Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Baseball America Top 100 Released

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I am honestly more excited about Waters (until I actually see Pache hit). When/if he does though...look out!!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I am honestly more excited about Waters (until I actually see Pache hit). When/if he does though...look out!!
    Klaw loves Pache and thinks he'll hit.

Klaw's write up for Waters said that scouts told him Waters "can't hit."

Fun will SSS for 18 and 19 y/o.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The point isn't whether Pache is projected to be a bad hitter or not. It's that it's crazy to say his absolute floor is a below average major league hitter. That's not his floor. His floor is going full on Andy Marte or any other prospect that completely busts at the plate.
    I see your point.... using the correct precise language when talking about these guys is important since people dissect everything these guys say. You may be correct that Kiley's language is not precise enough.

I also like thethe's point. The evidence to date does not suggest that Pache is likely to be a bust as a hitter. Of course every young guy has that chance, hence the Andy Marte example. A guy who projects to be awesome defensively and average offensively is worth getting excited about... especially if the only thing we are arguing about is the appropriate use of the word "floor."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I see your point.... using the correct precise language when talking about these guys is important since people dissect everything these guys say. You may be correct that Kiley's language is not precise enough.

I also like thethe's point. The evidence to date does not suggest that Pache is likely to be a bust as a hitter. Of course every young guy has that chance, hence the Andy Marte example. A guy who projects to be awesome defensively and average offensively is worth getting excited about... especially if the only thing we are arguing about is the appropriate use of the word "floor."
    When someone says a prospect's floor is a 10 win player over his pre-arb years, that's a pretty big deal, and is no longer a matter of semantics or "precise language". No dissection of his comments was required.

It wasn't just some passing comment he made in 10 seconds in a chat. He has stated this multiple times now with no hedging whatsoever. Kiley truly thinks Pache's worst-case scenario is Kevin Pillar. It is a stupid thing to say about a 19 year old in Low-A ball.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-01-2018 at 02:00 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    When someone says a prospect's floor is a 10 win player over his pre-arb years, that's a pretty big deal, and is no longer a matter of semantics or "precise language". No dissection of his comments was required.

It wasn't just some passing comment he made in 10 seconds in a chat. He has stated this multiple times now with no hedging whatsoever. Kiley truly thinks Pache's worst-case scenario is Kevin Pillar. It is a stupid thing to say about a 19 year old in Low-A ball.
    It probably is, yes. He evidently thinks Pache's defense and athleticism is basically Pillar-level right now, and he thinks his floor offensively is a guy who hovers around a .700 OPS.

That is likely hyperbole and bias, but who the heck really knows. If he turns out to be at least that good, it will be hard in hindsight to say he was wrong.

I do not, however, myself think that is Pache's floor. I think his floor is basically a defensive replacement. I do think he is a virtual lock to make the majors in some role.