Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL at the Fast Food Strike

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    By the way. Anyone can live reasonably comfortably on minimum wage if they choose to. It's all about location. Let's say for example a single mother with 2 kids makes minimum wage and only works 40 hours per week. She makes about 1200 per month.

I just pulled up a random city (Hillsborough, NC) I know has good schools and fairly cheap living (certainly not the cheapest place).

2 bedroom apartment with pool and fitness center in a safe neighborhood - $750
    Food - Food stamps (500 per month at no cost to the single parent)
    Childcare - (120 per month based on state of North Carolina's childcare program)
    Health insurance - Medicaid (no cost)
    School - public (free)
    tax - negligible

So those are the most important items above... food, shelter, childcare and healthcare in a safe town with a very good school system. So that leaves 330 bucks left over for utilities (North Carolina programs help with this), gas, an inexpensive car (likely could have one donated to them by charity), clothes, toys, etc. which is more than enough to live reasonably comfortably. They don't have to worry about costly home repairs. Am I missing anything? Keep in mind that I'm sure there are even less expensive towns out there if the single parent wants more income for miscellaneous items. And this is for one who only chooses to work 40 hours.

Now granted, it's not the ideal life style by any means however, the idea that min wage is not a "liveable" wage in this country is a pretty dishonest one. It's all about location. If you want to live comfortably then you have to be willing to move. But the truth is that most Americans have to be willing to move to get what they want.

It is a good example. Because if that person is only working 40 hours per week, she is not doing the right things for her and her family. She should probably be working 60 hours a week.

But you forgot to include the iphones and ipad for the kids. Don't forget the essentials!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    To answer your questions here are pages n pages of blogposts explaining the workings. Also offers pro and con analyses

https://www.google.com/search?q=aust...ient=firefox-a
    That doesn't help at all, but thanks for trying. I'm looking for min wage increase proponents on this board to answer these questions based on circumstances right here in the good ole USofA. If you can't answer the questions then please don't reply.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Yes
    where has someone said they want it doubled? the conversation seems to have shifted (at least in this thread) to just simply raising it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Plenty of jobs out there if you made the right decisions in your life.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    where has someone said they want it doubled? the conversation seems to have shifted (at least in this thread) to just simply raising it.
    Go look at the google link 57 told us to read through

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    That doesn't help at all, but thanks for trying. I'm looking for min wage increase proponents on this board to answer these questions based on circumstances right here in the good ole USofA. If you can't answer the questions then please don't reply.
    If you don't like the answers -- stop asking the questions. Or at least ask question that require some thought rather than a knee jerk response. Or even better -- consider the wealth of opinion that is well written and well thought out,better informed than you or I and general is from the world of reality where opinions are expected to be backed up with data.

There are pages and pages of answers -examples opinions and counter opinions for the google request questions you posed.
    You know where I stand -- how about understanding why I stand there ---\.
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-11-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I would actually like to hear your answers - rather than google. I know you can't think for yourself, but try to at least read an article and then remember it without copy and pasting.

I read an article today that said raising the minimum wage will bring 5000 jobs from India back to the USA.
    It is true because I know it
    and I know how you hate copy and paste article tht come from somewhere other than the ghost writers of Ron Paulbut here
    is just one more reason why those 5000 jobs will come back to the US.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4423496.html

But hey, they wouldn't be homo if they worked on their foul shots or watched more football or I don't know -- payed more attention to NASCAR, followed Lynn Cheney -- I just really can't wait for the fist shakers to tell me why those 5000 jobs aren't coming back. Because I just said how they are coming back

Yes, I am mocking you
    Last edited by 57Brave; 12-11-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    If you don't like the answers -- stop asking the questions. Or at least ask question that require some thought rather than a knee jerk response. Or even better -- consider the wealth of opinion that is well written and well thought out,better informed than you or I and general is from the world of reality where opinions are expected to be backed up with data.

There are pages and pages of answers -examples opinions and counter opinions for the google request questions you posed.
    You know where I stand -- how about understanding why I stand there ---\.
    Your reply is absurdly belligerent. First, your google search was incredibly unhelpful and didn't answer any of my questions. Second, I'm on a message board where the whole point is to discuss things with fellow posters. Third, you ask much less thought out questions on this board all the time. Sometimes it's just better not to reply to posts rather than just being an obnoxious ass.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    You post how a woman with 2 kids and a full time job can live on $1200 a month then call me belligerent.
    Gotcha
    "but only if she ..."

////////////////////////

I've come up with a few questions for the raise the min wage folks (myself included):

1) If you raise min wage and increase it to the rate of inflation would that increase the likelihood of min wage jobs becoming more automated? Eventually it's just going to be cheaper to not hire min wage labor at all.
    If you bothered to read any blog reporting on how Australia can do $15/hr minimum wage you would see the answer. Nothing really intellectually challenging. It is not an opinion but a reported fact.

2) Would raising min wage to 15 per hour take a lot of folks off food stamps? Wouldn't that cancel out the raise in the min wage making it somewhat of a moot point. And the one benefit I like about food stamps is that it has to be spent on food. Or would you increase the income max for food stamp participants?
    Of course the standards for food stamps would change. That too is quantified on the Google page

3) Any concern that prices will increase in the very stores and restaurants that min wage earners visit the most?
    I asked yesterday how much a Big Mac would cost post min wage increase. Never heard back from anyone.
    Have you considered some of the people that gain from the raising of min wage would spend some of that money?But, my question to the price of a Big Mac speaks to how it really won't be noticable. Or at least any more noticable that McD's built in COLA raise it gives itself
    To either question yours or mine -- who knows how much exactly.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The problem with incresed minimum wage is not on McDonalds cause they'll make it work. It's on the small businesses. If you double the minimum wage, all of the sudden you're putting a squeeze on businesses who operate month to month. Walmart and McDonalds will adjust. And scoop up the remaining pieces of the small businesses that went under
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (12-23-2013), sturg33 (12-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The problem with incresed minimum wage is not on McDonalds cause they'll make it work. It's on the small businesses. If you double the minimum wage, all of the sudden you're putting a squeeze on businesses who operate month to month. Walmart and McDonalds will adjust. And scoop up the remaining pieces of the small businesses that went under
    Going back to late 60's-70's when Min Wage was governed by rate of inflation -- small business' coped. Of course that was before Mom and Pop small business (guessing that is the picture in yur head) were forced to compete with - Mcd Wal-Mart Lowes etc .

Wondering what percentage of min wage workers actually work in business' that employ less than 50 people (the cut off defined in ACA).
    Never heard of a business that went bankrupt from minimum waged increase.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Maybe slide the wage-scale based on various criteria, such as number of employees? Or maybe tithe (wither by new taxes or the closure of old loopholes) the larger corporations to subsidize some of the new, higher minimum wages going to the three jar-jockeys at Aunt Gwendolyn's Olde Time Backyard Jam-Joint?

Neither might be perfect solutions, but there are ways to cushion small businesses were increases to wage-minimums mandated.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    A slight increase isn't a huge problem but the massive increase people want would lead to many places shutting down or firing a ton of people. I think minimum wage is ok where it's at now. Maybe bring it up to 8. But people shouldn't be trying to raise a family on a single minimum wage job
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    I have a question for the board (not 57, as I don't want to rummage through Google).

I'm getting the sense that $15/hr is doable and wouldn't have many if any negative effects. OK.

But what about $30/hr? $60? How about $100/hr?

Why don't the minimum wage increase crowd want MORE than $15/hr? What is the reasoning to keep it at $15? Who are YOU to decide which minimum is minimum enough?? After all, I've been told in this thread that a guy who sells cars (someone who makes his employers hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars a year) is no more valuable than someone who sweeps up the lobby (saving the company… $20 a year). So why not $50/hr?

This is a serious question.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Because people want the wage to be increased to inflation and cost of living.

Nobody is saying raise it to be above that. Most of us do realize in fact that working a job like McDonalds isn't a high skilled job. That doesn't mean it shouldn't get treated fairly. Considering the fast food industry has struck gold since the recession, there's no reason to say that fast food workers shouldn't be given a raise since their industry has thrived in the last 5 years.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Because people want the wage to be increased to inflation and cost of living.

Nobody is saying raise it to be above that. Most of us do realize in fact that working a job like McDonalds isn't a high skilled job. That doesn't mean it shouldn't get treated fairly. Considering the fast food industry has struck gold since the recession, there's no reason to say that fast food workers shouldn't be given a raise since their industry has thrived in the last 5 years.
    What about industries that aren't fast food?

Also, you didn't answer my question… Why NOT $50/hour?

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Plenty of jobs out there if you made the right decisions in your life.
    Personal Accountability - we can't be having any of that around here now

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    What about industries that aren't fast food?

Also, you didn't answer my question… Why NOT $50/hour?
    Because we aren't interested in extrapolating to prove an absurd point, but more so we're interested in fairness.

You keep thinking we don't like capitalism. We just want to help make sure the people who are trying to earn an honest wage and living, are getting an honest wage.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    You post how a woman with 2 kids and a full time job can live on $1200 a month then call me belligerent.
    Gotcha
    "but only if she ..."

////////////////////////

I've come up with a few questions for the raise the min wage folks (myself included):

1) If you raise min wage and increase it to the rate of inflation would that increase the likelihood of min wage jobs becoming more automated? Eventually it's just going to be cheaper to not hire min wage labor at all.
    If you bothered to read any blog reporting on how Australia can do $15/hr minimum wage you would see the answer. Nothing really intellectually challenging. It is not an opinion but a reported fact.

2) Would raising min wage to 15 per hour take a lot of folks off food stamps? Wouldn't that cancel out the raise in the min wage making it somewhat of a moot point. And the one benefit I like about food stamps is that it has to be spent on food. Or would you increase the income max for food stamp participants?
    Of course the standards for food stamps would change. That too is quantified on the Google page

3) Any concern that prices will increase in the very stores and restaurants that min wage earners visit the most?
    I asked yesterday how much a Big Mac would cost post min wage increase. Never heard back from anyone.
    Have you considered some of the people that gain from the raising of min wage would spend some of that money?But, my question to the price of a Big Mac speaks to how it really won't be noticable. Or at least any more noticable that McD's built in COLA raise it gives itself
    To either question yours or mine -- who knows how much exactly.
    Lol... how was that post I made belligerent? I thought it was fairly insightful at least relative to my usual posts. If you want to argue that someone shouldn't have to relocate, then that's fine... I disagree with it... sometimes it is necessary. Why wouldn't you want to move to an area that provided your kids with a safe place to live and a good school system? Most people need to relocate at some point.

1) Show me the blog that answers my question about future automation increases? Truth is nobody has the answer to this question, because nobody can predict the future. If they lose their jobs then min wage is irrelevant. This is a legit concern going forward. It just points that we should be careful.

2) That's fine, but I think there are legit concerns that increasing welfare maxes along with inflation could lead to some long term cost issues. This is something to consider. I mean eventually a lot of people are going to qualify for welfare that didn't before.

3) Not just Big Macs but everything that they shop for. But the truth is that the cost of a Big Mac likely won't increase at all. Instead this money will go toward cutting labor and/or research in future automation (see question number one)

I think you are being overly aggressive here, because of your conservative stereotypes and old man grumpiness (I get it). I'm not against increasing min wage along with the rate of inflation, since it exists. But I would argue that liberals should be against minimum wage. They should be for more enhanced government enforced welfare to replace minimum wage. Maybe instead of min wage, if you have a min wage job, Walmart provides you with more money in food stamps, a retirement plan, a college education plan, money specifically for housing, funds for childcare, money earmarked for utilities... etc. I think it would help solve future problems and assure the money is being spent wisely for household with children.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    $15 an hour to flip a hamburger now? Amazing.

Do Democrats ever get tired of stealing other people's money?