Thread: Brian McCann

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Ill bet he outperforms Gattis next year. This is without considering that McCann is leaps and bounds better defensively/calling games. The Braves will hope to get something from Gattis who has a bat but sucks defensively and CB who is good defensively but sucks with the bat. Neither will be a long term solution there since Carratini will probably be the longer term solution there.
    Gattis is pretty decent defensively at C, he isnt good in LF, where now he will be catching full-time unless CB blows up.

Mac will do better because he will rake in that park with the short porch.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Are you accusing McCann of only caring about money? If so, why? What if he wants to play in NY and in the AL? And who cares of he plays for money, don't you work for money of love?

Good move by Yanks. He may be a tad overpaid at the backend, but maybe not if he can DH at times. Will always root for Brian, happy for him in a way.

Funny to hear people acusing Heap of wanting money. Since when him and Francour were gonna sign heap signed a team friendly contract while frenchy wanted to be for the money and I don't remember people ****ting on frenchy then lol.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Are you accusing McCann of only caring about money? If so, why? What if he wants to play in NY and in the AL? And who cares of he plays for money, don't you work for money of love?

Good move by Yanks. He may be a tad overpaid at the backend, but maybe not if he can DH at times. Will always root for Brian, happy for him in a way.
    This, and whose to say the Braves even offered him all that much.

I saw they talked with him last Friday or his agent but i doubt enough where he would stay.

Sometimes it's best to part ways, though i would of liked him back, doesnt mean Mac is greedy though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I think it would make a lot of us feel better (or at least me, myself) to have heard Mac come out in the press and express his desire to remain in Atlanta and say something along the lines that he hoped Atlanta would offer. Then you've got Heyward over there seemingly celebrating Mac's new contract. It stings.

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I think it would make a lot of us feel better (or at least me, myself) to have heard Mac come out in the press and express his desire to remain in Atlanta and say something along the lines that he hoped Atlanta would offer. Then you've got Heyward over there seemingly celebrating Mac's new contract. It stings.
    and minor

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Good to see Mac get paid. He deserves it for what he's done in his career. Sucks the Braves couldn't keep him but he's a premier free agent while the Braves are a mid market team and have capable replacements.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    As pointed out before, Heyward grew up a Yankees fan (he was born in McDonough, but his parents from from NJ). So maybe he goes there anyways.
    Forever Fredi

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts

LOL if you think he signed with the Yanks for any reason other than the money. He was going to play with the team that gave him the most money. It's all he cared about, hence the reason why him and his agent came out and said they wanted a $100 million contract. I have no respect for him or any other players with that mindset. They don't need the money to make ends meet, they just want to be the highest paid player at their position. It's all about pride and ego with profresional athletes these days.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-24-2013), NinersSBChamps (11-24-2013)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Why does it matter what Heyward or anyone else says? None of us know them personally, so I say we ignore the tweets.

Not every player is going to be a Chipper Jones that stays here below value for their whole career.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    LOL if you think he signed with the Yanks for any reason other than the money. He was going to play with the team that gave him the most money. It's all he cared about, hence the reason why him and his agent came out and said they wanted a $100 million contract. I have no respect for him or any other players with that mindset. They don't need the money to make ends meet, they just want to be the highest paid player at their position. It's all about pride and ego with profresional athletes these days.
    Show me where he had better offers (in terms of some thing other than money) from other teams

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    The list of professional athletes you admire must be the shortest list ever.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    So if we offered him 5/75, with a 6th year option, a little less than he signed for.

You think he leaves.

And like anyone has ever not signed less, and always for the money.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Before we say Maddux, Smoltz, Chipper, took lowball offers to stay with us we have to remember:

1) We were still Top 3 in payroll those days when we gave them extensions.
    2) While they weren't the best deals, they were still getting paid at or slightly above market value.
    3) Playing for a team they were already comfortable with in a state with not as high of taxes, where they could play golf regularly, and for a manager they loved, and a team that had a chance to compete year to year it made the decision easier.

I doubt Wren offered Mac anything even close to what the Yankees, probably not even half and for the samea mount of years.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Before we say Maddux, Smoltz, Chipper, took lowball offers to stay with us we have to remember:

1) We were still Top 3 in payroll those days when we gave them extensions.
    2) While they weren't the best deals, they were still getting paid at or slightly above market value.
    3) Playing for a team they were already comfortable with in a state with not as high of taxes, where they could play golf regularly, and for a manager they loved, and a team that had a chance to compete year to year it made the decision easier.

I doubt Wren offered Mac anything even close to what the Yankees, probably not even half and for the samea mount of years.
    I think he offered him 4/60, maybe.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Good riddance! Sick of players only caring about money.
    BUT ITS 17 ****ING MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR! ****! I'd take that. My family would be set up for life. I'd be on the ****ing Yankees. I know we hate the Yankees, but damn, congrats to BMac.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-24-2013)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Is this confirmed or was it only speculative?

I wonder if a 4/60 plus a 5th year option would've done it. By then maybe Freeman is a free agent and out of our price range and Mac could play 1st for a few seasons.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The list of professional athletes you admire must be the shortest list ever.
    I don't admire professional athletes, period! They don't know what it's like to live from paycheck to paycheck. They have everything handed to them on a silver platter. That's not to say they don't put in hard work to be great at what they do but when you get down to it they get paid millions to play a game and never have to worry about their finances. I'm not so sure why we should admire any of them.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-24-2013), bravebonebook (11-24-2013)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I don't admire professional athletes, period! They don't know what it's like to live from paycheck to paycheck. They have everything handed to them on a silver platter. That's not to say they don't put in hard work to be great at what they do but when you get down to it they get paid millions to play a game and never have to worry about their finances. I'm not so sure why we should admire any of them.
    Not all professional athletes were raised in good shape. I mean a lot of the guys grew up in lower middle class-poor conditions. So while they didn't have to work and live paycheck to paycheck, I'm sure their parents did. Especially the latin-american players who grew up in the slums. I don't blame them for taking the most money possible, because they're probably taking care of many extended family members in their native countries.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    That's still $15 million a year! You are acting like that's chump change.

I doubt we even offered him a contract. I think the Braves want to move on regardless of the price.

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    They work very ****ing hard. In fact, some are abused as children because their parents want to live their dreams through them. They get paid so much money because they're world class talents with skills that not many can play at that level. They also get paid that much because people ****ing love sports. It's tribal ****.

Criticizing them because they don't live pay check to pay check is so ****ing stupid. Is that measure of a man, now?