Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking on Salary Through Trades

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    rephrase.. doesn't hold the same value as Ender. We don't know who the better player will be in the long run.. Ender just holds far better value over Smith. I am not inclined to trade either personally... not unless the return is 'Miller like'
    The better player doesn't always have the higher value. Other factors such as salaries, years of team control come into play.

I'm not advocating trading Ender without getting appropriate value. I just cited him as a player who is not a prospect but is a potential trade chip.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is clear that:

1) Payroll will go up significantly next year and

2) The upcoming FA class is not that deep

Add those two items together with the FO's occasional statements about preferring to add players through the trade route, and it seems probable that we will be taking on salary via trades next off-season.

If we focus on players on contracts with little or no surplus value (expected production minus cost) then we can pick up some of those players without giving up much in return. Also by picking up players with only 2 or 3 years left on the contract, we can limit risks (especially if one or more of the remaining years is an option).

Some teams who have spent to their limits might be looking to gain some flexibility by off-loading some contracts. I'm thinking for example of the Tigers, Rangers and Blue Jays. All three of those teams have players who might fit into what we are trying to do in terms of adding some veterans to supplement a young core.
    I think most holes can and will be filled via FA, especially if the Braves have another protected pick. For example, Cervelli would be an excellent signing to fill the gaping hole at C. I think he should be FA priority #1.

This will probably be the first offseason where the team stops trading away MLB pieces for prospects, and starts acquiring MLB talent. The most glaring hole other than C is corner OF and probably 3B, particularly a RHed impact bat (as usual for the Braves).

Looking at RHed corner OFers with 2-3 years of control remaining around the league, I see: Ryan Braun, and....nobody else. No idea where offense is going to come via trade.

The only FAs that would fit that mold: Carlos Gomez (tailed off big time), Cespedes (good option on a 4-5 year deal), and Bautista (good option on a 3-4 year deal, but likely way too expensive).

I would like to see 3B filled short term by David Freese, who is currently putting up his typical .700-.750 OPS with the Pirates for a paltry $3M. It still blows my mind that an average MLB 3B was available for such a bargain. Prado would also be a good option.

So to summarize, the team by mid-2017:

C - Cervelli
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Albies
    3B - Freese/Prado
    SS - Swanson
    LF - Braun/Cespedes/Bautista
    CF - Inciarte/Smith
    RF - Markakis/Inciarte

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think most holes can and will be filled via FA, especially if the Braves have another protected pick. For example, Cervelli would be an excellent signing to fill the gaping hole at C. I think he should be FA priority #1.

This will probably be the first offseason where the team stops trading away MLB pieces for prospects, and starts acquiring MLB talent. The most glaring hole other than C is corner OF and probably 3B, particularly a RHed impact bat (as usual for the Braves).

Looking at RHed corner OFers with 2-3 years of control remaining around the league, I see: Ryan Braun, and....nobody else. No idea where offense is going to come via trade.

The only FAs that would fit that mold: Carlos Gomez (tailed off big time), Cespedes (good option on a 4-5 year deal), and Bautista (good option on a 3-4 year deal, but likely way too expensive).

I would like to see 3B filled short term by David Freese, who is currently putting up his typical .700-.750 OPS with the Pirates for a paltry $3M. It still blows my mind that an average MLB 3B was available for such a bargain. Prado would also be a good option.

So to summarize, the team by mid-2017:

C - Cervelli
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Albies
    3B - Freese/Prado
    SS - Swanson
    LF - Braun/Cespedes/Bautista
    CF - Inciarte/Smith
    RF - Markakis/Inciarte
    I think we'll dabble some in the FA market. But stay away from the guys with qualifying offers. A high second round pick is something I think we will be reluctant to part with.

In terms of need, catcher is the most obvious one. Someone to play third would be desirable, but less urgent if Ruiz maintains his improved performance in AAA. I think there is a chance we trade for an established starting pitcher. He would potentially join a 2017 rotation of Teheran, Wisler, Blair and Folty.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I think the return on Ender would have to be very high. Imo we are more likely to trade Adonis Garcia or Markakis for a catcher.

It wouldn't shock me to see some of the young pitches moved like Jenkins and Fried to help acquire some young and controllable position players. Newcomb and Blair and probably the guys from last year's draft seem like guys they'll surely want to hold on to, but the rest, eh. How high is Tyrell Jenkins's ceiling really anyway?

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    I think we'll dabble some in the FA market. But stay away from the guys with qualifying offers. A high second round pick is something I think we will be reluctant to part with.

In terms of need, catcher is the most obvious one. Someone to play third would be desirable, but less urgent if Ruiz maintains his improved performance in AAA. I think there is a chance we trade for an established starting pitcher. He would potentially join a 2017 rotation of Teheran, Wisler, Blair and Folty.
    I'll bet they're aiming to have Newcomb in there too at some point next year. I'm actually expecting he'll be in Atlanta by July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Didn't take much to blow away Coppy and Hart to give away Wood and Peraza.
    That's what frightens me. They seem to have a hard on for certain Cubans... The ones who don't seem to work out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    I'll bet they're aiming to have Newcomb in there too at some point next year. I'm actually expecting he'll be in Atlanta by July.
    you need more than 5 starters to get through a season. The guys in AAA will come into play.