Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Uggla, Tommy La Stella

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The logic is trying to salvage a couple of million dollars from Ugglas remaining contract. its not going to happen. Lets get a better player in there everyday. The team has enough all or nothing bats. At least most of the others are good defensive players.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I dunno man, Dan seems like one of those guys who is really well liked in the clubhouse, but I'm just guessing based on body language and stuff. You saw how upset the team was when Freddy Garcia was cut, and he was here what, 6 months?
    I am sure Freeman would hate it for his pal Uggla as would his other teammates. But I don't see that effecting Freeman's play on the field. Also, I agree that the team was upset about Garcia but that too hasn't hurt us one bit. I am sure they miss Reed Johnson, Mac, and Huddy among others too. But MLB is a business and they know how often players change teams. They understand that in other words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The logic is trying to salvage a couple of million dollars from Ugglas remaining contract. its not going to happen. Lets get a better player in there everyday. The team has enough all or nothing bats. At least most of the others are good defensive players.
    We'll have to face it that Uggla is a sunk cost and simply move on eventually, IMO. I hope it's sooner rather later for Pastornicky and La Stella's sake.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    The yanks need starting pitching. Uggla just might be the missing ingredient for them.
    Forever Fredi

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (04-27-2014), thethe (04-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    We'll have to face it that Uggla is a sunk cost and simply move on eventually, IMO. I hope it's sooner rather later for Pastornicky and La Stella's sake.
    Uggla needs to be a man if it happens. He can still be a valueable guy on the bench if he is willing to accept that role for this season. But its time...lets get another bat in this lineup. If TLS could get on base at a 35% cliip it would do wonders for this lineup.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The biggest problem with Uggla is he like alot of our bats (BJ/Gattis, etc)

They are all or nothing.

We need some grinders who work counts, vs the top pitchers instead of K on 3 or 4 pitches.

Maybe it's a fluke with Tommy but Uggla is what he is, it's time for change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The Indiana Pacers traded off Danny Granger for the same reason and got an on paper better player (Evan Turner). Their season has made a turn for the worse since then. Only proving teams can tinker too much. If it is working -- dont mess with it. According to the record, Uggla at 2B is working

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,901 Posts
    Speaks to how strong this team could be that we are winning a plunk ton of games with two black holes in the lineup .

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The Indiana Pacers traded off Danny Granger for the same reason and got an on paper better player (Evan Turner). Their season has made a turn for the worse since then. Only proving teams can tinker too much. If it is working -- dont mess with it. According to the record, Uggla at 2B is working
    Granger isnt why the Pacers have been struggling, thats not true.

If we traded/cut/benched Uggla, it wouldnt have THAT big of an effect. I've supported Uggla, but it's time for change, he's cost us at least 1 game in the field, maybe more.

Minus the big homer vs Philly, he hasnt done much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Chemistry in basketball is a whole different discussion. Baseball is an individual sport.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I'm ready for Uggla to be dethroned and replaced by TLS, just so we can all watch La Stella languish in mediocrity for a few months before considering real alternatives at the position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    Look, at one point or another this season, LaStella will be our 2B...it's time some of you accept that and slide off of Dan's knob and join the party.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm ready for Uggla to be dethroned and replaced by TLS, just so we can all watch La Stella languish in mediocrity for a few months before considering real alternatives at the position.
    Even if that happened, that's still better than what Uggla is.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Even if that happened, that's still better than what Uggla is.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    I am not saying just give the job to La Stella, I'd give Pastornicky his shot at it first. Then depending on how he did maybe platoon them at second. I figure between Pastornicky, Pena and La Stella we should be okay on options. It's not like Uggla is giving us anything to speak of but bad on offense and defense (minus one game vs Philly).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-29-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I am not saying just give the job to La Stella, I'd give Pastornicky his shot at it first. Then depending on how he did maybe platoon them at second. I figure between Pastornicky, Pena and La Stella we should be okay on options. It's not like Uggla is giving us anything to speak of but bad on offense and defense (minus one game vs Philly).
    I wouldn't be opposed to healthy competition between those three -- sounds similar to the revolving door the team experimented with in the early 00's (Veras/Lockhart/Sanchez/Giles/DeRosa) ... although to me, this season especially, we need a decent glove over there (which just happens to be La Stella's achilles heel). I think Pastornicky would pleasantly surprise many, perhaps having forgotten that he was a serviceable starting SS just a few years ago.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You do not bat TLS at 1 t move Jason to 6. That's an epic failure. At the very least you should have switched Heyward and Gattis. But if you have TLS you got either

TLS, Heyward Freddie Justin or TLS, Heyward, Justin Freddie or TLS Justin Freddie Heyward

If you have a top 4 that has Justin, Jason, or Freddie outside of it (and especially if they're not hitting 5 at the lowest) the lineup is a failure.

Personally I'd make the lineup go

Jason
    Justin
    Freddie
    Gattis
    TLS
    Johnson
    Simmons
    P
    Bossman
    Yeah, hit LaStella fifth. Brilliant.

I don't know what kind of advanced saber calculus got you there, Zito, but the guy who gets on base goes at the top.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    If we can find someone dumb enough to take him, where we pay at least half his salary and probably more, he's staying in the lineup.
    We're past the point of trying to find a trade partner. Uggla deserved to be given a shot this year but it's late April and he looks as bad as ever. It's time to cut our losses and just release him. We've got a great team this year and La Stella is the type of bat this team really needs. It needs to happen soon but I doubt it will.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    I'm kind of inclined to go the other way. I think Pastor would be adequate at 2B, but I would like to see if LaStella could be a real upgrade - a very high OBP, working counts, seeing a lot of pitches - all of which are important functions our all-or-nothing lineup does not perform (whoa, did Mark Bowman write that?).

What we don't do well is manufacture runs. We might have seven guys with 20+ bombs, win 95+ and go cold again. I think it'd be nice to have some small ball going. I think Tommy would be useful there and seeing pitches.

Jason wasn't ever a lead off hitter. You waste his power. He was just the guy who made the most sense. Bring Tommy up and see if it's an upgrade; if he falls flat, give it to Pastornicky. But I don't think he will.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Sorry I just completely disagree. We have a long term internal replacement that's ready. Maybe if we didn't have an internal option I would give him a little more time but it makes no sense. Cut our losses.