Thread: Interesting Ringolsby Article

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Interesting Ringolsby Article

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...d-cooperstown/

How can everybody continue to underrate Freddie??? The only categories where Rizzo outpaces Freeman are SB, K%, and ISO, and Freddie's a month younger.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-24-2019)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Who the fu*ck cares?

Honestly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Who the fu*ck cares?

Honestly.
    Why do y'all give clv such hell? Lol

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    They are the same age and Freeman has 5 more bWAR and 6 more fWAR. One clearly has had the better career so far than the other.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Why do y'all give clv such hell? Lol
    Its my favorite meme of all time.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Its my favorite meme of all time.
    Might be clvclv's favorite meme too.

Just as Enscheff loves being the baby face heel (Stone Cold) on here, Enscheff loves being Mr. McMahon.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-22-2019)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The better question is are there ANY 1B under 30 who will make the hall?

Will Freeman OR Rizzo have the career of Votto? Is Votto a HoF? For me, Votto isn't as it stands and he has an MVP, 2nd and 3rd runner up MVP finishes, and has 58.9 fWar. But he's somewhat close where a little extra credit may help. (Frank Thomas had 73.9 fWar, Jimmie Foxx 95.8). Miguel Cabrera has 69.7 and Albert Pujols has 100. Of course some of those guys spent significant time at other positions.

Will Freddie (or Rizzo) be anywhere close to the player they are today when they are 35 as Votto is now (Votto has struggled the last 2 years, as has Cabrera, as has Pujols).

First basemen don't age well, especially 1B who have always been primarily 1B.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Edwin Diaz? Lol. 1B is a tough position to crack. Freddie is going to need a big peak or to stay good through to his late 30's.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

Will Freeman OR Rizzo have the career of Votto? Is Votto a HoF? For me, Votto isn't as it stands and he has an MVP, 2nd and 3rd runner up MVP finishes, and has 58.9 fWar. But he's somewhat close where a little extra credit may help. (Frank Thomas had 73.9 fWar, Jimmie Foxx 95.8). Miguel Cabrera has 69.7 and Albert Pujols has 100. Of course some of those guys spent significant time at other positions.

Will Freddie (or Rizzo) be anywhere close to the player they are today when they are 35 as Votto is now (Votto has struggled the last 2 years, as has Cabrera, as has Pujols).

The DH is coming to both leagues. If Freddie's bat speed doesn't decrease too much and he'll hit some big numbers. Big enough for the HOF? Hard to tell.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

To me Votto is a HOF. Since 2008 he is 2nd to only Trout in total WAR among position players. He likely will get to 60 WAR by the time he is done and with his MVP that's going to be good enough.

You are right about 1B though. Those guys can crater at any time once they get to 30. Even the best of all-time (Pujols,Thomas, and Cabrera) aren't immune. Another comparison to Rizzo and Freedie who is a couple of years older is Goldschmidt. It will be interesting to see how he does the rest of the year but this could the start of his decline and he's 31. I like Freeman as much as anyone but we have him signed through age 31 and any extension talks after that need to be with extreme caution.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-22-2019), rico43 (06-24-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Its just going to be a matter of Freddie staying good well into his 30s. He's gonna need at least 6-7 seasons of ~4 WAR baseball (or 5-6 seasons of 5+ WAR) in order to make the Hall for sure. If he can get to ~60 career WAR, then I think he'll be in pretty good shape. It wouldn't hurt if he had a few more 30+ homer seasons in the future to give him a shot a cracking 400.

Its a pretty tall order and he's going to have to beat the standard aging curve for 1st basemen, but I think he's capable of staying an elite player into his mid-30s.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    To me Votto is a HOF. Since 2008 he is 2nd to only Trout in total WAR among position players. He likely will get to 60 WAR by the time he is done and with his MVP that's going to be good enough.

You are right about 1B though. Those guys can crater at any time once they get to 30. Even the best of all-time (Pujols,Thomas, and Cabrera) aren't immune. Another comparison to Rizzo and Freedie who is a couple of years older is Goldschmidt. It will be interesting to see how he does the rest of the year but this could the start of his decline and he's 31. I like Freeman as much as anyone but we have him signed through age 31 and any extension talks after that need to be with extreme caution.
    I wouldn't sign Freeman to anything longer than a 2 or MAYYYYYYBBBBEEE 3 year deal after his current deal ends. A lot is going to depend on how he looks in the next couple of seasons. If there are ANY signs of decline, we need to bail. If he's still great, extend him for a couple years and then go to 1 year deals after that if he still wants to be here. If Freeman wants something more long term after his current deal, then we need to wish him well and let another team make that mistake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I wouldn't sign Freeman to anything longer than a 2 or MAYYYYYYBBBBEEE 3 year deal after his current deal ends. A lot is going to depend on how he looks in the next couple of seasons. If there are ANY signs of decline, we need to bail. If he's still great, extend him for a couple years and then go to 1 year deals after that if he still wants to be here. If Freeman wants something more long term after his current deal, then we need to wish him well and let another team make that mistake.
    Agreed. I think the right approach with a Face of the Franchise type player like Freddie who wants to stay with the team for his career is a series of short-term extensions once he gets into his thirties. That allows the club and him to calibrate his salary to his production and maintain a situation that is fair to everyone.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    People still read BA? After content like that?

Freeman was 4th in the MVP race last year. He gets about as much publicity as any guy not in a major market.

Everyone who matters understands exactly how valuable Freeman is.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-24-2019)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The old-school numbers are pretty much in Freddie's corner. Both are 29, Freddie turns 30 in September.

Their 162-game averages are similar: Rizzo slashed .270/30/98 on a 162 avearage, Freeman is .294/27/95.

Both have at this moment 210 career homers, with Freddie owning more hits (1,370-1,127) and RBIs (745-688).

Each has been a 3-time all-star previous to 2019.