Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ronald Acuña, Sr. Goes Off On Snitker

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    That wasn’t my point….those young stars are good for the game and breath of fresh air… but they still have an obligation to play the game the right way and play hard….Does a player’s post HR celebration routine excuse them from making bone head decisions?

I love the new energy these young guys bring…especially Acuna…there are just some things that he does that I don’t like…nothing wrong with that…
    Nothing at all wrong with that. But Twit screwed up a great opportunity to dress him down...in private. For all of the "Braves Way," crap I've heard since forever, LaRussa type managerial disgust was always done in house. Cox pulled AJones for the right reasons and still protected him to the media. He acknowledged what happened, but 'stupid' that I know wasn't used.

In any case, I feel Acuña is the last person Twit protects. I suspect Cox would have been ejected 3 times I know of due to Acuña being intentionally thrown at. Long story short for me....as a young talented superstar he still has room to grow. He shouldn't be admonished for every bone headed play he makes. Especially by Twit...who acts like the dad begrudgingly playing child support and has to keep his son against his will..lol.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (06-19-2021), jpx7 (06-18-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    That wasn’t my point….those young stars are good for the game and breath of fresh air… but they still have an obligation to play the game the right way and play hard….Does a player’s post HR celebration routine excuse them from making bone head decisions?

I love the new energy these young guys bring…especially Acuna…there are just some things that he does that I don’t like…nothing wrong with that…
    Who decides what the right way to play is? Is it a bunch of grumpy old boomers who are upset that they grow more obsolete by the day? If it is, then I'm completely ok with Acuna doing everything the opposite of how they want it done. At this point, if there are things he does that you don't like, it's because you're uncomfortable with young latin stars and their effect on baseball, not anything they're doing...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

goldfly (06-19-2021), jpx7 (06-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Who decides what the right way to play is? Is it a bunch of grumpy old boomers who are upset that they grow more obsolete by the day? If it is, then I'm completely ok with Acuna doing everything the opposite of how they want it done. At this point, if there are things he does that you don't like, it's because you're uncomfortable with young latin stars and their effect on baseball, not anything they're doing...
    Don’t bring race into this ****. I’ve said in several posts that I absolutely love Acuna and what he brings to this team…He, like most players on this team do things that I personally do not like…that doesn’t mean I’m going to cross the street every time I see a person of color walking down the road….don’t be ridiculous…

Who decided how the game is played? The game itself decides how it’s played…Pimping a HR and getting thrown out at 2B is not playing the game the right way…enough to have Freeman call you out in the media…base running blunders trying to stretch a completely unnecessary 3B…if you can’t decide by now how the game of baseball should be played at all levels and just want to blame “some old white man” then you need to take your fckn blinders off Lib.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with that. But Twit screwed up a great opportunity to dress him down...in private. For all of the "Braves Way," crap I've heard since forever, LaRussa type managerial disgust was always done in house. Cox pulled AJones for the right reasons and still protected him to the media. He acknowledged what happened, but 'stupid' that I know wasn't used.

In any case, I feel Acuña is the last person Twit protects. I suspect Cox would have been ejected 3 times I know of due to Acuña being intentionally thrown at. Long story short for me....as a young talented superstar he still has room to grow. He shouldn't be admonished for every bone headed play he makes. Especially by Twit...who acts like the dad begrudgingly playing child support and has to keep his son against his will..lol.
    Couldn’t agree more my man.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Don’t bring race into this ****. I’ve said in several posts that I absolutely love Acuna and what he brings to this team…He, like most players on this team do things that I personally do not like…that doesn’t mean I’m going to cross the street every time I see a person of color walking down the road….don’t be ridiculous…

Who decided how the game is played? The game itself decides how it’s played…Pimping a HR and getting thrown out at 2B is not playing the game the right way…enough to have Freeman call you out in the media…base running blunders trying to stretch a completely unnecessary 3B…if you can’t decide by now how the game of baseball should be played at all levels and just want to blame “some old white man” then you need to take your fckn blinders off Lib.
    Only thing I will disagree with is the pimping of homers. If it's not effecting performance on the field then it doesn't really bother me at all. Getting thrown out at 3rd in that situation was a very bad baserunning play. Acuna even admitted that. Those things happen from time to time though.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Only thing I will disagree with is the pimping of homers. If it's not effecting performance on the field then it doesn't really bother me at all. Getting thrown out at 3rd in that situation was a very bad baserunning play. Acuna even admitted that. Those things happen from time to time though.
    I think there needs to be delineation between the notion of playing the supposed "right" way and bonehead mistakes. I don't care if Acuna does sommersaults around the bases after hitting a HR. Playing with style and flair has been amped up but it's always been around. Willie Mays used to play with his cap cocked a certain way so that he would "run out of it" while stealing bases or making running catches in the outfield. Ozzie Smith did back flips while taking his position. I get a little put out when the clear intent is showing up the opposition, but that's been around awhile as well (anyone remember Jeffrey Leonard's "flaps down" home run trot?).

What I was talking about in my earlier post is that we are seeing more fundamental mistakes being made and that's what ticks me off. There is really no excuse for guys at the major league level making these kinds of Little League mistakes and I don't know what to atttribute it to.,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

PawPawMaxwell (06-19-2021)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Agree with 50. As long as the fundamentals of competition and entertainment with the final goal being victory each and every time you step on the field. My biggest fault finding is the fraternal actions on the bases.
    Just like a boxing match, you are there to kick your opponents butt, not socialize with him.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Agree with 50. As long as the fundamentals of competition and entertainment with the final goal being victory each and every time you step on the field. My biggest fault finding is the fraternal actions on the bases.
    Just like a boxing match, you are there to kick your opponents butt, not socialize with him.
    That's left the major sports a long time ago and doesn't bother me at all to be honest. The days of being loyal to the name on front of your jersey are long gone. And with the way the players are treated as assets in sports it's not that big of a deal to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

chopdrew (06-19-2021)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yeah I don’t think it is hard to separate not watching an easy double in the batters box with having fun. If a player has troubles with that then a good dress down in private is ok. Costing your team advantages to pimp yourself is not old man yelling at clouds situation.
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Yeah I don’t think it is hard to separate not watching an easy double in the batters box with having fun. If a player has troubles with that then a good dress down in private is ok. Costing your team advantages to pimp yourself is not old man yelling at clouds situation.
    I don't know....there's a lot of Grandpa Simpson in Snit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    That's left the major sports a long time ago and doesn't bother me at all to be honest. The days of being loyal to the name on front of your jersey are long gone. And with the way the players are treated as assets in sports it's not that big of a deal to me.
    Then if baseball (or any pro sports) is simply entertainment to you why bother watching every game, commenting endlessly about what is right or wrong with the Braves. The guy like FF getting 22M per to play a game for entertainment and may or may not be satisfied with that much, or Garret Cole getting in excess of $1M every time he steps on the mound dont owe any loyalty to the people who pay them? I suggest you watch the Little League World Series where every kid out there hopes he will get to the show some day. That is what competition is to me. I do agree with you on most pro sports and I havent watched a NFL or NBA game in years.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Then if baseball (or any pro sports) is simply entertainment to you why bother watching every game, commenting endlessly about what is right or wrong with the Braves. The guy like FF getting 22M per to play a game for entertainment and may or may not be satisfied with that much, or Garret Cole getting in excess of $1M every time he steps on the mound dont owe any loyalty to the people who pay them? I suggest you watch the Little League World Series where every kid out there hopes he will get to the show some day. That is what competition is to me. I do agree with you on most pro sports and I havent watched a NFL or NBA game in years.
    Well that is a multi faceted post.

The Braves do bring me entertainment and I'm fully invested in the team as a fan. Thus me watching most games and posting a lot here.

Players salary should not have anything to do with a players loyalty. That's about fair compensation. And I'm always going to be on the players side of this. If the owners are making billions then the players deserve half of the revenue.

You can both be competitive and want to beat your opponent and also be friendly with opponents on the bases.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

chopdrew (06-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Then there will just be some points we will probably never agree on. BTW nothing I have posted here is meant to be argumentative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Need some patty with that melt.

This isn't 1955. Guys aren't gonna grit their teeth and sprint the bases with their heads down after a HR anymore. The way Ronald Acuna wants to play is "the right way," and I hope he never stops being him just to appease the Grandpa Simpsons of the world, ****ker included. They can stay in the stands, bemoaning the death of the suicide squeeze and bitching about guys not "hitting it on the ground and making the defense make a play" anymore. Those tropes are every bit as outdated as "play the whi- i mean, right way" horse****.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Need some patty with that melt.

This isn't 1955. Guys aren't gonna grit their teeth and sprint the bases with their heads down after a HR anymore. The way Ronald Acuna wants to play is "the right way," and I hope he never stops being him just to appease the Grandpa Simpsons of the world, ****ker included. They can stay in the stands, bemoaning the death of the suicide squeeze and bitching about guys not "hitting it on the ground and making the defense make a play" anymore. Those tropes are every bit as outdated as "play the whi- i mean, right way" horse****.
    I think there is a difference in the way Acuna shows flair like his dance at third base after a homer and pimping a homerun in the playoffs only to see it hit off the wall and get thrown out at 2nd. One is fun and silly and the other costs the team outs/runs. The same with his base running mistake against Boston. Him attempting to go to third was a bad bad move. You can both like his flair for the game and acknowledge that he's had some costly base running issues. I don't care for the Joe Simpson's of the world and their view on the modern game of baseball. But this is not that. Acuna made a mistake. He acknowledged himself. Anyone that knows an ounce of baseball knows it was horrible. I get that Snit was frustrated because of that and how the team has been playing all season. But as the manager of the team he should have dealt with it in the clubhouse and not said anything to the media.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I think there is a difference in the way Acuna shows flair like his dance at third base after a homer and pimping a homerun in the playoffs only to see it hit off the wall and get thrown out at 2nd. One is fun and silly and the other costs the team outs/runs. The same with his base running mistake against Boston. Him attempting to go to third was a bad bad move. You can both like his flair for the game and acknowledge that he's had some costly base running issues. I don't care for the Joe Simpson's of the world and their view on the modern game of baseball. But this is not that. Acuna made a mistake. He acknowledged himself. Anyone that knows an ounce of baseball knows it was horrible. I get that Snit was frustrated because of that and how the team has been playing all season. But as the manager of the team he should have dealt with it in the clubhouse and not said anything to the media.
    I'm not sure I agree, but I at least accept that rationale. I don't think I can ever fault a kid for trying to make something happen in the heat of the moment when he's one of the fastest baserunners in the league. The HR pimping thing didn't bother me as much as it did most people I guess. I don't think you can assume we would've scored and I was at that game and I thought it was gone, too. I also had more of a problem with Freeman criticizing him publicly when he was hitting about a buck fifteen in the postseason for his career up to that point. Plank in his own eye and all that...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I'm not sure I agree, but I at least accept that rationale. I don't think I can ever fault a kid for trying to make something happen in the heat of the moment when he's one of the fastest baserunners in the league. The HR pimping thing didn't bother me as much as it did most people I guess. I don't think you can assume we would've scored and I was at that game and I thought it was gone, too. I also had more of a problem with Freeman criticizing him publicly when he was hitting about a buck fifteen in the postseason for his career up to that point. Plank in his own eye and all that...
    What you're saying works on Little League fields, but Acuna--regardless of how fantastic he is--is not a man playing among boys. The other team is comprised of professionals and knows what it is doing (unless, obviously, it's the Pirates). If Acuna makes that mistake when the team is up five or down ten, I might look at it differently, but it was a key point in the game and he took the bat out of the hands of our best hitters other than him. It was a bonehead move which he acknowledged as such. How Snitker handled it is a legitimate beef, but I don't see how anyone can really defend Acuna. I'd say the same thing about his scoring from second earlier in the year when he hurt himself. Sometimes being aggressive is stupid. I assure you, if Bryce Harper had done the same thing, this board would be all over him.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    What you're saying works on Little League fields, but Acuna--regardless of how fantastic he is--is not a man playing among boys. The other team is comprised of professionals and knows what it is doing (unless, obviously, it's the Pirates). If Acuna makes that mistake when the team is up five or down ten, I might look at it differently, but it was a key point in the game and he took the bat out of the hands of our best hitters other than him. It was a bonehead move which he acknowledged as such. How Snitker handled it is a legitimate beef, but I don't see how anyone can really defend Acuna. I'd say the same thing about his scoring from second earlier in the year when he hurt himself. Sometimes being aggressive is stupid. I assure you, if Bryce Harper had done the same thing, this board would be all over him.
    I'm usually with ya 50, and Acuña can be frighteningly....young, but this team is boring and azz without him. I have NO issue calling him out for his play but it's way overblown considering the dumb ish Swanson, Riley, Contreras, et.al, do almost nightly. I don't think Acuña is getting a pass at all. He has been ripped pretty consistently by purists, casuals and know it alls. I get it.

I don't get Twits constant bs handling of him. If that were my dad "protecting me," I'd just brag to the other kid about how my mom could beat up his mom. I'm still pissed about it. I was at the Cardinal game and section 112 was still talking about it!

No player is bigger than the team. But this entire incident has pushed me to the edge with Twit (as if his game management hasn't done that enough).
    Last edited by Deester11; 06-19-2021 at 01:49 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    For some reason 4 pages on this seems ...like a lot.

It’s probably already settled out in the ch.
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    For some reason 4 pages on this seems ...like a lot.

It’s probably already settled out in the ch.
    Not for me. Beating a dead horse still happens.