Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Renfroe

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The issue isn’t Renfroe. The issue is the Braves punted 2018 so they could have a lot of money in 2019 to fix 3b and LF. If those fixes are going to be Riley and Renfroe, why did they punt 2018?

I’m hoping they have their sites set much higher for 2019.
    True. But if you can snag a potential piece that might appreciate why not. Worse case is you release him once arbitration starts. Best case you have a good hitter.
    Coppy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Evad (02-19-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Get that guy from Crystal Springs

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    True. But if you can snag a potential piece that might appreciate why not. Worse case is you release him once arbitration starts. Best case you have a good hitter.
    He's probably better than lane Adams or what's his name we picked up from Astros.

If he costs nothing sure. Get him. Why not?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    This board has certainly become enamored with low-OBP options for LF. First it was Duvall, then it was a guy I can't remember right now, and now Renfroe.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (02-20-2018), JohnAdcox (02-20-2018), The Chosen One (02-20-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    This board has certainly become enamored with low-OBP options for LF. First it was Duvall, then it was a guy I can't remember right now, and now Renfroe.
    Somewhere Francoeur has a smile on his face

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-20-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    If you're buying into the "new math", power has to come from somewhere at the expense of something.

Who other than Freeman - and Acuna when he's here for good - does anyone think has a realistic shot at hitting more than 20 bombs in a season? Camargo? Dansby? Flowers?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If you're buying into the "new math", power has to come from somewhere at the expense of something.

Who other than Freeman - and Acuna when he's here for good - does anyone think has a realistic shot at hitting more than 20 bombs in a season? Camargo? Dansby? Flowers?
    a bad player is a bad player regardless of how many homers they hit. renfroe isn't particularly young, has never shown on-base ability, isn't a good defender...i just don't see the appeal in him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I don't think anyone other than Freeman will. Which is why when we eventually go shopping for a left fielder and third baseman I expect us to put some emphasis on guys with power.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-20-2018), Jaw (02-20-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

I don't disagree. This team truly lacks power and guys like Duvall and Renfroe can provide that. It's a risk/reward thing. You can give up some on OBP for a higher SLG with a couple of guys. But the guys we've been talking about are real hit-or-miss guys (literally).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-20-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    a bad player is a bad player regardless of how many homers they hit. renfroe isn't particularly young, has never shown on-base ability, isn't a good defender...i just don't see the appeal in him.
    You're right. Getting power for the sake of power is pointless if the guy is a bad defender and doesn't do much else offensively. We literally just had a player like this in Kemp. Now there comes a point where guys like this might make sense if they are averagish and can be role players on the team. Their market value has collapsed for obvious reasons and wouldn't be expensive to acquire. However the Braves currently don't need averagish players in LF or 3B going forward. They need impact players and will have money/prospect capital to get that done.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You're right. Getting power for the sake of power is pointless if the guy is a bad defender and doesn't do much else offensively. We literally just had a player like this in Kemp. Now there comes a point where guys like this might make sense if they are averagish and can be role players on the team. Their market value has collapsed for obvious reasons and wouldn't be expensive to acquire. However the Braves currently don't need averagish players in LF or 3B going forward. They need impact players and will have money/prospect capital to get that done.
    Well, Renfroe definitely isn't Kemp. He actually has good speed and a killer arm, so it's surprising to me that he isn't at least average defensively. But there is hope there for some improvement, and he does offer you some things, on the bases as well. He's not just power. But he has to hit much better than last year to be worth too much.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-20-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Well, Renfroe definitely isn't Kemp. He actually has good speed and a killer arm, so it's surprising to me that he isn't at least average defensively. But there is hope there for some improvement, and he does offer you some things, on the bases as well. He's not just power. But he has to hit much better than last year to be worth too much.
    No he doesn't have the exact same profile as Kemp but he fits the generalization. High power, low OBP, poor defense. Now the defense isn't the same level of bad as Kemp but he's not going to help you out there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    No he doesn't have the exact same profile as Kemp but he fits the generalization. High power, low OBP, poor defense. Now the defense isn't the same level of bad as Kemp but he's not going to help you out there.
    His defensive metrics are truly confusing to me. He has tons of athleticism and good speed for someone his size, and his defense seemed to be really good in college, to the extent that he played some CF. And the scouting reports on him coming out of the minors were that he could provide good value defensively. And his arm is truly special. It's just strange to me that his range seems so limited.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    His defensive metrics are truly confusing to me. He has tons of athleticism and good speed for someone his size, and his defense seemed to be really good in college, to the extent that he played some CF. And the scouting reports on him coming out of the minors were that he could provide good value defensively. And his arm is truly special. It's just strange to me that his range seems so limited.
    Probably routes. His arm will keep him from being kemp for several years alone. I liked his hit profile out of the minors. He is worth taking a flyer on IMO.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't disagree. This team truly lacks power and guys like Duvall and Renfroe can provide that. It's a risk/reward thing. You can give up some on OBP for a higher SLG with a couple of guys. But the guys we've been talking about are real hit-or-miss guys (literally).
    That's kinda the point of taking a shot at a guy like Renfroe or Dickerson for me - assuming the acquisition cost is palatable of course. Both have the type of upside you'd like to see (more than any other corner guys in the organization anyway), so why not take a shot? Maybe they explode and Riley turns into what everyone hopes (whether you're buying him right now or not) and you don't need to go outside the organization again and you can keep all the arms.

Obviously that's best-case scenario and pie-in-the-sky optimism, but what can it hurt for 2018?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Evad (02-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Probably routes. His arm will keep him from being kemp for several years alone. I liked his hit profile out of the minors. He is worth taking a flyer on IMO.
    Routes seem like the one thing you can actually improve in regard to defense, no? Seems like it's possible he improves his defensive ability.

Of course, his athleticism will eventually start to drop off even if his routes improve, so he probably won't ever be much out there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    what would you all be willing to give up for Renfroe?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    what would you all be willing to give up for Renfroe?
    Sam Freeman. Sims. Blair. Wisler.

SD is looking to push towards competitiveness, so I expect them to be looking for MLB contributors (or very close) in the return for Renfroe. The Braves have some spare arms they could give up. I am not high on Fried or Newk, but I would not trade them for Renfroe...well, maybe I would...but probably not...which means one of those guys is likely fair for Renfroe.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-20-2018 at 12:28 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Sam Freeman. Sims. Blair. Wisler.

SD is looking to push towards competitiveness, so I expect them to be looking for MLB contributors (or very close) in the return for Renfroe. The Braves have some spare arms they could give up. I am not high on Fried or Newk, but I would not trade them for Renfroe...well, maybe I would...but probably not...which means one of those guys is likely fair for Renfroe.
    Ok, I'd easily give up one of those 4 for Renfroe. Fried or Newk is a no way from me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Ok, I'd easily give up one of those 4 for Renfroe. Fried or Newk is a no way from me.
    Renfroe is pretty much the hitter version of Newk...some loud carrying tools, but enough questions about the core skill (hit and control) that the other tools may never be able to be applied.

The fact we lean no means it's probably fair.