Thread: Waaaay Outside The Box

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Waaaay Outside The Box

But would those of you interested in trading Julio move him for Nick Williams?

Not sure either team would do it and Philadelphia is likely aiming higher if they move Williams for a Pitcher, but an Ender (eventually Pache), Acuna, Williams trio would be awfully intriguing - and would set you up to move Ender if you could get Happ in a deal for him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    It's a pretty reasonable swap, but I'd say no. This is the kind of deal that would strike me as selling too low on Teheran, when we could probably hold off and see if he rebounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Not so far outside the box. It seems obvious to me that the Braves will be looking (probably next off-season but maybe sooner) for a left-handed hitter with power to play left (with Inciarte in center and Acuna in right).

Williams is a plausible candidate, though less so than some others.

Happ and Kepler are two I would keep an eye on.

And yes, we are likely to trade a pitcher to acquire said hitter.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Getting poor value for Teheran qualifies as thinking outside the box? Pretty sure that’s just a bad idea.

If all they can get for him is FV 45 guy, they may as well hold him to be a reasonably priced #4.

The Braves will need to upgrade LF, C and probably 3B next offseason if Riley isn’t the answer. I would expect 2 of those positions to be upgraded via FA signing, and the third upgraded via trade. The trade package from the Braves will obviously be centered around pitching.

It would still be surprising to see them use resources to acquire a TOR SP, but if Riley pans out and they are able to sign FAs for C and LF, it might then make sense to consolidate 2-3 pitching prospects into a proven quality MLB pitcher...but only if the Braves are projected to be a legit playoff contender.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-31-2017 at 11:21 AM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Brewers seem to be the best spot to move Tehran for an of.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Brewers seem to be the best spot to move Tehran for an of.
    This man is onto something.

Brewers have excess OFers. Braves potentially have excess pitchers.

That’s how people apply logic!

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don’t think we’re trading Julio this offseason. AA stated he thought Julio had an unlucky season based on their stats and so far he doesn’t seem full of shiat with his media remarks. He’s also a guy set on value and trading him at his lowest value would not be smart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I don’t think we’re trading Julio this offseason. AA stated he thought Julio had an unlucky season based on their stats and so far he doesn’t seem full of shiat with his media remarks. He’s also a guy set on value and trading him at his lowest value would not be smart.
    Next off-season strikes me as the time to do this kind of deal. By then Markakis will be off the books.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I disagree that Julio was unlucky. He had a substantial increase in BB rate, and I expect him to be closer to 2.5 per 9 than 3.5 per 9 next year.

Barring injury, I expect 2-3 wins from J.T.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I don't see JT gaining much more value than he has now. While next offseason isn't a great market for SP, JT will have a year less of control.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Closer we get to Spring Training (only about six weeks away!), the less I believe Teheran will be dealt. If he was going to be traded, it would have happened by now.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (12-31-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Closer we get to Spring Training (only about six weeks away!), the less I believe Teheran will be dealt. If he was going to be traded, it would have happened by now.
    The whole offseason has gone slowly due to Ohtani and Stanton holding everything up, teams all valuing players roughly the same, and teams finally understanding the folly in paying big money for players’ decline years.

A lot of FA chips still have to fall before anyone comes calling for Teheran. If some team offers over $30M in surplus value for him, AA would be wise to take it. If they don’t, keep him until the deadline and try again.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    How much more would need to be added to get Frazier? NYY could use another piece in rotation.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The whole offseason has gone slowly due to Ohtani and Stanton holding everything up, teams all valuing players roughly the same, and teams finally understanding the folly in paying big money for players’ decline years.

A lot of FA chips still have to fall before anyone comes calling for Teheran. If some team offers over $30M in surplus value for him, AA would be wise to take it. If they don’t, keep him until the deadline and try again.
    Agree on all counts. Still have to figure out where Hosmer, Moustakas, Cain, Frazier, Darvish, Cobb, and others will sign.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    How much more would need to be added to get Frazier? NYY could use another piece in rotation.
    Teheran for Frazier is nearly equal if a team values Julio as a 2+ win pitcher moving forward. Problem is I think the Yankees are aiming higher. They are going for a pitcher like Cole, who will cost much more than just Frazier.

Personally, I think Frazier is overrated...high k rate and middling power for an OFer that can’t play CF. That’s my take, but the Braves may value Frazier as highly as his prospect ratings suggest.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Teheran for Frazier is nearly equal if a team values Julio as a 2+ win pitcher moving forward. Problem is I think the Yankees are aiming higher. They are going for a pitcher like Cole, who will cost much more than just Frazier.

Personally, I think Frazier is overrated...high k rate and middling power for an OFer that can’t play CF. That’s my take, but the Braves may value Frazier as highly as his prospect ratings suggest.
    I think he's been pushed a little fast and the trade from Cleveland to the Yankees didn't help him much. He should have never made it to Yankees stadium last year but they had guys hurt. He's still developing but if he can get his K rate down a bit and continue to develop his game power then his shortcomings for CF may be a strength in LF or RF.

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Reason I said Frazier, I assume NYY prefers Florial over Frazier but if given the choice between the two, believe I'd take Florial.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"