Thread: Brian McCann

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Is this confirmed or was it only speculative?

I wonder if a 4/60 plus a 5th year option would've done it. By then maybe Freeman is a free agent and out of our price range and Mac could play 1st for a few seasons.
    Im just speculating, i dont think they wanted to bring him back ala like the Cards and Pujols, Rangers and Hamilton, etc.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    I don't admire professional athletes, period! They don't know what it's like to live from paycheck to paycheck. They have everything handed to them on a silver platter. That's not to say they don't put in hard work to be great at what they do but when you get down to it they get paid millions to play a game and never have to worry about their finances. I'm not so sure why we should admire any of them.
    Their career could be over on one play, i cant disagree with you more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    The idea has crossed my mind.

All my teams stink anyway.
    I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong about Mac, but it's not like the Yankees are a horrible organization to go play for. I mean it's possible he turns down that same money say if the Astros offered it instead of the Yanks.
    thank you weso1!

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    So, our offense got worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary82 View Post
    So, our offense got worse.
    Yeah, some but not a lot. The way I look at it is McCann's at bats as catcher mainly get re-distributed to Gattis. And Gattis' at bats as a backup outfielder and first baseman get mostly re-distributed to Joey T as of right now, though it is possible we will acquire someone else who will get most of those at bats. I think Joey T will be our most important backup/pinch hitter this coming season.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    LOL if you think he signed with the Yanks for any reason other than the money. He was going to play with the team that gave him the most money. It's all he cared about, hence the reason why him and his agent came out and said they wanted a $100 million contract. I have no respect for him or any other players with that mindset. They don't need the money to make ends meet, they just want to be the highest paid player at their position. It's all about pride and ego with profresional athletes these days.
    The Yankees should be competitive next year. And Mac is going to crush it in that park. Really good chance of making the HOF by going there.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I don't admire professional athletes, period! They don't know what it's like to live from paycheck to paycheck. They have everything handed to them on a silver platter. That's not to say they don't put in hard work to be great at what they do but when you get down to it they get paid millions to play a game and never have to worry about their finances. I'm not so sure why we should admire any of them.
    Yes I am sure most players never worried about living pay check to pay check in the minors. They all signed for mega millions out of high school.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    That's still $15 million a year! You are acting like that's chump change.

I doubt we even offered him a contract. I think the Braves want to move on regardless of the price.
    So... you think we didn't even offer him anything. But you also think he is a horrible human being for signing elsewhere. What exactly would you have him do? Volunteer his services for free to the Braves?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-24-2013), Heyward (11-24-2013), The Chosen One (11-24-2013), TXBravesFan (11-24-2013)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    So... you think we didn't even offer him anything. But you also think he is a horrible human being for signing elsewhere. What exactly would you have him do? Volunteer his services for free to the Braves?
    I actually would've preferred he volunteer his face and endorsement of Chopcountry to the entire Braves Country, free of charge.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong about Mac, but it's not like the Yankees are a horrible organization to go play for. I mean it's possible he turns down that same money say if the Astros offered it instead of the Yanks.
    They arent a horrible organization? If not for playing in the largest market in a sport with no salary cap they would be the Knicks of MLB. They spent 220 million dollars last year and didnt even make the playoffs. The Braves could sign Cano, Garza, Brian Wilson, Joe Nathan, Brian McCann, Ellsbury, Choo, and Carlos Beltran and STILL not be at 220 million. Imagine not making the playoffs after signing adding all those players. The Yankees are the laughing stock of american sports. Its like Michael Jordan losing to a 5 year old with down syndrome in basketball. Its just down right sad.

I wish Brian well in all his personal affairs but I wish nothing but the worst in his yankee career. If he gets a world series ring he will have earned it as much as anyone who bought one off ebay. Baseball is the only major american sport without a salary cap and its getting harder to support in my opinion. If the Yankees produced great home grown talent and they had a 200 million payroll just from re-signing their own home grown talent it wouldnt bother me but poaching talent from teams that cant compete with their financial advantage pisses me off.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    They arent a horrible organization? If not for playing in the largest market in a sport with no salary cap they would be the Knicks of MLB. They spent 220 million dollars last year and didnt even make the playoffs. The Braves could sign Cano, Garza, Brian Wilson, Joe Nathan, Brian McCann, Ellsbury, Choo, and Carlos Beltran and STILL not be at 220 million. Imagine not making the playoffs after signing adding all those players. The Yankees are the laughing stock of american sports. Its like Michael Jordan losing to a 5 year old with down syndrome in basketball. Its just down right sad.

I wish Brian well in all his personal affairs but I wish nothing but the worst in his yankee career. If he gets a world series ring he will have earned it as much as anyone who bought one off ebay. Baseball is the only major american sport without a salary cap and its getting harder to support in my opinion. If the Yankees produced great home grown talent and they had a 200 million payroll just from re-signing their own home grown talent it wouldnt bother me but poaching talent from teams that cant compete with their financial advantage pisses me off.
    You should be more upset with the Braves ownership not spending money and falling to the back of the pack instead of the Yankees and other teams who try to win. Yes, baseball doesn't have a salary cap. But they also have guaranteed contracts. Arod would of been cut years ago if this was like the NFL. So it has it's pros and cons. You want to go crazy and pay extra so other teams can't have a player? Cool. You are going to pay him guaranteed money when he's a league average player at the end of his career.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    LOL if you think he signed with the Yanks for any reason other than the money. He was going to play with the team that gave him the most money. It's all he cared about, hence the reason why him and his agent came out and said they wanted a $100 million contract. I have no respect for him or any other players with that mindset. They don't need the money to make ends meet, they just want to be the highest paid player at their position. It's all about pride and ego with profresional athletes these days.
    I'll bet you named your dogs Furcal and Jones just so you can kick them at dinner time.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    That's a harsh generalization. Many professional athletes come from little or average means. Can you blame them if they want their kids to have it much better off than they did?

If you have an issue with what players make then don't watch sports. I think the amount of money that reality TV stars get paid to be talentless is baffling, I don't watch reality TV. These people are out there to make money for themselves, the teams show no loyalty to the players, so why should players show any loyalty to their team? It sucks as fans but baseball or any sport is a business first. The teams are out there to make money and so are the players.

I never said you should admire a professional athlete, you were the one who said you can't admire someone who's in it just for the money or whatever.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Never said he was a horrible human being. I said he was in it for the money and he was. He's not worth $100 million and that's what he was asking for. Just once I'd like someone to sign for something other than money when it's obvious they don't need it. Here we are living in tough economic times. You have families literally struggling to make ends meet and professional athletes are making millions. Just doesn't seem right. I'm not upset he left the Braves, he's been in decline the last few years. His numbers shouldn't be that hard to replace. This is a rant vs professional athletes in general more than it is something against McCann.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Hes just a cog Matt, You don't think ownership is making millions too?

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I'm being honest here, sometimes when a player gets 85-100 million dollars I roll my eyes and think, how are they gonna waste it...Not today!!! I'm thrilled for the McCann family! Watch the good they do! They already do great work with the Rally Foundation, among others. The Braves will miss him, but the area of Atlanta should be so glad that kind of money went to that quality of family!

Matt Diaz on McCanns deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I know that it was best to let McCann leave, but I'm upset that the Braves gave BJ 5 years and 75 million and didn't even try to keep McCann.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Hes just a cog Matt, You don't think ownership is making millions too?
    Agreed...we are the poor saps that continue to spends ridiculous money on sports. Its really our faults.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcway View Post
    I know that it was best to let McCann leave, but I'm upset that the Braves gave BJ 5 years and 75 million and didn't even try to keep McCann.
    Braves had no realistic options in CF that they wanted to utilize (moving Heyward to CF). Braves have two catching options behind Mac and paying 30+ year old catchers is never a goodt hing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Heyward (11-24-2013)