Thread: Rasmussen to become FA: Where are you Coppy?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Rasmussen to become FA: Where are you Coppy?

This is tailor-made for a Copo coup:

LINK

Multiple sources are saying Rasmussen is electing free agency. His velo was hitting 98 this year; worries about his TJ surgery seem to be pointless.

RHP, 6-2, 210. College junior...no downside if he checks out OK. Would this be the cherry on top?

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Had Tommy John's? Sounds like an option for us.

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I don't see reason not to pursue this. It would essentially work out to that extra comp pick Coppy wanted but couldn't get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    no downside if he checks out OK
    that's a big if...the situation sounds fishy...why would Tampa not even make him a minimum offer
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    that's a big if...the situation sounds fishy...why would Tampa not even make him a minimum offer
    Yeah I'm with you. This is far from a no brainer. He already had TJ, so if there's arm trouble again, I don't know that it would be worth what he'd cost on the open market. Especially since Tampa had better info than anyone, drafted him and still passed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    This is such an odd situation.

Apparently, a team must make an offer at least 40% of slot value. If the player refuses, he can ONLY go back to school. In that case the team loses that portion of the pool money and gets a pick in the next draft one spot later.

The Rays failed to offer him 40% of slot value, so that allows him to elect free agency, OR go back to school. He elected to become a FA.

This should have meant the Rays don't get a compensation pick in the next draft.

HOWEVER, there is an obscure rule that states any of the Top 50 draft eligible pitchers that decline an invitation to undergo a pre-draft MRI do NOT have to be offered 40% of slot. This loophole is allowing the Rays to still get another pick in the next draft.

I have no opinion on if they should sign him or not. He will get $1M-$2M on the FA market and his arm will probably blow up within 2-3 years. It's a risk, and I don't care whether or not the Braves take it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-07-2017 at 03:58 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Would he have had a physical or thrown for them between being drafted and parting ways?

Could be something else.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is such an odd situation.

Apparently, a team must make an offer at least 40% of slot value. If the player refuses, he can ONLY go back to school. In that case the team loses that portion of the pool money and gets a pick in the next draft one spot later.

The Rays failed to offer him 40% of slot value, so that allows him to elect free agency, OR go back to school. He elected to become a FA.

This should have meant the Rays don't get a compensation pick in the next draft.

HOWEVER, there is an obscure rule that states any of the Top 50 draft eligible pitchers that decline an invitation to undergo a pre-draft MRI do NOT have to be offered 40% of slot. This loophole is allowing the Rays to still get another pick in the next draft.

I have no opinion on if they should sign him or not. He will get $1M-$2M on the FA market and his arm will probably blow up within 2-3 years. It's a risk, and I don't care whether or not the Braves take it.
    I was wondering how he could become a FA.. I always thought if you refused an offer, you could only go back into the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I was wondering how he could become a FA.. I always thought if you refused an offer, you could only go back into the draft.
    Strategically I guess you can argue that having two first round picks is more valuable than taking on a risk you don't feel comfortable with.

It would seem that he will either have to show a clean MRI and get a bigger bonus than he otherwise might have or potentially refuse and get less. will be interesting to see what he signs for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The real prize here would be Jack Conlin. He was Baltimore's 4th round pick, didn't sign and is now an unrestricted free agent. Bonus pool money doesn't apply either. Big RHP from a high school in Texas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-07-2017)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    The real prize here would be Jack Conlin. He was Baltimore's 4th round pick, didn't sign and is now an unrestricted free agent. Bonus pool money doesn't apply either. Big RHP from a high school in Texas.
    Apparently the 3rd time since 2012 they haven't signed all their top 10 picks.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    If he's hitting 98 regularly with his fastball, and not changing speeds effectively, he'll have TJ again.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    No law says one team can't sign both. There's no pool or luxury tax to worry about.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Conlin has already told Texas A&M he'll be there for multiple seasons.

Gig Em

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Conlin has already told Texas A&M he'll be there for multiple seasons.

Gig Em
    He'll get to enjoy losing to the true maroon team in the SEC then for the next few years. Hail State.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Baseball America saying Conlin could get first-round money.