Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: International News, Rumor and Signing Thread

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I like a lot of what you've said here, but I would just offer a couple 'disagreements'. First, that's getting extremely optimistic to have a 2019 ETA (even if only 'potential') for the guys who have yet to play in the system at all. It's hard for me to see guys like Pache, Cruz, Wilson, or even Yepez being ready at that point. And while Maitan could possibly fly through the system and be ready, that's pretty crazily optimistic on him as well. And I don't see any shot at all for Gutierrez by then.

And as for that potential OF, it would be seriously weak defensively. Riley has a cannon, but I can't see him moving extremely well in LF. And I don't see any way Maitan would fit in CF, even at that age. He's going to be huge.

The main point is it's entirely possible that our lineup AND rotation could be homegrown by 2018/2019/2020 with quite a few inexpensive high-ceiling players. Combine the game's increasing revenues with the Braves' increasing revenues from the stadium complex, and it's definitely not hard to see us as potential major players when it comes to signing players from the monumental 2018 free-agent class. Keep the Pitchers, throw 8 years and $240 million at Machado, and call it a decade...

2B- Albies, SS- Swanson, 3B- Machado, 1B- Freeman, DH- Riley, RF- Maitan, LF- Lazarito, C- Gutierrez/Herbert, CF- Mallex
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The main point is it's entirely possible that our lineup AND rotation could be homegrown by 2018/2019/2020 with quite a few inexpensive high-ceiling players. Combine the game's increasing revenues with the Braves' increasing revenues from the stadium complex, and it's definitely not hard to see us as potential major players when it comes to signing players from the monumental 2018 free-agent class. Keep the Pitchers, throw 8 years and $240 million at Machado, and call it a decade...

2B- Albies, SS- Swanson, 3B- Machado, 1B- Freeman, DH- Riley, RF- Maitan, LF- Lazarito, C- Gutierrez/Herbert, CF- Mallex
    No doubt, I agree.

For me, I'd rather keep Inciarte. I just don't know how long Mallex will be a productive major league player.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    No doubt, I agree.

For me, I'd rather keep Inciarte. I just don't know how long Mallex will be a productive major league player.
    I agree with this, I think that Inciarte is a slower version that we hope Mallex becomes. But I feel Inciarte will play better defense in center than Mallex, and if we were to fall into or get a better center fielder...Inciarte is a better 4th outfielder as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'll take Inciarte over Mallex too. I'm interested to see what they do with the money when the big free agent class rolls around. Harper or Machado would be big targets we could afford. If Machado stays healthy that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Inciarte is a platoon player waiting to happen... if we can get quite a bit for him (and it sounded like he was coming off valuable to plenty of clubs) then we should jump on it... he can't hit lefties at all.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Inciarte is a platoon player waiting to happen... if we can get quite a bit for him (and it sounded like he was coming off valuable to plenty of clubs) then we should jump on it... he can't hit lefties at all.
    Platoon? There is no way that's his outlook. He's had little issues in the minors hitting them (.298 in A, .384 Adv.A, .260 in 13, small sample in 14' at .400) and should be solid going forward. I just disagree with that ZB.

I did read that he changed his approach and it cost him against LH.
    Last edited by Deester11; 02-05-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I'll take Inciarte over Mallex too. I'm interested to see what they do with the money when the big free agent class rolls around. Harper or Machado would be big targets we could afford. If Machado stays healthy that is.
    I still have hope that Inciarte gets traded to the Cubs. I think the Cubs are working on Dexter Fowler bidding against the White Sox. If they miss out, I think Inciarte goes to the Cubs. I just can't believe that they sign a guy whose value is significantly tied to his RF defense and play him out of position in CF.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-05-2016), JohnAdcox (02-06-2016), Julio3000 (02-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I still don't buy that Heyward will be in cf either.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-06-2016), Julio3000 (02-05-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Platoon? There is no way that's his outlook. He's had little issues in the minors hitting them (.298 in A, .384 Adv.A, .260 in 13, small sample in 14' at .400) and should be solid going forward. I just disagree with that ZB.

I did read that he changed his approach and it cost him against LH.
    He hit something like .220 against lefties last year...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I still have hope that Inciarte gets traded to the Cubs. I think the Cubs are working on Dexter Fowler bidding against the White Sox. If they miss out, I think Inciarte goes to the Cubs. I just can't believe that they sign a guy whose value is significantly tied to his RF defense and play him out of position in CF.
    I don't know how WAR works its way through, but if Heyward does play CF, will his offensive value as a CF increase compared to other CFs that it will make up for any loss in his defensive WAR, which will likely drop.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I still don't buy that Heyward will be in cf either.
    Maybe they're putting him there because he can hit lefties.

Oh, wait...

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    It's Saturday. Has Laz agreed to sign with us yet?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-06-2016), The Chosen One (02-06-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    He hit something like .220 against lefties last year...
    Yes, in a one-year sample with about 140 ABs. He hit over .270 against lefties in the majors in 2014. His issue against lefties right now is a lack of any power. His K-rate in the majors has actually been better against lefties, and his isoOBP is pretty much equal to against righties. So his average should be fine against lefties going forward, and he should be able to put up an OBP at or above .300. His issue is his lack of pop against them, but it shouldn't force him into a platoon.

And regarding Hayward in CF, yes his defensive value will probably come down some, but his offensive value will go up and should negate the drop in defensive value. He can absolutely play CF and be very valuable right now.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    It's Saturday. Has Laz agreed to sign with us yet?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Yes, in a one-year sample with about 140 ABs. He hit over .270 against lefties in the majors in 2014. His issue against lefties right now is a lack of any power. His K-rate in the majors has actually been better against lefties, and his isoOBP is pretty much equal to against righties. So his average should be fine against lefties going forward, and he should be able to put up an OBP at or above .300. His issue is his lack of pop against them, but it shouldn't force him into a platoon.

And regarding Hayward in CF, yes his defensive value will probably come down some, but his offensive value will go up and should negate the drop in defensive value. He can absolutely play CF and be very valuable right now.
    Your argument for Inciarte not being a platoon player is a based on an empty BA that tops out at .270, an OBP of around .300, and little to no power vs LHers. Do you realize you just described the exact definition of a platoon player?

I would be shocked if Inciarte isn't at his absolute peak value/production right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Your argument for Inciarte not being a platoon player is a based on an empty BA that tops out at .270, an OBP of around .300, and little to no power vs LHers. Do you realize you just described the exact definition of a platoon player?

I would be shocked if Inciarte isn't at his absolute peak value/production right now.
    But that comes with elite defense. We'll be hard-pressed to find a CF with more overall value against LHP.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    In case you guys missed it, DOB was informed that Lazarito was impressive in his private workout today. No idea if we're gonna get him yet. Source: https://twitter.com/DOBrienAJC/statu...13961251573760

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    On another note, has anyone heard about the Cardinals interest in Maitan? Evidently they are "all over" him and have been since he was 13. They also sign a few players from the academy he trains at. I think he's a Brave come July 2nd, but this Lazarito thing should quickly die if it means losing Maitan.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    On another note, has anyone heard about the Cardinals interest in Maitan? Evidently they are "all over" him and have been since he was 13. They also sign a few players from the academy he trains at. I think he's a Brave come July 2nd, but this Lazarito thing should quickly die if it means losing Maitan.
    As far as I can tell this is based on one St. Louis beat writer mentioning it last July with no real specifics. I'm pretty sure every team in the Majors has scouted him since he was around that age.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    As far as I can tell this is based on one St. Louis beat writer mentioning it last July with no real specifics. I'm pretty sure every team in the Majors has scouted him since he was around that age.
    Yeah, I understand that. Penalties notwithstanding, why wouldn't others have a bidding war for what's being described as a generational talent? Handshake agreement aside.....if/when/should he sign, he'll be my new Teheran rookie league to majors follow.