Page 96 of 98 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1957

Thread: Braves donate Justin Upton to Padres for prospects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    That's funny, because that's not what Gattis does. If the Braves loaded up on power hitters, you would be saying "I'm glad the Braves are loading up on power. Power guys will be invaluable going forward!"
    And thats why Gattis will be traded.

And I wouldn't say that because we saw what loading up on power hitters did for us. Just a lot of swings and misses and a complete inability to score runs other than a homerun. Yeah that works in the regular season against crappy teams and the back end of starting rotations but in the playoffs that **** doesn't work.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And thats why Gattis will be traded.

And I wouldn't say that because we saw what loading up on power hitters did for us. Just a lot of swings and misses and a complete inability to score runs other than a homerun. Yeah that works in the regular season against crappy teams and the back end of starting rotations but in the playoffs that **** doesn't work.
    So, now you don't like Gattis as a player?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    So, now you don't like Gattis as a player?
    Nope, I still like Gattis a lot. He just doesn't fit on an NL roster anymore. He can be a good defensive catcher but he is just going to get hurt a lot. His real value is getting 550+ Ab's as a DH. Since 2015/16 will most likely not be years that result in a playoff appearance I think it makes sense to capitalize on his value now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Heyward (12-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I didnt watch all of our games, but 29 HR's, 100+ RBI's, Justin was our best hitter last year, come on.
    this doesn't address my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Justin was poor with RISP. That's a fact. When your number 4 hitter doesn't hit well with RISP, it hurts. Again, point to sample size or flukes. I can hear it. But the raw numbers are what they are, and they aren't good.
    He was our best hitter with a runner at first. Right there near the top with runners at first and third. Right there near the top with a runner at third (arguably the best due to at-bats). Right there near the top with runners on period. I guess he just really sucked when a runner was at second. Wonder if it was a distraction somehow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I can't knock Justin for his time here. He was our best hitter. I would like to believe we tried to extend him and his response was the reason he was traded.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    He was our best hitter with a runner at first. Right there near the top with runners at first and third. Right there near the top with a runner at third (arguably the best due to at-bats). Right there near the top with runners on period. I guess he just really sucked when a runner was at second. Wonder if it was a distraction somehow?
    Good point, I'll take a two-run bomb with a runner on first instead of second. Justin seemed to do that quite a bit and those RBI's count just the same. :)

That said, I am growing tired of the nonsense of this forum directed towards Heyward, Justin and Gattis. They weren't the problems, but the way some on here go on you'd sure think so.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Good point, I'll take a two-run bomb with a runner on first instead of second. Justin seemed to do that quite a bit and those RBI's count just the same. :)

That said, I am growing tired of the nonsense of this forum directed towards Heyward, Justin and Gattis. They weren't the problems, but the way some on here go on you'd sure think so.
    I don't think anyone has said those guys were the problem. I think where most of us stand is that they are gong to be part of the solution in that they will return future value to the franchise via trade. We weren't winning with them and most likely they both leave for larger dollars in FA so why not trade them?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

The answer is scappy white guys that put the ball in play!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    so now a #4 hitter hitting .228 and .243 with RISP doesn't hurt a team.

I can point these things out and still acknowledge how good justin was for us overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The answer is scappy white guys that put the ball in play!
    I'll take a scrappy black or spanish guy as well. I just don't want guys who swing and miss a lot anymore. Thats not how baseball was played in the past and thats not how its going to be played in the future.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    so now a #4 hitter hitting .228 and .243 with RISP doesn't hurt a team.

I can point these things out and still acknowledge how good justin was for us overall.
    Since when is batting average as important as you are making it? He was 4th among starters in OPS with RISP (and had more RBIs with RISP than anyone else--a SF can affect batting average, and he led the team in those). And you are looking at the raw numbers that include while he was hitting elsewhere in the lineup. What are his RISP numbers solely in the #4 spot?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

No, they werent problems.

As thethe said, Gattis doesnt fit an NL roster. He has injury problems with his back, isnt great defensively which is why he should be traded now while his value is somewhat high.

I personally would have extended Justin but that wasnt to be the case. We've talked about the Heyward stuff for god knows how long and that is what it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Was the Upton donation tax deductible for Liberty?
    Ivermectin Man

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (12-22-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Since when is batting average as important as you are making it? He was 4th among starters in OPS with RISP (and had more RBIs with RISP than anyone else--a SF drops batting average, you know). And you are looking at the raw numbers that include while he was hitting elsewhere in the lineup. What are his RISP numbers solely in the #4 spot?
    I would say batting average is fairly important in regards to RISP, though pretty flukey from yr to yr. Upton was fantastic for us. Very good run producer. But he did K quite a bit with RISP. More than you would like from your best hitter. It's a small chink in the armor of a player who was otherwise fantastic for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I would say batting average is fairly important in regards to RISP, though pretty flukey from yr to yr. Upton was fantastic for us. Very good run producer. But he did K quite a bit with RISP. More than you would like from your best hitter. It's a small chink in the armor of a player who was otherwise fantastic for us.
    It's a misleading stat under these circumstances when you consider that a sacrifice fly can affect batting average.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It's a misleading stat under these circumstances when you consider that a sacrifice fly drops batting average.
    do wut?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    do wut?
    My mistake with the wording. I meant that a sacrifice fly by definition is a player giving up a chance at a hit to drive in a run. If they were selfish, it could mean an extra hit or two. Justin led the team in sacrifice flies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I think the most important thing to look at w/RISP is RBIs per at-bat, and Justin was right there with others considered clutch like Freeman and Heyward (though Stella! was the best).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Well done on changing your posts in time!

Nuttin buh luv fo ya Dalyn!
    Natural Immunity Croc

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (12-22-2014)