Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: GDT 5/3 - Weird Lineup Today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Just mindboggling thethe wants to double down and wants him to sign an extension.
    Double down on what? A market value contract? A leader for a young clubhouse? Yeah - I'll double down.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the only thing i'm sure of in this whole thread
    It reminds me of Gaylord Perry’s comment in “Me And The Spitter” about Alvin Dark keeping a memo pad with names of people who had done him wrong.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I never wanted to kick him off the team. I wanted to capitalize on potentially a young piece who was finally getting a chance. There is a still a chance that Tucker is a productive player.

So please continue to twist my statements.
    Fam, you’re twisting your own statements.

Let’s just all agree to hope Markakis keeps playing above-average ball, and so does the team, so we’re not arguing where to trade him, come two months, but where to best slot him in the lineup.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I never wanted to kick him off the team. I wanted to capitalize on potentially a young piece who was finally getting a chance. There is a still a chance that Tucker is a productive player.

So please continue to twist my statements.
    What is there to twist? You wanted to bench Neck for Tucker based on 1 week of games. Now you want to extend Neck for 2 years based on 1 month of games and ignoring the previous 3 years with the Braves.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    This thread is a comedy show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    What is there to twist? You wanted to bench Neck for Tucker based on 1 week of games. Now you want to extend Neck for 2 years based on 1 month of games and ignoring the previous 3 years with the Braves.
    I don't see any inconsistency. He wants to extent Muk so that we have a good backup to Tucker on the bench.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-04-2018), jpx7 (05-04-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (05-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Hardly. Most “critics” of Markakis on this board have maintained that he’s a decent player being paid roughly fairly while also maintaining that he was a needless expense for a team in full-on rebuild, whose age likely meant that his decline arc would likely be a cosine to the team’s ascendancy.

I sincerely hope he keeps his current pace and the fourth year becomes the boon, and not the bite it was assumed.
    the going rate for WAR is about 7 million. Markakis is paid 11 million, so he needed to produce about 1.6 WAR to meet value.

2015 1.4 fWAR 1.7 bWAR
    2016 1.2 fWAR 1.7 bWAR
    2017 .7 fWAR .7 bWAR
    2018 1.5* fWAR 1.9 bWAR

The first two seasons he was either a slight bargain or a slight disappointment depending on your preferred flawed method of measuring defensive value.

Last year the prediction that the fourth year would be a disaster was looking pretty good as he struggled mightily. This year, things are looking all right and he looks to be on pace for putting up a pretty typical season.

If we are to buy his defensive value can be increased by positioning him correctly, that suggests that his defensive negatives weren't necessarily his fault and this value was there all along but unlocked.

All in all, at this point complaining about the Markakis deal certainly is not new ground.

It was mostly fair during a time when his production was relatively irrelevant to overall team success and the Braves had no other internal options.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 05-04-2018 at 01:09 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-04-2018), jpx7 (05-04-2018), thewupk (05-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Double down on what? A market value contract? A leader for a young clubhouse? Yeah - I'll double down.
    Read my sig for the answer to your question, Charlie Brown.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The 4th year was heavily criticized because of owing money to a below average/old player when it could be better used at the time. And low and behold the Braves had zero money to make add anyone this offseason. So what exactly have we gotten wrong?

you are having it both ways here, though.

He just had his second best March/April of his career.

He's produced pretty much 1.5-2 Wins in the first month of the season.

He's a pretty big part, sustainable or not, of why this team is in first place. And its far from sure the Braves could have replaced him with better or cheaper and upgraded any other spot.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 05-04-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't see any inconsistency. He wants to extent Muk so that we have a good backup to Tucker on the bench.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-04-2018), nsacpi (05-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

He's produced pretty much 2 Wins in the first month of the season.

He's a pretty big part, sustainable or not, of why this team is in first place. And its far from sure the Braves could have replaced him with better or cheaper and upgraded any other spot.
    The issue is you and Charlie Brown are leaning on hindsight. Nobody projected Markakis to put up a month like this, so to sit here and point out "I told you so" is stupid. It is doubly stupid to call out "revisionist history" after calling for Markakis to be benched 20 days ago.

And yes, if the goal was to be in 1st place in May, the Markakis deal 4 years ago was amazing. Whoever predicted he would lead the Braves to 1st place on May 4th, 2018 was a genius.

Now just show me who predicted that...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts

He's produced pretty much 1.5-2 Wins in the first month of the season.

I'm not trying to have anything both ways. I'm just trying to figure out what people have been dead wrong about Neck? Up until the start of the season it looks like we've been dead right. Does 1 month change that? I don't know. Maybe he pulls a TP and wins the MVP and leads us to the promised land.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The issue is you and Charlie Brown are leaning on hindsight. Nobody projected Markakis to put up a month like this, so to sit here and point out "I told you so" is stupid. It is doubly stupid to call out "revisionist history" after calling for Markakis to be benched 20 days ago.

And yes, if the goal was to be in 1st place in May, the Markakis deal 4 years ago was amazing. Whoever predicted he would lead the Braves to 1st place on May 4th was a genius.

Now just show me who predicted that...

that's not what I'm doing at all.

I'm not on thethe's side of this argument. He's driving me crazy these last two weeks.

Your position and mine have been pretty consistently similar on Markakis for a long while.

I don't however have any objection to him being brought on a one year deal, with possibly a team option, that values him less than what he's getting now and is appropriate to his intended role.

I can live with him even starting another season in the OF so long as the Braves aren't shelling out a ton for it and have upgraded the team elsewhere.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts

I can live with him even starting another season in the OF so long as the Braves aren't shelling out a ton for it and have upgraded the team elsewhere.
    That's kind of the rub though...

If Riley is really Jake Lamb, then the Braves only have 1 position to upgrade, and a lot of resources to upgrade it.

The Braves need an impact corner OFer, and have the resources to make it happen, period. If Markakis is in LF/RF in 2019, the FO failed this off season.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Evad (05-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'm not trying to have anything both ways. I'm just trying to figure out what people have been dead wrong about Neck? Up until the start of the season it looks like we've been dead right. Does 1 month change that? I don't know. Maybe he pulls a TP and wins the MVP and leads us to the promised land.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply I was adopting thethe's entire position.

I would not say you've been dead wrong at all. He's fallen well within the parameters that were predicted. Last year's drop made you seem especially prescient.

I would only disagree with your analysis of the significance of all that. I don't think the Braves have missed out on anything by having him on the team. It's not something that I think is worth complaining about.

And I do disagree that he's a major opportunity cost to a contender this year, in part because I don't think the Braves are contenders, and in part because I don't think they could have spent his money in a way that would have made a major difference.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-04-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

If Riley is really Jake Lamb, then the Braves only have 1 position to upgrade, and a lot of resources to upgrade it.

The Braves need an impact corner OFer, and have the resources to make it happen, period. If Markakis is in LF/RF in 2019, the FO failed this off season.

I'm not sure what it would look like either.

Maybe adding Donaldson, Kimbrell and shuffling some assets around to upgrade the rotation and pen in general somehow.

I don't have a great grasp on what they are going to try to do.

But an elite OF certainly would be a perfect fit.

If not, some kind of Markakis/Tucker/xsigning/Riley thing might work fine in the field.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply I was adopting thethe's entire position.

I would not say you've been dead wrong at all. He's fallen well within the parameters that were predicted. Last year's drop made you seem especially prescient.

I would only disagree with your analysis of the significance of all that. I don't think the Braves have missed out on anything by having him on the team. It's not something that I think is worth complaining about.

And I do disagree that he's a major opportunity cost to a contender this year, in part because I don't think the Braves are contenders, and in part because I don't think they could have spent his money in a way that would have made a major difference.
    It's funny. Normally I would agree that the 11 million or whatever wouldn't be enough to do anything. Then the market crashed and you saw players better than Neck signing for significant less. Now the season starts and Neck is performing like an MVP candidate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts

This is 100% what I'm thinking. We have all of this money and can only spend it in very few places. Markakis will surely be a player we can upgrade on, hot start not withstanding.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I know it's unlikely, but if they find a better 3B than corner OF, there was a lot of talk about Riley being able to handle a corner OF spot. That might provide some flexibility with offseason decision making.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    This is 100% what I'm thinking. We have all of this money and can only spend it in very few places. Markakis will surely be a player we can upgrade on, hot start not withstanding.
    The real question is not where to upgrade, but who on the market actually represents an upgrade. After Not Trout, with Blackmon extented, it’s Pollock, Marwin Gonzalez, McCutchen, Pence, Adam Jones, Michael Brantley (who’d be semi-interesting, even at his age, but for health), and worse, as far as OF FAs. If we assume Not Trout ain’t happening, then it seems Pollock is the only worthwhile target—though Gonzalez could be interesting in a utility role, if not too pricey. Pollock’s by no means perfect, but he might be who the Braves are left to dance with, unless they get otherwise creative (trade; targeting/converting an INF à la Seattle/Gordon).

(Side note: I totally could’ve imagined John Hart targeting McCutchen or Jones as an “upgrade” to Markakis.)
    Last edited by jpx7; 05-04-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post: