Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sniffing around on Yelich, Realmuto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Plus, we will still probably at least have an average farm system after that... we can spend the next 2 years working to build it back up while still competing.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Again, to me we are just one year too soon from making a mega trade. Julio will be traded this year. Newcomb and fried ...we still don’t really know what we have and this will be a make of break year for Folty. Gohara is the only pitcher most of us feel confident about. We have a ton of pitching behind those guys and if we play our cards right at the deadline, we can add the right MLB or high prospect outfielder. Will he be the same as Yelich...no. We will keep our farm in tact going forward though with a ton of room in the budget next year. 2019 is THE year. The pitchers should (or not) pan out. Prospect like Pache and Waters should be giving us a good idea by then as to if we even need “that” outfielder. We will not contend this year and I’m ok with that. Waiting that one extra year could payoff huge in say 2022 and on.
    i agree it's too soon. But you don't know if you'll have that trade next year.

Some have argued that a big piece will be available every year. I'm not sure that is true. And you never know if it will fit that position.

I think you have to go for Yelich. But I do not think you have to get him. If they want market value or more then you say no. If they will give us a deal then you have to be aggressive.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The thought of having the number 2 or 3 offensive catcher in all of baseball who can also steal bases (and under 30 and who's become a very good framer), plus Yelich's speed to add to Acuna/Inciarte/Albies speed plus Freeman/Acuna/Yelich/Realmuto power is definitely intriguing. If you can add a veteran starter or two plus plug Donaldson in at 3rd in the next two years.... all the sudden we can be a very good team.
    It would be interesting to see what the Braves could get for Flowers or Suzuki if they did trade for Realmuto. I wonder if either would go back in a deal. Both are signed for really cheap, but not sure the Marlins would want salary back. It seems they would have to trade one or both since Realmuto would likely become the regular catcher. It's weird to think about trading for Realmuto when the Braves got 5 WAR out of their catching duo.
    Last edited by Orphan Black; 01-04-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    i agree it's too soon. But you don't know if you'll have that trade next year.

Some have argued that a big piece will be available every year. I'm not sure that is true. And you never know if it will fit that position.

I think you have to go for Yelich. But I do not think you have to get him. If they want market value or more then you say no. If they will give us a deal then you have to be aggressive.
    i'm confused why would the Marlins give the Braves a deal on him? Seems like if you are going to go for him you have to be willing to pay market value for him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Amazing that O’Dowd was ever employed by an organization. We would rename the stadium after Anthopoulos if the Marlins actually accepted this deal.

https://twitter.com/baldheaded1der/s...28949228707840

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Amazing that O’Dowd was ever employed by an organization. We would rename the stadium after Anthopoulos if the Marlins actually accepted this deal.

I’m yes please!
    Get off my lawn!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2018), The Chosen One (01-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

the Marlins would be the laughing stock of baseball if they accept this... but YES FREAKING PLEASE

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

That has the Braves adding about $40M in 2018 payroll.

The fact O'Dowd comes up with proposals like this without researching the payroll constraints of the teams involved is why he will never again been employed by an MLB team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I can't help but think that if we did a trade with the Marlins for Yelich and/or Realmuto, that Swanson would be included in the deal. For those in the know, where exactly does his value stand at this point?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I can't help but think that if we did a trade with the Marlins for Yelich and/or Realmuto, that Swanson would be included in the deal. For those in the know, where exactly does his value stand at this point?
    Not high enough for him to be the central piece in a deal. I think trading Swanson right now would be foolish. His value is as low as it has ever been and there is still a reasonable expectation that he could turn it around. Not saying that he will, but I think the odds that he does far outweigh the value he might have if included in a trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    the Marlins would be the laughing stock of baseball if they accept this... but YES FREAKING PLEASE
    Marlins are already the laughing stock of baseball.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-04-2018), clvclv (01-04-2018), JohnAdcox (01-04-2018), thewupk (01-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

The fact O'Dowd comes up with proposals like this without researching the payroll constraints of the teams involved is why he will never again been employed by an MLB team.
    Remember when JS really wanted O’Dowd as the next GM?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (01-04-2018), thewupk (01-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Remember when JS really wanted O’Dowd as the next GM?
    I don't think most fans appreciate just how fortunate the Braves organization is that the adults from Liberty stepped in and effectively removed the old dinosaurs from power.

Getting AA as GM was truly the best possible realistic outcome we could have hoped for.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-04-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Well...yes and no. They would obviously trade Nick (11 mil and Flowers gone 4 mil). I would assume they trade Julio (9 mil). That’s 24 million. I would be fine with that trade. I would rather go afte Yelich by himself though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts

To be fair, he works in the media now. He has us discussing his deal now, which is exactly what a media guy wants.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Well...yes and no. They would obviously trade Nick (11 mil and Flowers gone 4 mil). I would assume they trade Julio (9 mil). That’s 24 million. I would be fine with that trade. I would rather go afte Yelich by himself though.
    How much sense does it make to go out and make a trade for Yelich and Realmuto, and then trade Julio? I think you would have to be absolutely convinced that Julio doesn't have much left in the tank. But even after making those trades, the Braves would still be adding over 20 million to their payroll which I just don't think is going to happen. I think the taking on big contracts ship has sailed. If we want Yelich and Realmuto, I think it is going to cost us prospects. And likely a whole lot of them. And no I don't think any MLB pieces like Ender will be going back to the Marlins. I wouldn't want MLB pieces if I were them. They have obviously set themselves up for a long rebuild. Taking on MLB pieces is just poor value allocation.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    We have a really good farm system and it will really hurt it to acquire one of these 2. Considering this, how many teams even have the pieces to get them and would be willing to do it? If there are not many teams with the pieces to acquire them, could it help our position?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    How much sense does it make to go out and make a trade for Yelich and Realmuto, and then trade Julio? I think you would have to be absolutely convinced that Julio doesn't have much left in the tank. But even after making those trades, the Braves would still be adding over 20 million to their payroll which I just don't think is going to happen. I think the taking on big contracts ship has sailed. If we want Yelich and Realmuto, I think it is going to cost us prospects. And likely a whole lot of them. And no I don't think any MLB pieces like Ender will be going back to the Marlins. I wouldn't want MLB pieces if I were them. They have obviously set themselves up for a long rebuild. Taking on MLB pieces is just poor value allocation.
    I agree with this...I think it would take 6-8 of our top 30 prospects to get both. I would say 2 top 10, 2 from 11 to 20 and 2-4 from 21-30. It might even take 3 top 10, 3 from 11-20 and 2 from 20-30.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    If the Braves get Yelich, Realmuto and bad contracts they will likely have to trade Flowers, Teheran, and Markakis just to have any chance of fitting all the new players on the roster and payroll. The return for Teheran would help offset the prospect cost in acquiring Yelich.

There are plausible ways to get Yelich in a Braves uniform, but the amount of moving parts to make it happen are staggering. Considering there are about 5-6 weeks left until pitchers and catcher report, that's a LOT to get done in a very short amount of time.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Always amusing to read expert commentary about "what it would take" to get x player. Seriously is anybody here really that connected to know what other teams have and are offering? Until you know that, don't default that acquiring Yelich is equivalent of emptying the farm system.
    No but it's not hard to figure these things out based on the surplus value of players. Some continue to mock it but they keep adding up time after time in trades. Do we know the exact names of players being discussed or what would eventually go down? No. But we do know the type of value the Braves would need to give up in certain situations. So as enscheff listed those names earlier pick and choose what you think the Fish value the most to get the desired amount. It's really not that complicated.