Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Braves Should Avoid Becoming Diamondbacks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    MLB.com Castrovince has a column that supposes a black Friday deal of: Sale to the Braves for Albies, Newcomb, Riley, Wisler and Sims.

Anybody down with that?
    That's a deal I'd have to strongly consider. My preference is to trade Inciarte to a third team and use those prospets but ultimately that trade would not cripple us ad instantly makes us a potential threat in the playoffs

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That's a deal I'd have to strongly consider. My preference is to trade Inciarte to a third team and use those prospets but ultimately that trade would not cripple us ad instantly makes us a potential threat in the playoffs
    It improves the pitching at the ML level.

But, the offense still relies on MVP level play from Freeman and Inciarte and strong contribution from everyone else, including 3 geriatrics that most likely will regress, not improve (Kemp, Markakis, Flowers). Essentially the only guy that should be projected to provide significant improvement over 2016 play would be Swanson, IMO. Everyone else, you have to hope to get as good as you got. That's a lot to ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

But, the offense still relies on MVP level play from Freeman and Inciarte and strong contribution from everyone else, including 3 geriatrics that most likely will regress, not improve (Kemp, Markakis, Flowers). Essentially the only guy that should be projected to provide significant improvement over 2016 play would be Swanson, IMO. Everyone else, you have to hope to get as good as you got. That's a lot to ask.
    I guess we differ in that I'm not seeing this massive regression on offense. No we won't be scoring 6 runs a game like we did in September but the first half offense isn't even worth discussing. We are just a significantly different team now.

The pitching though would be DRASTICALLY improved which in turn would drastically improve put bullpen production. Over 162 that amounts to a lot of wins.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-25-2016), GovClintonTyree (11-26-2016)

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    MLB.com Castrovince has a column that supposes a black Friday deal of: Sale to the Braves for Albies, Newcomb, Riley, Wisler and Sims.

Anybody down with that?

passssssss

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perfect Cell For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-25-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    passssssss
    Not quite what we gave up for Teixeira, but pretty close. I'm not sold on Riley, but I think the other four are almost certain contributors at the big league level.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Perfect Cell (11-26-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I don't really think Kemp or Markakis is particularly likely to regress in 2017. Flowers would regress more because he's not as good as he played this past year rather than his age setting in, I think.

Sure, the Braves aren't likely to have a top five offense, but its pretty unlikely they have a bottom five either. The regression isn't really going to be all the way back to the lowest point of 2016 in all probability.

I don't really think that suggests that Atlanta is going to contend or should give up a ton to get Sale. But the right deal makes sense, given Sale's years of control, his reasonable price, and his trade value. But I think the whole process was nothing more than due diligence and giving the fan base the idea they were trying.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Anybody down with that?
    That actually doesn't seem like that much to me.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    That actually doesn't seem like that much to me.
    I guess a lot depends on if you believe Albies will be as good as Andrus. Given Anderson looks to the the White Sox' SS for the foreseeable future, Albies would likely play 2B for them. I think Newcomb compares favorably with Matt Harrison. Hard to know on Wisler, but Sims could be as good as Feliz (although not by any means a certainty). Riley is a wild card. To me, the big difference in the Teixeira deal is that Saltalamacchia was already in the big leagues when the trade was made and there is no ready comparison in this proposed deal (if it has actually been proposed). Granted, you pay more for an everyday player.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I guess a lot depends on if you believe Albies will be as good as Andrus. Given Anderson looks to the the White Sox' SS for the foreseeable future, Albies would likely play 2B for them. I think Newcomb compares favorably with Matt Harrison. Hard to know on Wisler, but Sims could be as good as Feliz (although not by any means a certainty). Riley is a wild card. To me, the big difference in the Teixeira deal is that Saltalamacchia was already in the big leagues when the trade was made and there is no ready comparison in this proposed deal (if it has actually been proposed). Granted, you pay more for an everyday player.

I think the biggest difference between the two deals, if that is how you have to frame it, is that Sale is a legitimate Ace with years of club control at a reasonable price rather than a hitter who was an obvious rental.

The club control offsets the biggest problem with the Texeira deal, which is they got next to nothing out of trading him. Sale could regress or blow out his elbow at the wrong time, but he figures to be a flippable asset for what should reasonably be expected to be a high return.

I'm not really pro or anti the particular deal. But it seems like something they might want to consider.

I see the thing as a shift of assets. And the asset Atlanta is getting is a key missing piece to a championship puzzle for some team with years of control. And that can be flipped if necessary for something that fits Atlanta's needs or timetable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Not quite what we gave up for Teixeira, but pretty close. I'm not sold on Riley, but I think the other four are almost certain contributors at the big league level.
    I don't think it's close to the Tex trade honestly. And even the Tex trade would have been worth it if we had Tex for several years, not just for 1.5 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I don't think it's close to the Tex trade honestly. And even the Tex trade would have been worth it if we had Tex for several years, not just for 1.5 years.
    The braves may also be in a completly different situation when it comes money as well. There is no reason why even afterm the three years Sale can't be retained. Obviously we won't outbid the biggest teams but it's not a foregone conclusion that we have no chance in the biggest guys anymore.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts

Anybody down with that?
    Hell yes.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think the biggest difference between the two deals, if that is how you have to frame it, is that Sale is a legitimate Ace with years of club control at a reasonable price rather than a hitter who was an obvious rental.

The club control offsets the biggest problem with the Texeira deal, which is they got next to nothing out of trading him. Sale could regress or blow out his elbow at the wrong time, but he figures to be a flippable asset for what should reasonably be expected to be a high return.

I'm not really pro or anti the particular deal. But it seems like something they might want to consider.

I see the thing as a shift of assets. And the asset Atlanta is getting is a key missing piece to a championship puzzle for some team with years of control. And that can be flipped if necessary for something that fits Atlanta's needs or timetable.
    I wish there were more years of control. With Archer there are. But he's not Sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I wish there were more years of control. With Archer there are. But he's not Sale.
    Not sure why fans are being so hesitant. There are a lot of metrics out there that grade Sale out to be one of the best pitchers of all time for the first X amount of innings in a career.

This is not some ordinary good pitcher. This is a potential first ballot HOF guy who is still only 27 years old. These chances don't come up often.

The Braves farm system is absolutely LOADED. The front office did just an unbelievable job getting us to this point and a big trade was always going to happen. Will the next chance be as good of a player as Sale? I doubt it. Strike while the iron is hot.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Archer is more valuable given the contract. Albies plus Newcomb for Archer is a fair trade. About 13 wins worth of expected surplus value on both sides.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-26-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Not sure why fans are being so hesitant. There are a lot of metrics out there that grade Sale out to be one of the best pitchers of all time for the first X amount of innings in a career.

This is not some ordinary good pitcher. This is a potential first ballot HOF guy who is still only 27 years old. These chances don't come up often.

The Braves farm system is absolutely LOADED. The front office did just an unbelievable job getting us to this point and a big trade was always going to happen. Will the next chance be as good of a player as Sale? I doubt it. Strike while the iron is hot.
    Some are being hesitant because that is a ton to give up, he's a pitcher and they're always risks, and it may not yet be the time to sell some of the farm and go for it.

There are legitimate reasons to not immediately jump on board.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Archer is more valuable given the contract. Albies plus Newcomb for Archer is a fair trade. About 13 wins worth of expected surplus value on both sides.
    And I'd make that deal yesterday and twice tomorrow.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Some are being hesitant because that is a ton to give up, he's a pitcher and they're always risks, and it may not yet be the time to sell some of the farm and go for it.

Agreed. There are reasons for both decisions. I'm just not sure how some are 100% against the trade. There are a lot of positives and negatives.

Eventually, some of these prospects are going to be traded.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And I'd make that deal yesterday and twice tomorrow.
    I read something the other day that talked about the volitaity of pitchers and that extra years of control aren't as valuable as they would be with hitters.

Sure, its nice to have but at some point pitchers are going to blow up and then those extra years mean little to nothing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

That's a lot to give up but it's a far far cry from giving up the farm man. All of those prospects are expendable and Wisler wouldn't be needed anymore. Riley's swing is too long and slow, trade him while he still has value. We have plenty of third base possibilities also far away. Albies is the only one that stings but he's definitely replaceable.