Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 DRAFT LIST AND SIGNINGS

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    No one said good players don’t sign for cheap. But at the end of the day, everyone prioritizes the big money guys for a reason.
    And I didn't say many don't also get huge bonuses - these are simply examples.

The point is that it's hard to wind up with flops when you don't go quite so overboard when signing 16 year old kids.

Kevin Maitan anyone???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Stewart's Twitter page has been disabled FWIW.
    I still see it active. The latest tweet is from when he was drafted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    At the end of the day we'll probably never know the true story, whether we gave a serious low ball offer with little reason to do so, or if the injury was a legit concern. We'll still get a premium talent next year, so it's not like we lose out altogether, but it's still never fun to not sign your first round pick.
    Why would we draft him if we intended to low ball him and him not sign? I don’t like Coppy but something tells me he would have made it happen.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I still see it active. The latest tweet is from when he was drafted.
    That's what was on there last time I looked as well, but that was probably a week or more ago.

Must just be on my end.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Some good news:

QFNP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2018)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Why would we draft him if we intended to low ball him and him not sign? I don’t like Coppy but something tells me he would have made it happen.
    Making things happen is why Coppy is banned from baseball.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Because we didn't have the medical reports prior to drafting him????

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    It’s amusing that people have decided the kid’s wrist doesn’t work any more. I guess we will find out soon enough.

I’ve never heard of disabling wrist injuries in a pitcher nor of any great prevalence of them around curve ballers. Is that actually a thing?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    He didn't have to take a physical BEFORE the draft. He did before he'd get paid.

The Braves had no idea how serious/not serious the wrist injury was prior to drafting him. Their medical staff didn't get to examine him or his records until it was time to decide how much to offer him.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Yeah, but I’m guessing if we gave Stewart a car they might catch on pretty quickly this time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (07-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We drafted and signed Allard with a legit bad back injury that everybody knew of before the draft and that’s turned out ok to this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Per Jon Heyman it's official we didn't sign him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    His wrist must be worse than we’ve heard. Hopefully we hear the full story. If Stewart sucks in college then he will kick himself forever for not taking the 2 million or more he was offered.
    Because our GM isn’t known for losing high schoolers in the draft unless they are seriously injured without it ever having been noticed by anyone?

Who is reporting he was offered 40%.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    We drafted and signed Allard with a legit bad back injury that everybody knew of before the draft and that’s turned out ok to this point.
    Apparently his "bad back injury" didn't scare the medical staff nearly as badly as Stewart's wrist problem.

How hard is it to understand that they apparently REALLY didn't like what they found out after they got to actually look at him and his medical history.

Allard provided the Braves' medical staff everything they wanted to see BEFORE he was picked - he didn't hide anything. Stewart's camp gave no information ahead of the draft.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Allard also signed for $3.042 million amid his health concerns.

Most reports have seemed to point to the assumption that if Stewart would have accepted $2-$3 million they'd have given it to him.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    So, higher probability that we will pick a bat with the 9 pick next year to avoid a similar pitcher scenario? I'm mostly ok with this situation since we'll have that pick.

However, it's worrisome to me that AA has yet ANOTHER example now to add to his abnormally bad record of not signing his top draft picks. Once or twice, okaaay....but what is this, the fifth occurrence in 10 years or whatever? That screams to me that the fault lies with AA somehow, not the draftees.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (07-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Apparently his "bad back injury" didn't scare the medical staff nearly as badly as Stewart's wrist problem.

How hard is it to understand that they apparently REALLY didn't like what they found out after they got to actually look at him and his medical history.

Allard provided the Braves' medical staff everything they wanted to see BEFORE he was picked - he didn't hide anything. Stewart's camp gave no information ahead of the draft.
    I’d take a guy with a wrist injury over a guy with a back injury any day. Regardless, the ball was dropped here. Hopefully it doesn’t come back to bite us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    So, higher probability that we will pick a bat with the 9 pick next year to avoid a similar pitcher scenario? I'm mostly ok with this situation since we'll have that pick.

However, it's worrisome to me that AA has yet ANOTHER example now to add to his abnormally bad record of not signing his top draft picks. Once or twice, okaaay....but what is this, the fifth occurrence in 10 years or whatever? That screams to me that the fault lies with AA somehow, not the draftees.
    Agreed. This seems like a drafter problem. It’s happened way to many times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    No one said good players don’t sign for cheap. But at the end of the day, everyone prioritizes the big money guys for a reason.
    Actually starting to think the odds are better for cheap guys.... here are some of the bigger/most hyped international prospects... a few really good ones, and most busts

Carlos Martinez (very good pitcher with TOR potential)
    Sano (shown real glimpses - has not arrived closed to the hype yet)
    Vlad (HOFer_
    Miggy (HOFer)
    Ichiro (obviously was a star)
    Jose Abreu (uneven performance, one dimensional player, $10 million bonus)
    Gary Sanchez (good player... health issues? struggling now)
    Puig (obviously has talent, but we all know the issues)
    Moncada (struggling mighty hard for the best international prospect ever)
    Eloy (too early to say but early returns look good)
    Michael Ynoa (lol)
    Adonys Cardona
    Luis Heredia
    Yoan Lopez (too early to say, but $8 million bonus for a reliever prospect is a little nuts)
    Hechavarria (solid career I guess, unspectacular)
    Leslie Anderson (huge bust)
    Rusney Castillo (lol)
    Yasmay Tomas ($14 million signing bonus!)
    Yunesky Maya

A few current high dollar Cuban prospects, jury still out (funny the best of these are the two cheapest):
    Yusniel Diaz (decent prospect, but $16 million good??)
    Luis Robert (hasn't done much as a 20 year old with a combined A and A+ OPS this year of .734 OPS... $26 million...)
    Morejon (solid prospect)
    Michael Baez (very good prospect)
    Yordon Alvarez (very good prospect)
    Yadier Alvarez (still early but has disappointed)
    Maitan (yeah...)

Then you have all the Asian busts:
    Kaz Matsui
    Irabu
    Kei Igawa
    Dice-K (lets face it, he sucked hard after he was figured out)
    Fukudome

Compare that with just a small sampling of guys singed $100k and under:
    Inciarte
    Acuna
    Albies
    Nelson Cruz
    Starlin Castro
    Ozuna
    Jose Ramirez
    Jansen
    Schoop
    Cano
    Salvador Perez

So after doing some research... obviously I'd like to sign the high dollar guys if possible, but I feel like you're spending a ton of money and the percentage of these high dollar guys actually working out looks pretty small. Yet, there are tons of stars who on one had ever heard of when they were signed. We very well could have one or more of those in the DSL/GCL right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I’d take a guy with a wrist injury over a guy with a back injury any day. Regardless, the ball was dropped here. Hopefully it doesn’t come back to bite us.
    You're missing the point that its a wrist injury for a guy known for his CURVE ball... a wrist is extremely important for that pitch and it's the reason he was that high of a pick.