Page 16 of 146 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Around The Majors 2019

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    That Willians guy on the twins is raking. I remember him in the Braves org. Didn’t have a great year but he has incredible stats. Rarely walks or strikes out. Never much of a power hitter either until this year. I saw him play like 3 times and he is short and square. Always pulled for him and was a bit upset we cut him.
    Khris Davis?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Jason Heyward hit two HRs tonight. He has 3 on the season.
    Curious to see if there's been a change in approach. He's a big guy and if can get upward trajectory, the relative HR drought he's had over the past few years may reverse a bit.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Khris Davis?
    Astudillo. Backing up at a number of positions with the Twins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Curious to see if there's been a change in approach. He's a big guy and if can get upward trajectory, the relative HR drought he's had over the past few years may reverse a bit.
    Yeah. Meant to say he’s had 3 in the past two days. That’s probably the biggest power surge he’s had since he left Atlanta.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Yeah. Meant to say he’s had 3 in the past two days. That’s probably the biggest power surge he’s had since he left Atlanta.
    I was under the impression that he was totally beating the ball into the ground, but looking at his advanced stats, it hasn't been that pronounced. If he can extend and stay inside the ball, he has the strength to put up big HR numbers. I go back-and-forth as to whether it was the beaning, the possibility opponents had solved him, or his constant tinkering with his stance that has led to his relative offensive downturn. Probably a combination of the three. Premier athlete, but sometimes that doesn't always transfer as readily and consistently as one thinks it should.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-07-2019)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Bench clearing incident between the Reds and Pirates
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Cody Bellinger making an early case for NL MVP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Bench clearing incident between the Reds and Pirates
    LOL at Puig.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I was under the impression that he was totally beating the ball into the ground, but looking at his advanced stats, it hasn't been that pronounced. If he can extend and stay inside the ball, he has the strength to put up big HR numbers. I go back-and-forth as to whether it was the beaning, the possibility opponents had solved him, or his constant tinkering with his stance that has led to his relative offensive downturn. Probably a combination of the three. Premier athlete, but sometimes that doesn't always transfer as readily and consistently as one thinks it should.
    I've always thought the problem was in his overactive hands. And he's top hand dominant, though that worked okay for Hank Aaron.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I've always thought the problem was in his overactive hands. And he's top hand dominant, though that worked okay for Hank Aaron.
    That and after the beaning, I thought he backed too far off the plate and couldn't handle pitches on the outer half. While he's never been a dead pull hitter, a healthy majority of his home runs are to right field (which is logical) and I always thought he was pulling off the ball when trying to pull pitches on the outer half.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-08-2019), Jaw (04-08-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Interesting---

From DOB

David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    #Braves' 6.82 bullpen ERA is fourth-highest in NL, ahead of only Arizona (7.32), Chicago (8.37) and league-worst Washington Nationals' 10.80. ATL relievers have allowed 10 homers, tied with Arizona for 2nd-most in majors behind Baltimore bullpen's staggering 15 homers allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Interesting---

From DOB

David O'Brien

Verified account

@DOBrienATL
    1h1 hour ago
    More
    #Braves' 6.82 bullpen ERA is fourth-highest in NL, ahead of only Arizona (7.32), Chicago (8.37) and league-worst Washington Nationals' 10.80. ATL relievers have allowed 10 homers, tied with Arizona for 2nd-most in majors behind Baltimore bullpen's staggering 15 homers allowed.
    DOB likes that small sample cheese.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    DOB likes that small sample cheese.
    Unfortunately it's the only sample cheese to look at presently.

While it's probably not indicative of much, it certainly does little to quiet those who felt the fact that the pen wasn't addressed with a little more urgency this winter was a mistake.

With Folty back soon and Soroka's strong start, maybe we'll finally see some of the really good young arms utilized in the pen if they're not going to be traded.

Sure it's early, but if you're not at least somewhat concerned about this pen as currently constructed you have to be kidding yourself a bit.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-08-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I don’t think the issue is binary—whether to be concerned or not—but how concerned to be. I am, for instance, not yet concerned enough that I think the Braves should surrender the requisite draft pool money, plus ~$15-million-plus in 2019 payroll, to sign a 30-year-old reliever who missed spring training (or any similarly drastic moves).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-08-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I don’t think the issue is binary—whether to be concerned or not—but how concerned to be. I am, for instance, not yet concerned enough that I think the Braves should surrender the requisite draft pool money, plus ~$15-million-plus in 2019 payroll, to sign a 30-year-old reliever who missed spring training (or any similarly drastic moves).
    Joe W
    3:11 Do you think the Mets are legitimately interested in Keuchel or Kimbrel? Or is that just noise?
    Steve Adams
    3:13 I'm sure they're interested at a low price; Rosenthal said over the weekend he's looking for either a year at north of $17.9MM or a multi-year deal at a lower (but I'm sure still a strong) rate -- that seems beyond what the Mets would have interest in spending. But the longer he's out there the more he might be willing to give in.

If the price for Kimbrel is ~$18M, and he holds out until early June after the draft, that's a prorated salary of ~$12M.

I just don't see how the Braves can justify not jumping at that when the time comes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Joe W
    3:11 Do you think the Mets are legitimately interested in Keuchel or Kimbrel? Or is that just noise?
    Steve Adams
    3:13 I'm sure they're interested at a low price; Rosenthal said over the weekend he's looking for either a year at north of $17.9MM or a multi-year deal at a lower (but I'm sure still a strong) rate -- that seems beyond what the Mets would have interest in spending. But the longer he's out there the more he might be willing to give in.

If the price for Kimbrel is ~$18M, and he holds out until early June after the draft, that's a prorated salary of ~$12M.

I just don't see how the Braves can justify not jumping at that when the time comes.
    How long would it take him to get ready if signed in June?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Joe W
    Steve Adams

Prorated and post-draft definitely changes the calculus. The Braves should also know a lot more about their bullpen by early June.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    How long would it take him to get ready if signed in June?
    It took Minter ~1 week from the time he was shut down in ST to making his MLB debut.

Assuming CK is keeping himself in ST-like shape (which a professional pitcher should be able to do on his own), I see no reason it would take even a week to get ready. Maybe a few days at extended ST in simulation games, then 1-2 tune up appearances at AAA, then a day off, then ready to go.

They would likely have to start him off a bit slowly, meaning no back to back games for a week or so, but he should be able to step right in pretty quickly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Prorated and post-draft definitely changes the calculus. The Braves should also know a lot more about their bullpen by early June.
    If the Braves don't already know a lot about their BP, someone isn't doing their job.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    If the Braves don't already know a lot about their BP, someone isn't doing their job.
    I’m mostly talking injuries and who’s able to come back from them, which will obviously shift some guys into relief roles or not. But there are always surprises in terms of efficacy or inefficacy, which is why we always talk about how volatile reliever performance is.
    Last edited by jpx7; 04-08-2019 at 04:46 PM.