Yes we will
    Coppy

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    maybe because the literacy rate is awful?
    i'll gladly defend my city and ask people to back up their opinions.
    In 2015 WalletHub did an aggregate ranking of the 62 largest cities in America. They did it by taking Census Bureau, FBI, CDC, and other organization's stats and ranking each city in a variety of categories. Overall, Philly ranked 60th. In each individual category, this was Philly's rank:

Recreation: 31st
    Diversity: 54th (this accounts for different types of diversity like class, racial, language, and educational diversity. So not just racial.)
    Crime: 47th
    Traffic: 60th
    School System Quality: 48th
    Most/Least Educated Cities: 39th
    % of Healthy Adults: 44th
    Household Income Adjusted By Cost Of Living: 59th
    Job Market: 47th

Its cool that you like your city, but Philly is a pretty terrible place to live in relation to other cities. The two cities that were ranked below were Memphis and Detroit. And as far as literacy goes, the National Center for Education Statistics suggests that 22% of adults in Philadelphia lack basic literacy skills, as compared to around ~15% in Mississippi (albeit that number is WAYYY up in a place like the Delta), so I'd cool your jets on that talking point.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Carp (02-25-2019), salmagundy (02-25-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    it's extremely common for people from the south to talk **** on great northern cities like Philadelphia. just please stay in atlanta, or go to ND where people don't really want to live (for good reason).
    I like plenty of cities in the North. NYC, Pittsburgh, Boston, Virginia Beach, Chicago, all were quite enjoyable. My favorite big city I've traveled to is probably either Salt Lake City or Denver. Philly was one of least enjoyable big cities I've been to. Right up there with Louisville, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Detroit. Boise, ID was pretty uneventful as well, though I was only there for about a day and a half.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (02-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    In 2015 WalletHub did an aggregate ranking of the 62 largest cities in America. They did it by taking Census Bureau, FBI, CDC, and other organization's stats and ranking each city in a variety of categories. Overall, Philly ranked 60th. In each individual category, this was Philly's rank:

Diversity: 54th (this accounts for different types of diversity like class, racial, language, and educational diversity. So not just racial.)

Its cool that you like your city, but Philly is a pretty terrible place to live in relation to other cities. The two cities that were ranked below were Memphis and Detroit. And as far as literacy goes, the National Center for Education Statistics suggests that 22% of adults in Philadelphia lack basic literacy skills, as compared to around ~15% in Mississippi (albeit that number is WAYYY up in a place like the Delta), so I'd cool your jets on that talking point.
    Game, set, and match

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    there's a reason one area is far more densely populated than the other.
    i'm curious what you know about our weather tho..how is it abysmal? compared to the oppressively (bad word choice?) hot weather of most of the south.
    you can take our retirees, tho - they fit in well with the slow, dull, outdated mindsets of the south.
    Is this seriously your argument? That if a place is more densely populated that means that its a better place to live because more people chose to live there?

We better tell that to some of the beautiful small towns in places like Sitka, Alaska or Stowe, Vermont or Camden, Maine. They don't even know how awesome it is living on the south side of Chicago!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I much prefer to be out in spring/fall weather than ridiculously hot and humid weather. speaking of sloth, why are people in the south so fat and unhealthy? you wanna compare those metrics?

use any excuse you like. more people are willing to pay more to live in a more crowded area for a reason.

speaking of your last couple sentences, tho, i know facts don't mean much in the south. so nothing i said above will move your needle.
    The one point that I personally agree with is that I hate weather in the south. I'm just not a fan of hot, humid weather. That's a pretty subjective thing, though, that varies from person to person. As far as your whole "More people = Better" argument, its pretty ridiculous. I guarantee you that a ton of people would move out of Philadelphia in a heartbeat if they had an opportunity to move to somewhere like Breckenridge, Colorado or Carmel-by-the Sea or any number of idyllic small towns like that (not all of them being as exclusive as those two).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (02-25-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You hate southerners and the elderly. You seem like a great guy
    It's like he's from Philly or something.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Wonder if Zach Granite holds any appeal as a 4th OF for AA - would keep Acuna on either corner full-time, similar skill-set as Pache's presently.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Will you people bicker about anything?
    with the way this offseason has gone? absolutely.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

Mississippi is one of the worst educated states in the country...also one of the fattest...also one of the ****tiest as far as quality of life. the south as a whole is, objectively, worse in those categories than the north as a whole. why would you compare a whole state to a city, anyway?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    The one point that I personally agree with is that I hate weather in the south. I'm just not a fan of hot, humid weather. That's a pretty subjective thing, though, that varies from person to person. As far as your whole "More people = Better" argument, its pretty ridiculous. I guarantee you that a ton of people would move out of Philadelphia in a heartbeat if they had an opportunity to move to somewhere like Breckenridge, Colorado or Carmel-by-the Sea or any number of idyllic small towns like that (not all of them being as exclusive as those two).
    there are tons of great small towns/suburbs by philly and yet people who could easily afford to move (myself included) choose not to.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

i'd also heavily question at least that traffic metric. LA and NY, having been to both a fair amount, are both easily worse traffic-wise.
    can you link to this study, tho? i'd like to see what cities and methods are used. comparing a city like philadelphia to much smaller cities is pretty dumb.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    i've lived in philly for years and 0 people i know have ever had that happen and i've never seen it. someone is lying.
    It happened

Now you've met one person it happened to. There were others. I observed it.

I've no reason to lie. Every big City has its warts.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    looks like they did this in 2018. philly was 49th overall, 14th for quality of life.
    they also have atlanta ranked over LA which is just.........yeah, grain of salt and all that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    It happened

Now you've met one person it happened to. There were others. I observed it.

I've no reason to lie. Every big City has its warts.
    right, sure. this definitely happened.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    looking at the cities ranked in 2018.
    raleigh has 475,000 people. philadelphia has 1.5 million. pittsburgh has 302,000.
    i think comparing cities with that drastic of population differences is tough

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    looking at the cities ranked in 2018.
    raleigh has 475,000 people. philadelphia has 1.5 million. pittsburgh has 302,000.
    i think comparing cities with that drastic of population differences is tough
    Wait, I thought that if more people lived somewhere then that obviously meant that place must be better, right?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    People generally gravitate to the comfort of the area of their birth. It's what they know. It's where the people that they know (and sometimes love) are located. Any viewpoint of a City has to pass through the filter of your bias as well as the filter of what you've heard.

Things like:

If you break down in East St. Louis you'll end up dead

or

Detroit is worse than Beirut

or

East LA is nothing but MS 13

or

Never park your car at the end of a MARTA line

all likely have some truth to them.

Bottom line for me is that an athlete views his potential location through that lense but also views it through an economic lense where real estate costs, City and State taxes, etc. play a huge part. They really make so much money that they could live a nomadic existence if they wanted. But they also make so much money that a huge amount of it could go away due to taxes if they aren't careful.

Without getting political, the new tax law eliminates the ability to write off the majority of State and local taxes when doing Federal taxes. Areas that have high State and local taxes are going to be affected by this throughout the percent of population that actually pays taxes, from top to bottom. You're already seeing people say that they are getting less back on their tax returns. I think that is because those people are learning that the deductions rule has changed. As that happens, more and more will move to areas with lower/no State tax which will, over time, change the entire economic dynamics of the Country. If Harper signs a $35M per year deal in Philadelphia (and the State and local tax, plus other taxes are 10+% ...IDK what the actual rate is, I'm making a point) then he could pay $3.5M each year and not be able to write it off his Federal taxes. But the same can be said for lots of places with high tax rates. My guess is that the Texas clubs will see the biggest benefit from this if any do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

which rankings are you looking at

I'm looking at these

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...live-in/14358/

they have cleveland at 60, memphis 61, detroit 62....philly is 49
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."