109 Posts

Baseball America New Top 100

17 - Mike Soroka

29 - Austin Riley

39 - Ian Anderson

41 - Kyle Wright

72 - Luiz Gohara

99 - Cristian Pache
    Last edited by ball4life32; 07-18-2018 at 11:54 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-18-2018), Super (07-18-2018), UNCBlue012 (07-18-2018)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Mike Soroka - Braves - RHP
    Fastball: 60 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 60

Scouting Report: Soroka is a sinker/slider pitcher who touches 95 mph but lives at 90-93 mph with his two-seamer. His delivery has a little crossfire action that adds deception and has not affected his plus control. He started to throw his four-seamer more alters hitters' eye levels. Soroka's plus breaking ball is hard to classify. At it's best it's an above-average 84-86 mph curveball because of 1-to-7 shape, but it's tighter and has a sharper break than normal. When his adrenaline is flowing, it morphs into a high-80s pitch with slider tilt. His changeup flashes above-average with some late run but could use more consistency. His sinker and breaking ball eat up righthanders, but those same offerings end up down and in where lefties can feast, so his changeup must show run away from lefties.

Austin Riley - Braves - 3B
    Hit: 55 | Power: 60 | Speed: 40 | Fielding: 55 | Arm: 70

Scouting Report: Riley has embraced the Braves' focus on improving his nutritional habits. He appears slimmer, stronger and quicker than he was when drafted. He also has shortened his swing and improved his bat speed, helping him to more consistently get to his plus power potential and elevating himself to an above-average hitter, whereas his previous ceiling was considered average. Riley's biggest improvement has come defensively. He has alleviated fears he would need to move to first base and is now an above-average third baseman. His plus-plus arm is still his calling card, but he also improved his first-step quickness.

Ian Anderson - Braves - RHP
    Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50

Scouting Report: The Braves' initial point of emphasis with young pitchers is to teach them to throw a quality changeup. Anderson embraced the pitch, developing it from afterthought to a pitch that flashes above-average in the span of a year. The improved change gives him a chance to end up with three above-average pitches. His 91-95 mph fastball touches 97, and he gets downhill thanks to his over-the-top delivery. As he worked on his change, Anderson relied less on his plus curveball with 12-to-6 action. Scouts believe Anderson has advanced control and command for his age, despite his walk rate of 4.7 per nine innings.

Kyle Wright - Braves - RHP
    Fastball: 70 | Curveball: 60 | Slider: 60 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 50

Scouting Report: Wright's plus-plus fastball ranges from 92-98 mph, with late life at its best to go with excellent angle. His command is better when he's pitching in the lower registers of his velocity range. Wright's curveball and slider both generate potential plus grades, but he often shows a knack for locating one or the other, depending on the day. His curveball is a low- 80s pitch with late break and good depth. His harder mid-80s slider has modest break but plenty of power. His mid-80s changeup is his fourth pitch for now but shows excellent fade and run when he's locked in.

Luiz Gohara - Braves - LHP
    Fastball: 80 | Slider: 70 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 45

Scouting Report: Gohara's pure stuff compares favorably with anyone. In just 29 big league innings, he threw more 98-plus mph fastballs than any other lefty starter. His 95-99 mph fastball generates top-of-the- scale grades and his 82-85 mph slider is equally impressive because it looks like his fastball coming out of his hand before diving with late tilt. He shows some feel for a changeup, but it lacks late fade and he struggles to keep it on the edges of the plate. Gohara's control is fringe-average at best, but he has made significant strides and should develop average control.

Cristian Pache - Braves - OF
    Hitting: 50 | Power: 40 | Speed: 80 | Defense: 70 | Arm: 55

Scouting Report: A top prospect in the 2015 international class, Pache has gotten better since he signed. An above-average runner then, he's now a top-of-the-scale runner. His glove work has similarly improved. Pache's aggressive, almost cocky center field defense will get him to the big leagues. He plays shallow, challenging hitters to hit it over his head. If they do, he proves he can track balls over his head with ease. He's one of the best defensive center fielders in the minors and has Gold Glove potential with an above-average arm. Pache's speed plays on the basepaths, too. At the plate, his swing has some length that leads scouts to see a future average hit tool, but he has shown improved strike-zone recognition and solid bat-to-ball skills. Scouts love his athleticism and believe that once he fills out he'll hit for at least average power, and this year for the first time as a pro he’s starting to drive the ball over the wall. Pache's bat will determine whether he becomes an impact regular or just a useful, speedy outfielder.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (07-18-2018), goldfly (07-19-2018), Jaw (07-18-2018), jpx7 (07-18-2018), Super (07-18-2018), UNCBlue012 (07-18-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    "Scouts believe Anderson has advanced control and command for his age, despite his walk rate of 4.7 per nine innings."

As some have been saying all along. the BB numbers appear to be deceptive. though i wonder when they wrote this up as his BB/9 is 3.84.

Wright's numbers this year are much better than I thought. couple of solid outings without many walks and they'll be sparkling.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I wonder how much Wrights struggles has to do with being forced to throw his changeup.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Pache should be higher. Riley lower.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    What else do Touki and Waters have to do get some love? Especially Touki who has dominated at two different levels this year.

Also, where is Allard? His ceiling may not be as high anymore with the decreased velocity, but results are results, and he continues to dominate hitters. I can't imagine why he would completely be left off after being a top 100 fixture since he was drafted.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    What else do Touki and Waters have to do get some love? Especially Touki who has dominated at two different levels this year.

Also, where is Allard? His ceiling may not be as high anymore with the decreased velocity, but results are results, and he continues to dominate hitters. I can't imagine why he would completely be left off after being a top 100 fixture since he was drafted.
    Yeah Touki not on the list is weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Good questions. I imagine that Allard and Touki must be close to cracking the Top 100. Waters I can see leaving off. I think he needs to prove himself at a higher level before he gets consideration for the Top 100.

Wilson is another one who must be close to making the list.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Touki and possibly Waters should be on the list. Contreras is coming on strong too. Our minors are loaded all the way through and with 2 first round picks next year should give it an even bigger boost

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    yeah, touki AND allard both being left off is kind of a joke.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

buck75 (07-18-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yeah, touki AND allard both being left off is kind of a joke.
    Why? Re: Allard. Scouts have a different opinion than what the stats say. Just like on Anderson.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why? Re: Allard. Scouts have a different opinion than what the stats say. Just like on Anderson.
    i think both of them being left off is strange. allard i can understand more than touki. but if you don't like touki i figure you like allard. if you don't like allard i figure you like touki.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He's made every top 100 list since he was drafted though,and was #67 preseason on their list. Despite concerns on velocity, he keeps performing well. Seems more likely that they simply forgot about him, rather than unanimously writing him off. I really don't see how you can justify 50+ prospects leap frogging him.
    Last edited by Carp; 07-18-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think both of them being left off is strange. allard i can understand more than touki. but if you don't like touki i figure you like allard. if you don't like allard i figure you like touki.
    Touki should be on the list.

He's made every top 100 list since he was drafted though,and was #67 preseason on their list. Despite concerns on velocity, he keeps performing well. Seems more likely that they simply forgot about him, rather than unanimously writing him off. I really don't see how you can justify 50+ prospects leap frogging him.
    Allard has been dropping in every list over the last year. Some have just dropped him quicker than others. That said Allard to me is a 50 FV guy so he could be anywhere from #75-125 overall and it virtually mean the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I agree. No way he should be off the list.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    We have several guys that were probably quite close. I figure if they extended the list to 150 we would see Waters, Touki, Allard, Contreras, Wilson and maybe a couple others as well. But I'm honestly very surprised that Touki didn't make it. I think with his development he has a legitimate argument to maybe even crack top 75. I can understand Allard considering there are serious questions about whether his stuff can play above AAA. I think Allard has a solid 3 ceiling, but his floor is basically not even a major leaguer.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-18-2018)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I think Allard has a solid 3 ceiling, but his floor is basically not even a major leaguer.
    We are both talking about the 20 year old lefty in AAA with a sub 3 ERA, right? Man I hate radar guns. They made Cabrera a great prospect and now Allard is a solid 3 to a AAAA starter because he doesn't light up a gun?

Great. Let's keep him and stick him in Atlanta.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to OcalaBrave For This Useful Post:

buck75 (07-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Pache should be higher. Riley lower.
    Riley is a great prospect. I know you're always harping on his k rate, but consider this...

Start of season till 2 weeks before DL...
    178 PA 47 k = 26.4% (new level, so not bad)

2 weeks before DL till DL...
    51 PA 21 k = 41.7%

Since return from dL...
    51 PA 10 k = 19.6%

I think his k rate is inflated from playing hurt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Riley is a great prospect. I know you're always harping on his k rate, but consider this...

Start of season till 2 weeks before DL...
    178 PA 47 k = 26.4% (new level, so not bad)

2 weeks before till DL...
    51 PA 21 k = 41.7%

Since return from dL...
    51 PA 10 k = 19.6%
    better to take the full sample than to pull out the parts that you might not like

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    better to take the full sample than to pull out the parts that you might not like
    It's not like I just I picked some random samples. Riley went on the dL and his k rate exploded before that dL stint. K rate goes way down once healthy. I don't think it's a stretch to credit injury with some of thd k issues in that period.

Steamer projects his k rate lower than it currently is at AAA now. 28.1% to 29.6%

A+ = 21.8%
    AA = 24.6%
    AA = 25.7%

I think he will k around 26-29% at mlb level with massive power.