Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two Scenarios

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Projections for Markakis are fairly pessimistic, imo. He's been a 2 WAR player practically every yr aside from 2013 (was pacing for 2.5 WAR in 2012 before the injury).
    That's what happens when you are on the wrong side of 30 and was average at best in your prime.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (12-04-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Projections for Markakis are fairly pessimistic, imo. He's been a 2 WAR player practically every yr aside from 2013 (was pacing for 2.5 WAR in 2012 before the injury).
    And he's guess what, old. He's over 30, guys dont't usually turn it on in their 30s. Unless you're Ichiro you usually don't age that well. Even Ichiro started bottoming out once the 30s rolled around.

Speakign of which, why didn't we go after Ichiro? I mean I'm sure he'll sign in a bigger market, which is what he'd want. But what the hell he's coming up on 3000 hits offer him 2/15 or something to get him here. Maybe we can plant a few asses in the seats when he gets close to 3000.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Just wanted to chime in and say how much I enjoyed reading each and every one of your opinions on this tricky situation. This is how all the discussions on this site should go with everyone being open to other's take and opinion on the same matter. For instance, [MENTION=89]nsacpi[/MENTION] -who is the original thread creator- gave a detailed opinion and when someone else countered that and gave another outlook, he admitted he didn't think of that, acknowledged the posters opinion, and then continued to add on to his original post as well as the other opinions. Instead of saying that his way was the only and right way. There are so many different views to every topic and this is the prime example, and such a fun thread to read. Nice job to all.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    What if there is actually a THIRD scenario?

<MIND BLOWN>
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-04-2014), Julio3000 (12-05-2014), thewupk (12-05-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    And he's guess what, old. He's over 30, guys dont't usually turn it on in their 30s. Unless you're Ichiro you usually don't age that well. Even Ichiro started bottoming out once the 30s rolled around.

Speakign of which, why didn't we go after Ichiro? I mean I'm sure he'll sign in a bigger market, which is what he'd want. But what the hell he's coming up on 3000 hits offer him 2/15 or something to get him here. Maybe we can plant a few asses in the seats when he gets close to 3000.
    He doesn't have to "turn it on." He's been a good hitter for 9 years now. It stands to assume that he might continue being a good hitter for awhile longer.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That's what happens when you are on the wrong side of 30 and was average at best in your prime.
    Average at best players have .350 OBP's. Wish we had more of those players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I'm 32, and so passed my prime!
    Last edited by Tapate50; 12-04-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    One stat.

Markakis was good offensively overall (112 wRC+) but that's not exceptional for a RF. The "disappointing" Heyward has a career 117 wRC+

Markakis once looked like one of the best RFers in the game, then the bottom dropped out. from 2009 on he's floated from good to terrible.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    Just wanted to chime in and say how much I enjoyed reading each and every one of your opinions on this tricky situation. This is how all the discussions on this site should go with everyone being open to other's take and opinion on the same matter. For instance, [MENTION=89]nsacpi[/MENTION] -who is the original thread creator- gave a detailed opinion and when someone else countered that and gave another outlook, he admitted he didn't think of that, acknowledged the posters opinion, and then continued to add on to his original post as well as the other opinions. Instead of saying that his way was the only and right way. There are so many different views to every topic and this is the prime example, and such a fun thread to read. Nice job to all.
    Exactly. A breath of fresh air compared to all the arrogance and egos in most every thread.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The WRC+ for right field since 2009 is 105. Markakis has a WRC+ of 107 since 2009. And I've already mentioned how I think he has average at best defense. To me that screms average player despite what his OBP is. Camden Yards is a hitters park so his OBP is going to get a boost anyways. In fact almost the entire AL East (where he plays 2/3's of his games) is hitter friendly.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    What if there is actually a THIRD scenario?
    Imagine this:

It's Opening Day, and Nick Markakis steps to home plate for the first time as an Atlanta Brave. The stadium is filled to 50% capacity, but the crowd manages a semi-rousing 'welcome to Atlanta' ovation. Markakis tips his helmet, digs in, breathes, but suddenly flips his hand back to the umpire indicating his desire for a time-out. It's granted. He steps back and suddenly inexplicably starts clawing his face, tearing skin and hair off -- the sight is gruesome, Fredi Gonzalez weeps ... but suddenly, from under the bits of superficial flesh emerges JASON HEYWARD!

"I knew this was the only way my agent, who was trying to negotiate a $250MM deal apparently completely behind my back, would ever allow me to sign with Atlanta. So I killed Nick Markakis and slipped into his exoderm for a few months. NOW WHAT KIND OF BARGAIN AM I?"

And the Braves lived happily ever after, for four years.

The end.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

zitothebrave (12-05-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Did I say that? Not at all. My attitude is I can learn from anyone. So please present your argument.
    Didn't mean to come off how it probably sounded. I just don't get the fascination with this made up stat. Great OP though. I am just don't care for these advanced stats. That's all.

Sorry for being a dick.