Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian McCann

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves had no realistic options in CF that they wanted to utilize (moving Heyward to CF). Braves have two catching options behind Mac and paying 30+ year old catchers is never a goodt hing.

this isn't always correct. Jorge Posada for instance was productive till his late 30s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Outliers always exist. I'll take my chances on Mac not being worth that contract.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Yankees should be competitive next year. And Mac is going to crush it in that park. Really good chance of making the HOF by going there.
    I don't think he'll have a HOF shot unless he's able to remain at catcher until his late 30s, which at this point is looking like a long shot. The Yankees will probably DH him pretty often.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Outliers always exist. I'll take my chances on Mac not being worth that contract.
    Larry Parrish and Gary Carter are most similar to him on Baseball reference. Carter was a good catcher for a bit in his 30s.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    You should be more upset with the Braves ownership not spending money and falling to the back of the pack instead of the Yankees and other teams who try to win. Yes, baseball doesn't have a salary cap. But they also have guaranteed contracts. Arod would of been cut years ago if this was like the NFL. So it has it's pros and cons. You want to go crazy and pay extra so other teams can't have a player? Cool. You are going to pay him guaranteed money when he's a league average player at the end of his career.
    Because our owners have some sanity. Giving a person to play a game 30 mil a year is stupid, many players, even stupider. It is just a game and if you don't bring in the fans and your bottom line is not as you hope, you do not make stupid decisions. Boras killed free agency and there is nothing we can do about it.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I don't think he'll have a HOF shot unless he's able to remain at catcher until his late 30s, which at this point is looking like a long shot. The Yankees will probably DH him pretty often.
    IF the DH him throughout his contract he should be able to remain at catcher for all of his contract. And I don't think you understand how good that park is to lefties.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613073.html

For lefties it's basically like playing in Coors. Mac is going to crush it there like Granderson did when he came over.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Because our owners have some sanity. Giving a person to play a game 30 mil a year is stupid, many players, even stupider. It is just a game and if you don't bring in the fans and your bottom line is not as you hope, you do not make stupid decisions. Boras killed free agency and there is nothing we can do about it.
    Our owners are cheap. They could raise the payroll 50 million and still be in good shape. Now I understand why we let Mac go. I wouldn't have signed him to that deal either. But I doubt we keep Heyward either.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Our owners are cheap. They could raise the payroll 50 million and still be in good shape. Now I understand why we let Mac go. I wouldn't have signed him to that deal either. But I doubt we keep Heyward either.
    No, they aren't cheap but you think they are cheap.

They values and morals are different than yours, deal with it.

They DON'T CARE about you. They care about themselves and the money they can make or save. If you want to hurt them, don't show up at the game.

You bitching, complaining is not going to change their mind.

Again, deal with it.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    No, they aren't cheap but you think they are cheap.

They values and morals are different than yours, deal with it.

They DON'T CARE about you. They care about themselves and the money they can make or save. If you want to hurt them, don't show up at the game.

You bitching, complaining is not going to change their mind.

Again, deal with it.
    Why so hostile? Compared to other teams the Braves are cheap. That is fact. Deal with it.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Outliers do exist but those outliers are often players along McCann's caliber.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    IF the DH him throughout his contract he should be able to remain at catcher for all of his contract. And I don't think you understand how good that park is to lefties.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613073.html

For lefties it's basically like playing in Coors. Mac is going to crush it there like Granderson did when he came over.
    So what type of numbers are you predicting over the next few years? Sure, it helped Granderson's power numbers, but despite the power Granderson hit .232 and .229 the past two seasons. Remember, McCann hit .256 and .230 the past two seasons. Is Yankee stadium going to magically bring him back to his prime Atlanta numbers?

Arizona Fall Leaguer Tino25Dynasty's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    We can thank that lovely contract to BJ Upton for this.... It's simple, do not give a guy who had done as little as BJ that much damn money and we have the money to resign McCann.... That contract really ****ed us up

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tino25Dynasty For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-24-2013)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Why so hostile? Compared to other teams the Braves are cheap. That is fact. Deal with it.
    Liberty is thrifty, but not cheap.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tino25Dynasty View Post
    We can thank that lovely contract to BJ Upton for this.... It's simple, do not give a guy who had done as little as BJ that much damn money and we have the money to resign McCann.... That contract really ****ed us up
    BJ's contract only looks bad because of 2013.
    Forever Fredi

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-24-2013), Heyward (11-24-2013), thethe (11-24-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    BJ's contract only looks bad because of 2013.
    Uh, no... We can't look back because it was on scout.com.... But I thought the contract was a joke AT THE TIME of the signing.... He never was that great a player. He's never even been to one all star game for pete's sake.... And yet he was given star type money... He was a solid player at best

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    It seems like we spent the past three years waiting for Mac to 'get hot again' -- between injuries, of course. I don't think he maintains value even half-way through his contract with NY. Will miss his fire, but not his game-calling. Excited for Bethancourt/Gattis. More excited to see how we reallocate his money.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    BJ's contract has nothing to do with this, quit bitching.

They could of kept him if they wanted too but they didnt make much effort to sign him.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-24-2013)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Uh, no... We can't look back because it was on scout.com.... But I thought the contract was a joke AT THE TIME of the signing.... He never was that great a player. He's never even been to one all star game for pete's sake.... And yet he was given star type money... He was a solid player at best
    That's the market. His salary may look like a joke, but that's because of league wide inflation.

I don't think he was given star type money because stars are now getting over 20 million a year now.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    That's the market. His salary may look like a joke, but that's because of league wide inflation.

I don't think he was given star type money because stars are now getting over 20 million a year now.
    I personally have a differing definition of stars and superstars... For instance, my favorite player tino martinez was a "star" but wasn't a superstar... BJ wasn't given superstar type money but definitely star type... More appropriate for someone who's at least made an all star team or two have better than a .248 career average, better than average like .310 for an OBP, and also at least have maybe one gold glove or something.... He was a solid player.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    So what type of numbers are you predicting over the next few years? Sure, it helped Granderson's power numbers, but despite the power Granderson hit .232 and .229 the past two seasons. Remember, McCann hit .256 and .230 the past two seasons. Is Yankee stadium going to magically bring him back to his prime Atlanta numbers?
    Mac has also been unlucky in BABIP so that's why his batting average has been down. His homerun rate has stayed pretty consistent which obviously isn't influenced by BABIP. As for playing with the Yankees. I see him getting to 30 homers easily due to the fact that Yankee Stadium is a homerun haven for lefties and Mac will be able to DH when he's not catching so he should get more ABs now.