Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: GDT 3/31 - TONIGHT EMMA DANCES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Buddy Carlyle, probably our opening day starter if AA would get off his ass and make a phone call

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    if the braves won 2 of 3 or even 1 of 3 you would see half the amount of panicking.
    the team will be fine
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Anyone seen the Tiger Woods meme circulating among Braves fans on Twitter. I've never seen Braves fans this uniformly upset. And it's not because we got swept on the opening series. It's that AA screwed the pooch this past offseason.
    Scott Coleman started it lol it's hilarious!

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    if the braves won 2 of 3 or even 1 of 3 you would see half the amount of panicking.
    the team will be fine
    With this roster that’s not happening.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    With this roster that’s not happening.
    lol, the roster isn't bad by any means. what does that even mean?
    the pitching is banged up top-to-bottom. donaldson and acuña did nothing all weekend.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    the team will be fine
    This is overly simplistic. Getting swept by the Phillies was not sufficient to cause the rage the Braves fanbase is feeling. It was more the match that set fire to the large amount of tinder that had accumulated over the offseason.

Braves fans sat and watched AA twiddle his thumbs this offseason. They saw player after player go to other teams when those players could have helped the Braves. They're sitting there now looking at one of the best closers in baseball who would love to play here sitting unsigned. All of this after being told repeatedly how aggressive the team would be this offseason and how much financial flexibility we had. That built up a lot of anger with the Braves brass.

Then you have that Phillies series. The pitching staff, one begging for upgrades after the walk happy season last year yet without any additions to speak of, collapses in embarrassing fashion. They walk 20 Phillies in 24 IP. That's a 7.50 BB/9, only beating out Baltimore in all of baseball.

This was the perfect convergence of simmering fan outrage from a wasted offseason and a series that perfectly demonstrated the problems this roster has.

The outrage is not overreaction. It's a reasonable reaction to the BS that AA and Co put this fanbase through the last 5 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    lol, the roster isn't bad by any means. what does that even mean?
    the pitching is banged up top-to-bottom. donaldson and acuña did nothing all weekend.
    This is the most overused excuse by far. Of course the pitching staff was going to be banged up. We don't exactly have a group that are paragons of durability. O'Day shouldn't have been counted on at all. At least one of the group of Minter, Venters, Viz, and Biddle was going to go down (Minter's injury will not be the last for that group this year). The rotation was almost certainly going to have an injury.

Bottom line, injuries to the pitching staff should not have come as a surprise. AA should have constructed his roster to guard against that. The fact that Carle and Jackson were the first guys up to fill in for injured pitchers shows you just how little depth there is in the pen. The fact that the starters for our second and third games of the season had one major league start between them shows the lack of depth there too.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I think we need to stop saying Donaldson will be fine. A 33 year old guy coming off leg injuries might not be alright.
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

salmagundy (04-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    This is overly simplistic. Getting swept by the Phillies was not sufficient to cause the rage the Braves fanbase is feeling. It was more the match that set fire to the large amount of tinder that had accumulated over the offseason.

Braves fans sat and watched AA twiddle his thumbs this offseason. They saw player after player go to other teams when those players could have helped the Braves. They're sitting there now looking at one of the best closers in baseball who would love to play here sitting unsigned. All of this after being told repeatedly how aggressive the team would be this offseason and how much financial flexibility we had. That built up a lot of anger with the Braves brass.

Then you have that Phillies series. The pitching staff, one begging for upgrades after the walk happy season last year yet without any additions to speak of, collapses in embarrassing fashion. They walk 20 Phillies in 24 IP. That's a 7.50 BB/9, only beating out Baltimore in all of baseball.

This was the perfect convergence of simmering fan outrage from a wasted offseason and a series that perfectly demonstrated the problems this roster has.

The outrage is not overreaction. It's a reasonable reaction to the BS that AA and Co put this fanbase through the last 5 months.
    We know they tried to get Paxton, we know they had Brantley right at or around the same salary he signed for in Houston. We changed pitching coaches.

At some point these guys gotta sink or swim. With the injuries, they are getting their tests in early. I doubt they continue to throw up a BB rate like that.

I guarantee you they don't want to sacrifice the draft picks in order to try and elongate the window to contend.

I don't think that getting into a terrible contract for DK or CK is in our long term interests either.
    Ivermectin Man

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    This is the most overused excuse by far. Of course the pitching staff was going to be banged up. We don't exactly have a group that are paragons of durability. O'Day shouldn't have been counted on at all. At least one of the group of Minter, Venters, Viz, and Biddle was going to go down (Minter's injury will not be the last for that group this year). The rotation was almost certainly going to have an injury.

Bottom line, injuries to the pitching staff should not have come as a surprise. AA should have constructed his roster to guard against that. The fact that Carle and Jackson were the first guys up to fill in for injured pitchers shows you just how little depth there is in the pen. The fact that the starters for our second and third games of the season had one major league start between them shows the lack of depth there too.
    And we know Mac and Flowers will go down this year. Enjoy Rafy guys.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    missing your top two starters and backend of your bullpen is not an "overused excuse." it is a completely relevant point and something that has very clearly hurt the team.
    i get that the people who whined all offseason feel justified in their whining and are turning up the whine to level 1000, but baseball is 162 games. it's been rough, but there's too much time to panic.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We know they tried to get Paxton, we know they had Brantley right at or around the same salary he signed for in Houston. We changed pitching coaches.

At some point these guys gotta sink or swim. With the injuries, they are getting their tests in early. I doubt they continue to throw up a BB rate like that.

I guarantee you they don't want to sacrifice the draft picks in order to try and elongate the window to contend.

I don't think that getting into a terrible contract for DK or CK is in our long term interests either.
    And this is the problem. We held every single one of our risky assets. So now we get to see how many go Allard on us this year. Sometimes you have to overpay to get the wins you need. Or just get good value Mac and good value neck
    Coppy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (04-01-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    missing your top two starters and backend of your bullpen is not an "overused excuse." it is a completely relevant point and something that has very clearly hurt the team.
    i get that the people who whined all offseason feel justified in their whining and are turning up the whine to level 1000, but baseball is 162 games. it's been rough, but there's too much time to panic.

Or maybe what they “whined” about was justified. Maybe AA isn’t a genius because he was a dodger. Maybe look at the body of work and see if you like what you see instead of just ecusing things off. I did that with copyhart. Not this time. Way too many red flags already in his tenure.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The thing that you're not considering is that AA did not plan for injuries. That's a huge mistake. The injuries to Folty and Gausman will almost certainly not be the last injuries to starters. Minter and O'Day will not be the last injuries to relievers.

AA's approach was basically to count on 100% health and that multiple young pitchers would be ready from the start.

All this doesn't even touch on the fact that AA totally screwed up in upgrading the OF.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-01-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Or maybe what they “whined” about was justified. Maybe AA isn’t a genius because he was a dodger. Maybe look at the body of work and see if you like what you see instead of just ecusing things off. I did that with copyhart. Not this time. Way too many red flags already in his tenure.
    Yep. I was willing to give AA a chance. I didn't like what I saw of his time in Toronto but I was willing to see if he learned anything in LA and if maybe he just had some bad luck in some big deals with the Jays. This past offseason was his chance to impress. He had money, he had holes to fill, and he had a flush farm system. He fell flat on his face. He is who he is and that's a guy who isn't very good at his job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    And this is the problem. We held every single one of our risky assets. So now we get to see how many go Allard on us this year. Sometimes you have to overpay to get the wins you need. Or just get good value Mac and good value neck
    The Braves are at the start of a window. When you're in a window, you overpay. You can't hold onto your money, dither about getting value, and then watch the window close as guys age out or get expensive. AA botched the offseason big time.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Wanna know the definition of a bad off season. When your GM brags about what almost happened versus what did happen. We almost traded for Paxton. We almost signed Brantley. We almost traded for JTR. We had 70% deal done. We almost traded for a big salary. We said we could spend money which doesn’t mean we will spend money. Well you didn’t. Good job.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Btw. You see what peralta and Brantley are doing early on. Would be nice for a guy to start hot and hope he stays hot versus what we have. I am not sure how JTR is doing. Anyone know.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Wanna know the definition of a bad off season. When your GM brags about what almost happened versus what did happen. We almost traded for Paxton. We almost signed Brantley. We almost traded for JTR. We had 70% deal done. We almost traded for a big salary. We said we could spend money which doesn’t mean we will spend money. Well you didn’t. Good job.
    But now look at all this flexibility we have for when we're out of the race at the deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    The Braves are at the start of a window. When you're in a window, you overpay. You can't hold onto your money, dither about getting value, and then watch the window close as guys age out or get expensive. AA botched the offseason big time.
    Should have just signed Harper and Cutch.
    Ivermectin Man