Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Kinda think Gausman's start bought him 48 hours to see what Folty can do against Louisville on Tuesday. Another meh outing, and he tries to go get Stroman and Giles - a good one against Louisville and he keeps as many top-end prospects as possible and only goes after pen pieces. Either way, I don't think he waits the Giants' decision out - begging to have to overpay if he waits until next weekend.
    I dont think Folty having a good/bad game against minor leaguers should change how AA approaches the deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I think we trade for either Minor or Boyd with a reliever attached
    While package deals are far less common than narratives like these suggest (they almost never happen despite being suggested countless times), I don’t think we talk enough about Minor as a possibility.

His .296 xwOBA suggests he is closer to what folks think Bumgarner is than Bumgarner himself, and won’t carry the insane “big game” name premium. He also has experience being dominant from the BP, so he should be better suited to being part of some creative pitcher deployment strategies.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I dont think Folty having a good/bad game against minor leaguers should change how AA approaches the deadline.

Lol, no, it won’t. AA has been gathering all the data he needs to make these decisions. The fact Folty hasn’t found his way back into the MLB rotation in favor of Wilson means he probably hasn’t found the slider and/or command yet.

A healthy Gausman joins Soroka and DK as playoff SPs. The question becomes if some combination of Fried/Teheran plus the other young SPs playing in BP roles is going to cut it as the 4th option.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-21-2019 at 10:03 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Completely depends on asking prices. If Folty puts up another good start and everybody's asking for the moon, I wouldn't blame him for passing.

I heard Buster mention that Donaldson told him that he felt like they have a legitimate shot with an addition or two. If AA can get someone like Giles for the back-end and add fresh arms like Folty and Gausman performing like they did in 2019, I wouldn't unload a whole bunch either. If you feel like you're going to get get 2019 Folty down the stretch, you don't need Stroman.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Completely depends on asking prices. If Folty puts up another good start and everybody's asking for the moon, I wouldn't blame him for passing.

I heard Buster mention that Donaldson told him that he felt like they have a legitimate shot with an addition or two. If AA can get someone like Giles for the back-end and add fresh arms like Folty and Gausman performing like they did in 2019, I wouldn't unload a whole bunch either. If you feel like you're going to get get 2019 Folty down the stretch, you don't need Stroman.
    Sure if you get 2018 Folty yes, you dont need Stroman, but what have we seen from Folty to show we're gonna get 2018 Folty.

Risky bet to make.

I assume you meant 2018 Folty but we've seen nothing to suggest he'll be that.
    Last edited by Heyward; 07-21-2019 at 10:11 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-22-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Think I’ll pass on 2019 Folty, thanks though.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (07-21-2019), Heyward (07-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Folty having good starts at AAA shouldn't get your hopes up. Unless he is absolutely dominating AAA lineups he isnt going to be a good starter. 6 innings 2 runs and 3 walks is good in the major, not at AAA.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Think I’ll pass on 2019 Folty, thanks though.
    Even assuming he meant 2018, that still shouldnt stop AA from getting a starter given Fried/Soroka will need their innings lowered down.

It's certainly gonna be interesting what AA does at the deadline, does he make THAT move or just add a couple BP pieces for filler.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    At this point I'd try Folty in relief.

Worked for Newk. Maybe Folty can take the Smoltz route and close the rest of the year.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Trading newcomb would fill one hole and create another
    Stroman can fill multiple holes.
    Or so I have been told.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-21-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I got an alert from the CBS Sports app that was a video and some reporter said Stroman would be traded sooner rather than later “most likely” to us or the Yankees. There was no option to link it.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    At this point I'd try Folty in relief.

Worked for Newk. Maybe Folty can take the Smoltz route and close the rest of the year.
    I’d like to see Folty as the closer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    https://larrybrownsports.com/basebal...y-trade/505218

Jon Heyman said that the DBacks may be willing to eat as much as 10 million a year to trade Greinke. He has a 15 team no trade clause which the Braves are not on that really limits his market even if they want to trade. I understand AA not wanting to sign elite players because they generally require contracts excessively long contracts but this is a great chance to get an elite starter for only 2.5 years. He would probably be a good bet to stay after those 2.5 years if we want him to. I know someone going to **** on this because of his age but no one is a better bet the next 2 years than Greinke when it comes to both health and performance.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post

Jon Heyman said that the DBacks may be willing to eat as much as 10 million a year to trade Greinke. He has a 15 team no trade clause which the Braves are not on that really limits his market even if they want to trade. I understand AA not wanting to sign elite players because they generally require contracts excessively long contracts but this is a great chance to get an elite starter for only 2.5 years. He would probably be a good bet to stay after those 2.5 years if we want him to. I know someone going to **** on this because of his age but no one is a better bet the next 2 years than Greinke when it comes to both health and performance.
    I may be in the minority, but I'd certainly try to work out a deal if they are willing to eat 10 million a year... its Heyman though, so eh...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

I'd actually be fine with Greinke if the D'backs ate enough of his contract. He's still really good. But I'm skeptical we'd be able to fit even half of his remaining contract into our budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    It's probably something like "sure we will eat 10 million a year if you include Pache, Anderson, and Waters". I would offer them Wright, Wilson, Langeliers, and Shewmake. Surely they couldn't turn down all that future value.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 07-22-2019 at 01:41 AM.

It’s over."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I'd certainly try to work out a deal if they are willing to eat 10 million a year... its Heyman though, so eh...
    No Greinke is one of the few older pitchers that I'd be fine with getting from a talent perspective. The contract makes me hesitant, even at 22 million per year instead of 32.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    No Greinke is one of the few older pitchers that I'd be fine with getting from a talent perspective. The contract makes me hesitant, even at 22 million per year instead of 32.
    Yeah its certainly a massive contract

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Greinke is a HoF pitcher. Wont be surprised if he is a quality starter through age 40. He has always been a special talent. He was viewed as a second round pick as a SS going into his senior year. 6 months before the draft he took up pitching. The Royals GM told his scouts he wanted the most polished pitcher in the draft that was closest to the majors because the Royals really hate winning. So their scouts get back to the GM and tell him that Greinke is already a more polished pitcher than anyone else in the draft even with only pitching for 6 months. The Royals minor league pitching coaches were about as qualified for the position as I am.

And for anyone who remembers Bill Shanks constant teasing of a "mystery pitcher" back on the scout boards. Greinke was the pitcher Shanks was referring to.

It’s over."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    It's probably something like "sure we will eat 10 million a year if you include Pache, Anderson, and Waters". I would offer them Wright, Wilson, Langeliers, and Shewmake. Surely they couldn't turn down all that future value.
    Pretty sure we can’t trade Langeliers or Shewmake yet. I think there needs to be a certain amount of time that has passed since the draft before they can be traded.