision are helpful.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There is no doubt that China is more vulnerable to a tariff war than the U.S. And we are now seeing evidence of that. But the whole idea of winning a trade war is problematic. The "winning" side ends up being dragged down.

The right way to look at it is that trade is a win-win proposition for the most part. And trade wars are lose-lose. We need to be firm in areas (like protection of property rights) where China is a bad actor. But this tariff war approach is looking more and more counterproductive. And could trigger a global downturn.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (01-03-2019)