Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Taking on Salary Through Trades

It is clear that:

1) Payroll will go up significantly next year and

2) The upcoming FA class is not that deep

Add those two items together with the FO's occasional statements about preferring to add players through the trade route, and it seems probable that we will be taking on salary via trades next off-season.

If we focus on players on contracts with little or no surplus value (expected production minus cost) then we can pick up some of those players without giving up much in return. Also by picking up players with only 2 or 3 years left on the contract, we can limit risks (especially if one or more of the remaining years is an option).

Some teams who have spent to their limits might be looking to gain some flexibility by off-loading some contracts. I'm thinking for example of the Tigers, Rangers and Blue Jays. All three of those teams have players who might fit into what we are trying to do in terms of adding some veterans to supplement a young core.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2016), The Chosen One (04-19-2016)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    we rebuilt the farm so we could trade it away again
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    we rebuilt the farm so we could trade it away again
    Not necessarily. I noted that we wouldn't have to give up much if we traded for players on contracts teams are eager to move.

Also we have some possible trade chips that are older players rather than prospects. I'm thinking here of Markakis, Garcia and Inciarte. The latter two especially might be attractive to teams who would like to increase their financial flexibility.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-19-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think we will look at that

I think we could look at taking on a bad contract if we get a good asset in return

If we trade a guy like markakis I'd like to think we consider paying his way for the rest of the year if it maximizes the return

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Not necessarily. I noted that we wouldn't have to give up much if we traded for players on contracts teams are eager to move.

Also we have some possible trade chips that are older players rather than prospects. I'm thinking here of Markakis, Garcia and Inciarte. The latter two especially might be attractive to teams who would like to increase their financial flexibility.
    Ender is still under control for quite a while at a bargain rate... with how good he is on defense... and that he's a proven prototypical type lead off hitter (no guarantee that Mallex will adjust to MLB)... I'd have a hard time trading Ender unless we were blown away.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-19-2016), The Chosen One (04-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Ender is still under control for quite a while at a bargain rate... with how good he is on defense... and that he's a proven prototypical type lead off hitter (no guarantee that Mallex will adjust to MLB)... I'd have a hard time trading Ender unless we were blown away.
    My thoughts exactly as I have said all along as nsacpi probably recalls, Inciarte is one of the pieces I want to keep in following the Royals model of building a contender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It goes without saying that any trade has to produce good value. And I do regard Ender as one of our most valuable players. Much more valuable than the other two players I mentioned.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    You haven't had a nsacpi signature thread like this in a while. About time.
    Forever Fredi

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Didn't take much to blow away Coppy and Hart to give away Wood and Peraza.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    You haven't had a nsacpi signature thread like this in a while. About time.
    The four game winning streak has lifted my spirits.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-19-2016)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    One of either Inciarte or M Smith has to go. Good teams don't start two guys like that in the outfield, especially if they are not especially powerful in the infield. I would trade Inciarte if you think he can bring back 2-3 young players with potential to be as good or better (but haven't proven it yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Didn't take much to blow away Coppy and Hart to give away Wood and Peraza.
    We got fair value for them. Wood is done and Peraza already got moved again.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    We got fair value for them. Wood is done and Peraza already got moved again.
    I didn't particularly like the trade for Olivera when it was made, but I understood the logic. We just fell in love with a guy who looked good in batting practice and lost our bearings.

I don't know if Wood is done, but I have never been that big a fan. I don't know if it's his motion, but he rarely seems to be able to get in a groove and maintain it throughout a game. When he does, he's really good. The problem is I've never seen a guy with such variation in command on an inning-to-inning basis. He can be cruising along and the wheels just fall off. Sometimes, he magically regains it the next inning like it was just a burp. Peraza is starting to look like a speed only guy and while there is truly value in players like that, I always thought he was over-ranked by some of the scouting services. Could be Mallex who plays the infield.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    One of either Inciarte or M Smith has to go. Good teams don't start two guys like that in the outfield, especially if they are not especially powerful in the infield. I would trade Inciarte if you think he can bring back 2-3 young players with potential to be as good or better (but haven't proven it yet).
    i can't see how trading ender makes any sense unless the braves are moving to the 2025 plan. the farm is loaded with pitching and a good young position player should be treated like royalty at this point. ender is proven. smith is just a prospect who many feel is probably not going to ever be great. if you trade anybody, trade smith i say.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chipchildress For This Useful Post:

Preacher (04-20-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    i can't see how trading ender makes any sense unless the braves are moving to the 2025 plan. the farm is loaded with pitching and a good young position player should be treated like royalty at this point. ender is proven. smith is just a prospect who many feel is probably not going to ever be great. if you trade anybody, trade smith i say.
    smith doesn't hold value at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    i can't see how trading ender makes any sense unless the braves are moving to the 2025 plan.
    The return is not necessarily more prospects. At some point some of our trades will be of the variety where the value of what we receive is more front-loaded than the value of what we trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    smith doesn't hold value at this point.
    Why not?

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    The return is not necessarily more prospects. At some point some of our trades will be of the variety where the value of what we receive is more front-loaded than the value of what we trade.

Ok, but unless Smith is believed to a real long term option at center field, i can't see how trading a legit center fielder away for other parts will help when we all know Andruw Jones isn't walking through that door. We also all remember just how important having a guy with the talent of an Andruw Jones in the middle was to this braves team depending on great pitching to win. So if you trade Ender, either you're hoping for a miracle from the farm that doesn't look anywhere close to happening, 2016 international free agent signings notwithstanding, or you'll have to replace him by trade which probably means you'd just be trading in circles anyway.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Why not?
    rephrase.. doesn't hold the same value as Ender. We don't know who the better player will be in the long run.. Ender just holds far better value over Smith. I am not inclined to trade either personally... not unless the return is 'Miller like'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Ok, but unless Smith is believed to a real long term option at center field, i can't see how trading a legit center fielder away for other parts will help when we all know Andruw Jones isn't walking through that door. We also all remember just how important having a guy with the talent of an Andruw Jones in the middle was to this braves team depending on great pitching to win. So if you trade Ender, either you're hoping for a miracle from the farm that doesn't look anywhere close to happening, 2016 international free agent signings notwithstanding, or you'll have to replace him by trade which probably means you'd just be trading in circles anyway.
    I think the return on Ender would have to be very high. Imo we are more likely to trade Adonis Garcia or Markakis for a catcher.