Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig Kimbrel For Braves Closer In 2019

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    No. I love Craig but the Braves 1) can't allocate the type of money it will take to sign him and 2) assume the risk that he doesn't get worse as most relievers do. I want him to continue his run to being one of the best closers ever but the Braves can't gamble on that

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2018), jpx7 (09-06-2018), Perfect Cell (09-06-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    He needed to go another inning today.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    No. At the price he is wanting. He has good stuff, but he is not what he use to be either. I would argue we have people on this roster that can equal him and convert them to relievers for a REAL fraction of the price.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    No. At the price he is wanting. He has good stuff, but he is not what he use to be either. I would argue we have people on this roster that can equal him and convert them to relievers for a REAL fraction of the price.
    I don’t see how the braves can afford free agent, top of the market closer money. I agree with you.

The gap between kimbrel and next year minter isn’t worth the high dollars and low innings

IMO the money needs to upgrade the lineup and get some extensions going

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    I feel like Gohara or Bryce could do this job just fine...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I feel like Gohara or Bryce could do this job just fine...
    I tend to agree with this. Absolutely their value is higher as a starter, but either has solid stuff to be really effective. Gohara particularly would be yuge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I tend to agree with this. Absolutely their value is higher as a starter, but either has solid stuff to be really effective. Gohara particularly would be yuge.
    Gohara is yuge already...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (09-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Gohara is yuge already...
    I see what you did there... and you sir, are correct!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    I have been on this bandwagon for years now and I think it was the plan when they signed JJ for 2 years. I think they viewed him as the bridge to Kimbrel. That said, I dony think it would be wise as some of these prospects should sevelop into good relievers and we cant possibly fit them all in the rotation. The exception to that would if they would use Kimbrel as an opener. Have him pitch the inning of every other game. That would put him at 80+ inninings and we could probably stretch that to 90+ if we dont give him an extra day off from off days. That should protect his arm since he isnt pitching 2 days in a row and we get the max amount of innings out of him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    We need a closer who would be effective for multiple innings.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Who’s with me?

I am ALL in. It is worth the money at this point. It changes the dynamic of the pen. Viz, Minter and Kimbrel. 🔥🔥🔥

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Let's go for it!

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    What are you guys smoking? Have you not been paying attention? There's no way the Braves can tie up 15 million in a bullpen pitcher. The payroll isn't going up now or anytime soon so prepare to be disappointed this offseason. We'll be bargain shopping.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Instead of offering 60 million for 4 years to Kimbrel, we should counter offer with 8 years at 7.5 per year. That way Kimbrel can be still be happy to get his 60 million and we get a hometown discount. Guarantees Kimbrel goes into Cooperstown with the A on his hat. And a few World Series trophies.
    Forever Fredi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-11-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    Instead of offering 60 million for 4 years to Kimbrel, we should counter offer with 8 years at 7.5 per year. That way Kimbrel can be still be happy to get his 60 million and we get a hometown discount. Guarantees Kimbrel goes into Cooperstown with the A on his hat. And a few World Series trophies.
    How about a 60 million year contract at 1 dollar per? Works for Scientology.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-11-2018), thewupk (09-10-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I don't think this really fixes anything. Having a non automatic closer maybe reverses 2 or 3 games but like I've stated constantly there are multiple games where it is NOT on the closing performance where we can point at.

And at best, you have to drop 15 million on him. The Braves are going to probably have to spend on outfield, so how much money does that leave left? Even Markakis costs 10 most likely and then that might very well be it.

So where do you propose AA spends the windfall that's coming?

They're not likely to spend a dime on the rotation, CF, LF (or RF if Acuna shifts over), 1B, 2B, or SS.

Unless they drop a lot of money on extensions, you're still going to have a huge chunk of change to spend, more than enough to give $15 million per to Kimbrel, Moustakas, and Markakis or his replacement if they decide to go that way. I think most people understand you guys when you point out that a Closer isn't the most optimal place to spend your money, but the only other "needs" will be Markakis' spot, someone to share time with Camargo at 3B (if they don't give Riley the job), and the pen.

There's really no need to spend big to get someone to split time with Flowers - although trading for Realmuto remains a strong possibility, he's not due to make big money. While the money's there, I don't think anyone realistically sees AA as getting into the Harper bidding war. Maybe Brantley's healthy season pushes AA towards him rather than bringing back Markakis or he chooses to bring in Moustakas to pair with Camargo, but you're still likely looking at ~ $15 million AAV players there.

The 2019 payroll currently sits in the $50,350,000 range before extensions and arbitration raises. From the current 40-Man Roster, we can probably expect Lindgren, Whitley, Jose Ramirez, Lane Adams, Flaherty, and possibly Reed to be non-tendered this winter while Anibal likely is allowed to walk. There's not going to be a need to pinch pennies for the first time in forever, and adding a lockdown Closer makes some sense - even if that guy's not Kimbrel.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-11-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I'd rather spend that money on a corner OF. I think that is our biggest need this offseason. And no, not Markakis. I think everyone can agree he's not likely to repeat this season ever again. Besides, this offense needs more power in it. The offense tends to bog down when we aren't stringing hits together, because we don't have enough pop in the lineup.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-12-2018), jpx7 (09-11-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Braves will have some money but Gausman and O'Day will take up a bit of what would have been available.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Braves probably have about 40-50 million to acquire one catcher, one outfielder, one bench bat.

Considering they probably won't be in on the 30m+ crowd and that they probably have at least one big trade in them, money doesn't seem to be a tremendous limiting factor.

If anything, time would seem the biggest issue as they probably aren't going to want to commit big dollars beyond three years.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-11-2018)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    It's not a very popular opinion with the traditionalists also, but I don't think the closing inning really has that much mystique to it. Blee dat. I think the most important inning is the one with the highest leverage and that isn't necessarily always going to be the precious 9th.

Biddle's usage needs to be better though. A couple shaky outings and it seemingly has been he was taken out of leverage. He needs to flip flop with Venters and be used more Andrew Miller-esque when he's going good (I don't think he is "as" good though). Very possible he's the 2017 Sam Freeman this year but while he's good, take advantage of it. This is actually complimenting him from me. If you think having the "it factor" matters, for this season he's had it in spades.
    I consider myself somewhat "traditionalist," but I agree re: closers/9th inning. I prefer the "fireman" approach.